Slower Tech by Era

This is a great thread, thanks.

Would it be possible to do it the other way around? As in playing on Epic, and leaving the tech/civic speeds as is, but speeding up the production times? Could that be done just as "easy"?
Don't have time to take a closer look right now, but it seems like there is only one value that scales everything this time around, so I'd say it's probably easier just to go down to Standard Speed and just change all tech/civic modifiers in the original mod with a *1.75 modifier. That should be Standard Everything with Epic Research/Civic times.

Yeah, but wouldn't that lead to slow evolution? Like learning to write somewhere around 1800 AD, and flying somewhere in the 21s century?

-- Gives Warriors a Base Maintenance cost
UPDATE Units SET Maintenance = 1 WHERE UnitType = 'UNIT_WARRIOR';

Would this mess with City States? Do they continue building warriors like crazy (fields of 10-20 warriors) and bankrupt themselves?
Or do they now stop building warriors when their economy cant support it? That would be a nice bonus, fixing their warrior spam.
It fixes it, yes.

this thing is great, love the pacing this provides... I kind of wish we can also slow down the clock?
Slowing down the clock is tricky. There is a formula for it but you have to know how many turns it takes to progress through an era if you want accuracy. I spent time doing this with Civ 5 and I based it on the first Civ that reached next era. It's a time consuming task.

Great work. Thanks!

I am a bit confused about what to use between this and 8 Ages of Pace.
They seem to have the same purpose.

Great work. Thanks!

I am a bit confused about what to use between this and 8 Ages of Pace.
They seem to have the same purpose.
8 ages of pace adds a few more things like faster movement on roads and faster border growth as well as slowing down civics costs as well. You could edit this mod to have those features or use the other one. I myself use this mod as I added those other features to another mod that I'm using so I didn't need them. You really should use some kind of fast production mod with either one so you can actually take advantage of the slower research times.

Just wanted to say that I've tested a few variations of this mod, and the conclusion is that slowing down tech by as much as many of you have suggested leads to the game running out of turns before the tech tree is finished.

Here's the settings I've ended up with, I think this should lead to balanced games where the tech level matches the year pretty well:

Spoiler :

UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = Cost*1 WHERE EraType ='ERA_ANCIENT';
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = Cost*1.2 WHERE EraType ='ERA_CLASSICAL';
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = Cost*1.3 WHERE EraType ='ERA_MEDIEVAL';
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = Cost*1.4 WHERE EraType ='ERA_RENAISSANCE';
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = Cost*1.5 WHERE EraType ='ERA_INDUSTRIAL';
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = Cost*1.6 WHERE EraType ='ERA_MODERN';
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = Cost*1.7 WHERE EraType ='ERA_ATOMIC';
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = Cost*1.8 WHERE EraType ='ERA_INFORMATION';
UPDATE Civics SET Cost = Cost*1 WHERE EraType ='ERA_ANCIENT';
UPDATE Civics SET Cost = Cost*1.2 WHERE EraType ='ERA_CLASSICAL';
UPDATE Civics SET Cost = Cost*1.3 WHERE EraType ='ERA_MEDIEVAL';
UPDATE Civics SET Cost = Cost*1.4 WHERE EraType ='ERA_RENAISSANCE';
UPDATE Civics SET Cost = Cost*1.5 WHERE EraType ='ERA_INDUSTRIAL';
UPDATE Civics SET Cost = Cost*1.6 WHERE EraType ='ERA_MODERN';
UPDATE Civics SET Cost = Cost*1.7 WHERE EraType ='ERA_ATOMIC';
UPDATE Civics SET Cost = Cost*1.8 WHERE EraType ='ERA_INFORMATION';
UPDATE Eras SET GreatPersonBaseCost = GreatPersonBaseCost*1 WHERE EraType = 'ERA_ANCIENT';
UPDATE Eras SET GreatPersonBaseCost = GreatPersonBaseCost*1.2 WHERE EraType = 'ERA_CLASSICAL';
UPDATE Eras SET GreatPersonBaseCost = GreatPersonBaseCost*1.3 WHERE EraType = 'ERA_MEDIEVAL';
UPDATE Eras SET GreatPersonBaseCost = GreatPersonBaseCost*1.4 WHERE EraType = 'ERA_RENAISSANCE';
UPDATE Eras SET GreatPersonBaseCost = GreatPersonBaseCost*1.5 WHERE EraType = 'ERA_INDUSTRIAL';
UPDATE Eras SET GreatPersonBaseCost = GreatPersonBaseCost*1.6 WHERE EraType = 'ERA_MODERN';
UPDATE Eras SET GreatPersonBaseCost = GreatPersonBaseCost*1.7 WHERE EraType = 'ERA_ATOMIC';
UPDATE Eras SET GreatPersonBaseCost = GreatPersonBaseCost*1.8 WHERE EraType = 'ERA_INFORMATION';
UPDATE ModifierArguments SET Value = "-20" WHERE ModifierId = "MINOR_CIV_PRODUCTION_PENALTY" AND Name = "Amount";
UPDATE Units SET Cost = Cost * 1.5 WHERE UnitType = "UNIT_MISSIONARY" OR UnitType = "UNIT_APOSTLE" OR UnitType = "UNIT_INQUISITOR";
UPDATE Boosts SET Boost = Boost / 1.5;

Just wanted to say that I've tested a few variations of this mod, and the conclusion is that slowing down tech by as much as many of you have suggested leads to the game running out of turns before the tech tree is finished.

Here's the settings I've ended up with, I think this should lead to balanced games where the tech level matches the year pretty well:

Or just disable turn times when setting up a new game. People who play with slower tech do it so they can play much longer games and enjoy each era to the fullest. There is no way to do that without going way beyond the turns provided by the base game without disabling turn times on the custom game setup screen. It has no effect on gameplay other then to extend the game which is kind of the point of using mods like this one.

Hi Ryika !

Kind of random, but... here's a list of some more general changes that I've been playing around with:

-- Builers/Trade Routes cost 1 Population
UPDATE Units SET PopulationCost = 1, PrereqPopulation = 2 WHERE UnitType = 'UNIT_BUILDER';
UPDATE Units SET PopulationCost = 1, PrereqPopulation = 2 WHERE UnitType = 'UNIT_TRADER';

How is that working out for you? Its an interesting change. Think I'm going to try it.

I personally didn't like it that much, it made producing those units feel pretty weird, because it meant that I wanted to produce them in smaller cities, because losing a pop there is less "expensive".

But if you can live with that it's pretty neat.

Can i make these changes in the middle of the game? or i need to apply them before the begging of the game?

Thanks for the good work!

Is it possible to modify the cost of a specific tech/civic with this mod?

Is it possible to modify the cost of a specific tech/civic with this mod?
From looking at the SQL posted, but not having tried it, I would say that a proper WHERE clause should do the trick, given you know the name of the specific tech you want to modify. Should look somewhat like this:
Code:
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = Cost*2.5 WHERE TechType = 'TECH_ANIMAL_HUSBANDRY'

Which values would be good to make tech and civics tree pass more historically accurate? So that eras are reached approximately in the correct century... Not 1.000 years early

I have been experimenting around a bit with values, but turns out stuff is more complicated than expected.
Changing the cost of techs and civics requires you to earn more science and culture to achieve them, but at the same time, units and buildings get cheaper in relation to the cost of techs and civics. Same with city growth, your cities grow relatively faster compared to the advance in vanilla. Thus civilizations grow faster, which means earning more points faster, which again results in faster tech and civic research.
So at the moment I am testing with changed tech and civic speed as well as higher building and unit cost plus slower city growth. Testing is slow tho since I am a Giant/Marathon player :D
Don't have the currently used values here (at work), but might post them later if someone is interested.

Fantastic little mod here. Thanks very much.

Is there any way to change this mod's settings mid-saved-game? I've got a great game going, but I underestimated the size of the multiplier needed by later eras in order to retain the same epic feel. I'm loath to abandon the game, so: is it possible to change the mod's settings and have them take effect in this game? I know that no new mods can be loaded, but I've read conflicting reports about the possibility of changing a mod's settings mid-game.

(I've actually already tried to change the settings, substantially beefing up the modifiers, but it does not seem to have changed anything. Am I hoping for the impossible, or...?)

Thanks!

Or just disable turn times when setting up a new game. People who play with slower tech do it so they can play much longer games and enjoy each era to the fullest. There is no way to do that without going way beyond the turns provided by the base game without disabling turn times on the custom game setup screen. It has no effect on gameplay other then to extend the game which is kind of the point of using mods like this one.

You were missing the point. Unmodded, the game hits the information era in around year 500 CE, with hundreds of turns left in the game. The point of mods like this is not simply to make the eras last longer, but to make them last as long as intended, so you finish up the tech tree around the time the game naturally ends.

Anyway, returning to the game with the latest patch, I see the later eras have been extended slightly by Firaxis, but a variation of this mod is definitely still needed, just with smaller multipliers.

Thank you for such a lovely customization. I like to play on highest difficulties, but it usually gives me guns vs arrows situation which is utterly ridiculous. Not anymore! I just had a nice classical era game experience.
Spoiler lock from medieval and further :

UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = Cost*1 WHERE EraType ='ERA_ANCIENT';
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = Cost*1.2 WHERE EraType ='ERA_CLASSICAL';
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = Cost*999 WHERE EraType ='ERA_MEDIEVAL';
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = Cost*999 WHERE EraType ='ERA_RENAISSANCE';
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = Cost*999 WHERE EraType ='ERA_INDUSTRIAL';
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = Cost*999 WHERE EraType ='ERA_MODERN';
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = Cost*999 WHERE EraType ='ERA_ATOMIC';
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = Cost*999 WHERE EraType ='ERA_INFORMATION';
UPDATE Civics SET Cost = Cost*1 WHERE EraType ='ERA_ANCIENT';
UPDATE Civics SET Cost = Cost*1.2 WHERE EraType ='ERA_CLASSICAL';
UPDATE Civics SET Cost = Cost*999 WHERE EraType ='ERA_MEDIEVAL';
UPDATE Civics SET Cost = Cost*999 WHERE EraType ='ERA_RENAISSANCE';
UPDATE Civics SET Cost = Cost*999 WHERE EraType ='ERA_INDUSTRIAL';
UPDATE Civics SET Cost = Cost*999 WHERE EraType ='ERA_MODERN';
UPDATE Civics SET Cost = Cost*999 WHERE EraType ='ERA_ATOMIC';
UPDATE Civics SET Cost = Cost*999 WHERE EraType ='ERA_INFORMATION';
UPDATE Eras SET GreatPersonBaseCost = GreatPersonBaseCost*1 WHERE EraType = 'ERA_ANCIENT';
UPDATE Eras SET GreatPersonBaseCost = GreatPersonBaseCost*1.2 WHERE EraType = 'ERA_CLASSICAL';
UPDATE Eras SET GreatPersonBaseCost = GreatPersonBaseCost*999 WHERE EraType = 'ERA_MEDIEVAL';
UPDATE Eras SET GreatPersonBaseCost = GreatPersonBaseCost*999 WHERE EraType = 'ERA_RENAISSANCE';
UPDATE Eras SET GreatPersonBaseCost = GreatPersonBaseCost*999 WHERE EraType = 'ERA_INDUSTRIAL';
UPDATE Eras SET GreatPersonBaseCost = GreatPersonBaseCost*999 WHERE EraType = 'ERA_MODERN';
UPDATE Eras SET GreatPersonBaseCost = GreatPersonBaseCost*999 WHERE EraType = 'ERA_ATOMIC';
UPDATE Eras SET GreatPersonBaseCost = GreatPersonBaseCost*999 WHERE EraType = 'ERA_INFORMATION';
UPDATE ModifierArguments SET Value = "-20" WHERE ModifierId = "MINOR_CIV_PRODUCTION_PENALTY" AND Name = "Amount";
UPDATE Units SET Cost = Cost * 9 WHERE UnitType = "UNIT_MISSIONARY" OR UnitType = "UNIT_APOSTLE" OR UnitType = "UNIT_INQUISITOR";
UPDATE Boosts SET Boost = Boost / 1.5;

For Diety standard speed I found these values optimal:

ANCIENT: 2x
CLASSICAL: 4x
MEDIEVAL: 6x
RENAISSANCE: 8x
INDUSTRIAL: 10x
MODERN: 12x
ATOMIC: 14x
INFORMATION: 16x

This I applied to tech, culture and great people

According to my tests AI reached information age at about 2000, I barely reached it at about the end of time victory (2050). I found this nice, it allows for enjoying longer eras to their full feature set and years are more-or-less well aligned with the historical eras (Eg.: no atomic age at 500AD).

I have only one serious problem now. Seems acquiring a religion is even more difficult than before. That I believe is (or is partially) because great prophets get exhausted after medieval era even if the max amount of religions is not reached. Is there any way to set different values for great prophets particularly?: Like

UPDATE Eras SET GreatPersonBaseCost = GreatPersonBaseCost*1 WHERE EraType = 'ERA_ANCIENT' AND GreatPersonType = ‘GREAT_PROPHET’.

Top Bottom