Slow down mid-game?

I have not used CSD in a few months.

Could you list out how your game options are set? (interface options, video, audio, etc) When solving another problem we found certain settings could cause problems on some computers and not others. Basic help, reward popups, small interface caused (fixable) problems in the past, and perhaps some other option is causing the problem.

Quick combat and strategic view have a known vanilla bug described on the Vanilla Bugs list. The EndCombatSim event does not run in these circumstances, and it's the only thing Firaxis provided modders to detect combat. These things rely on detecting combat:

• Blitz promotion
  • Professional Army policy
  • Germany, Denmark, Aztecs

For me VEM is a lot slower than vanilla and NIGHTS, which even has more content.

To be fair, VEM has significantly more content than NIGHTS (close to 10 times as much), especially in regards to creating new aspects of gameplay. NIGHTS has more aesthetic changes and additional elements (such as adding buildings or techs, which require no added functionality).

On a game speed end of things, adding 50 new buildings and 25 more techs and 20 more policies will probably create less lag in turn time than creating the Macchu Picchu effect, promotions that automatically adjust when unit type changes, interesting border pop mechanics, etc.

I have been experiencing the slowdowns using just CIVUP, no other mods, and with VEM disabled, and Quick Combat off. My settings are:

Game Options - only SP Auto End Turn is checked, all others are off
Map Info set to 1 sec
Advisor set to New to Civ 5 (I'll try switching it to Experienced)

Interface options are:
Only Show All Policy Info and Auto Unit Cycle on, all others off
Auto Interface Size
5 turns between autosave and 5 autosaves allowed

I have not used CSD in a few months.

Could you list out how your game options are set? (interface options, video, audio, etc) When solving another problem we found certain settings could cause problems on some computers and not others. Basic help, reward popups, small interface caused (fixable) problems in the past, and perhaps some other option is causing the problem.

Quick combat and strategic view have a known vanilla bug described on the Vanilla Bugs list. The EndCombatSim event does not run in these circumstances, and it's the only thing Firaxis provided modders to detect combat. These things rely on detecting combat:

• Blitz promotion
  • Professional Army policy
  • Germany, Denmark, Aztecs

Made a few tweaks to CSD in v26 that have made a noticeable difference in terms of gameplay speed. Just FYI for anyone interested.

Cool. I'll try v26 out soon. 108 of VEM has noticeably improved my turn times.

Oh that's something I forgot to mention! Saving the game is very time-intensive, and when I had autosaves set to every 1 turn it slowed down the game a lot. Autosaving every 2nd or 3rd turn speeds up the game if you had it at lower values.

Oh that's something I forgot to mention! Saving the game is very time-intensive, and when I had autosaves set to every 1 turn it slowed down the game a lot. Autosaving every 2nd or 3rd turn speeds up the game if you had it at lower values.

Thal,
Is CSD integrated into TBC or not? I cannot remember what we decided to do– if it is, make sure and check your buildingrequirements.lua script you wrote for CSD a while back (the one that enables the 75% for national wonders modification for the two buildings for CSD) – apparently, I had accidentally left one of the IF lines tied to a BUILDING_NEWSPAPER– this should be BUILDING_FOREIGN_OFFICE (as the newspaper office is no longer in CSD).
G

It's not integrated into VEM since the two mods are compatible independently. I'm waiting to include localized diplomacy for when we get game core access:
Spoiler :
Here's my thoughts on city-states. I intend to do this if/when we have access to the c++ part of the code.
  • CS quests are not interesting.
  • Distance should be a strategic factor (as done in Gazebo's CSD mod).
Let's say we have a diplomacy unit, the Agent. It's basically like a trainable Great Merchant that can only perform the citystate trade mission. When we activate the Agent in citystate territory, a Civ4-style event box pops up which a choice of performing a diplomacy or espionage quest:

• The diplomatic quest requires little investment, gives influence, and major-civ AIs are more likely to have a "friendly" attitude to the player.
  • Picking a covert mission gives much more influence, requires a significant investment from the player (such as gold or gifted units), and increases major-civ "deceptive" likelihood.
The quests we receive are randomized, but influenced by the personality of the citystate. The missions could also involve performing secondary actions like building a road (diplomatic) or disrupting the wedding plans of a rival citystate's royal family (covert).

The Agent itself is a non-combat unit stackable with military, and has an experience bar. Completing missions gives experience to pick promotions like sight range and movement speed. Some buildings could also give Agents experience when trained.

To be fair, VEM has significantly more content than NIGHTS (close to 10 times as much), especially in regards to creating new aspects of gameplay. NIGHTS has more aesthetic changes and additional elements (such as adding buildings or techs, which require no added functionality).

On a game speed end of things, adding 50 new buildings and 25 more techs and 20 more policies will probably create less lag in turn time than creating the Macchu Picchu effect, promotions that automatically adjust when unit type changes, interesting border pop mechanics, etc.

I thought about this too, but you are right :)

Top Bottom