1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Slower Tech by Era

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Individual Components' started by Gedemon, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Abitfora

Abitfora Chieftain

What about technologies from tribal villages? Do you guys just disable them?

2. Sotof

Sotof Chieftain

Aren't they just boosts?

3. cryptc

cryptc Chieftain

Awesome, just the sort of tech mod I was looking for, will give it a try as soon as I figure out how much I want to slow tech in the base game... probably I'll just slow it exponentially... x1 x2 x4 x16 x256 and so on...

Edit: it's interesting that it sounds from this thread like Civ6 doesn't have the problem Civ5 had where too large beaker techs just wrapped around and caused everything to be researched in 1 turn instead

4. Timych

Timych Chieftain

You add that to the mod or replace the values?

5. Sotof

Sotof Chieftain

Personally I just replace, but they won't conflict if you just put mine below his.

Timych likes this.
  6. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Chieftain

this thing is great, love the pacing this provides... I kind of wish we can also slow down the clock?

7. Sonereal

Sonereal Call Me Ish Supporter

That's a bit harder because it involves going into the Gamespeeds file and tweaking things yourself, but it is actually pretty easy once you look at it for a bit.

8. cryptc

cryptc Chieftain

If it's anything like modding it in Cv5, the easiest is to slow down what you want slow on a faster gamespeed. I used Standard gamespeed with really slow tech advancement in Civ5 for instance, to have units still be fast to build, to encourage more warfare in each period instead of upgrade paralysis where your units always become obsolete before you manage to wage war with them, especially if trying to war on a different continent (who thinks it's acceptable that you launch an army of your best pikemen and by the time they arrive you're building jet fighters?).

9. Sonereal

Sonereal Call Me Ish Supporter

I must have misunderstood what he said. I thought "slowed down the clock" was talking about the calendar.

10. Mil3High

Mil3High Chieftain

This definitely caused me to obtain a score victory simply because I was in like 2080 AD, and no other victory conditions had been met. I was competing with Kongo for a cultural and/or science victory and had a random score victory screen show up. I was like 200 points above the AI in score, and I appeared to be losing at every victory condition before seeing that. Just be aware.

11. plus

plus Chieftain

hi,just a small question on this... is it true civ6 doesnt have a fixed beakers number like in civ 5 wher eventually you'll get 1 turn per tech if adding too much to the cost ?

12. Valessa

Valessa Communistress

Kind of random, but... here's a list of some more general changes that I've been playing around with:

Spoiler :
    Code:
    -- Camps spawn further away from players (4 tiles -> 7 tiles)
    UPDATE GlobalParameters SET Value = 7 WHERE Name = 'BARBARIAN_CAMP_MINIMUM_DISTANCE_CITY';

-- Replaces the Chiefdoms economic Slot with a wildcard to give everybody access to using the early Great Person Cards
    UPDATE Government_SlotCounts SET GovernmentSlotType = 'SLOT_WILDCARD' WHERE GovernmentType = 'GOVERNMENT_CHIEFDOM' AND GovernmentSlotType = 'SLOT_ECONOMIC';

-- All Units that have a Base Maintenance of 1+ cost 1 more
    UPDATE Units SET Maintenance = Maintenance + 1 WHERE Maintenance > 0;

-- Gives Warriors a Base Maintenance cost
    UPDATE Units SET Maintenance = 1 WHERE UnitType = 'UNIT_WARRIOR';

-- Explorers start with a free Promotion
    UPDATE Units SET InitialLevel = 2 WHERE UnitType = 'UNIT_SCOUT';

-- Scouts have +1 Vision Range
    UPDATE Units SET BaseSightRange = 3 WHERE UnitType = 'UNIT_SCOUT';

-- Builers/Trade Routes cost 1 Population
    UPDATE Units SET PopulationCost = 1, PrereqPopulation = 2 WHERE UnitType = 'UNIT_BUILDER';
    UPDATE Units SET PopulationCost = 1, PrereqPopulation = 2 WHERE UnitType = 'UNIT_TRADER';

-- Higher Cost for religious Units (less spam)
    UPDATE Units SET Cost = Cost * 1.5 WHERE UnitType = 'UNIT_MISSIONARY';
    UPDATE Units SET Cost = Cost * 1.5 WHERE UnitType = 'UNIT_APOSTLE';
    UPDATE Units SET Cost = Cost * 1.5 WHERE UnitType = 'UNIT_INQUISITOR';

-- Traders Scale per Unit built, not over time
    UPDATE Units SET CostProgressionModel = 'COST_PROGRESSION_PREVIOUS_COPIES', CostProgressionParam1 = 10 WHERE UnitType = 'UNIT_TRADER';

-- All Districts that add Production to Trade Routes (except the city center ) now add Food instead
    UPDATE District_TradeRouteYields SET YieldType = 'YIELD_FOOD' WHERE YieldType = 'YIELD_PRODUCTION' AND DistrictType <> 'DISTRICT_CITY_CENTER';

-- My preferred technology scaling (yes, that's +10, not * 10)
    UPDATE Technologies     SET Cost = Cost + 10    WHERE EraType ='ERA_ANCIENT';
    UPDATE Technologies     SET Cost = Cost * 1.5     WHERE EraType ='ERA_CLASSICAL';
    UPDATE Technologies     SET Cost = Cost * 1.5    WHERE EraType ='ERA_MEDIEVAL';
    UPDATE Technologies     SET Cost = Cost * 2        WHERE EraType ='ERA_RENAISSANCE';
    UPDATE Technologies     SET Cost = Cost * 2        WHERE EraType ='ERA_INDUSTRIAL';
    UPDATE Technologies     SET Cost = Cost * 2.5    WHERE EraType ='ERA_MODERN';
    UPDATE Technologies     SET Cost = Cost * 2.5    WHERE EraType ='ERA_ATOMIC';
    UPDATE Technologies     SET Cost = Cost * 3        WHERE EraType ='ERA_INFORMATION';

-- My preferred Civics scaling (yes, that's +10, not * 10)
    UPDATE Civics     SET Cost = Cost + 10    WHERE EraType ='ERA_ANCIENT' AND CivicType <> 'CIVIC_CODE_OF_LAWS';
    UPDATE Civics     SET Cost = Cost * 1.5    WHERE EraType ='ERA_CLASSICAL';
    UPDATE Civics     SET Cost = Cost * 1.5    WHERE EraType ='ERA_MEDIEVAL';
    UPDATE Civics     SET Cost = Cost * 2        WHERE EraType ='ERA_RENAISSANCE';
    UPDATE Civics     SET Cost = Cost * 2     WHERE EraType ='ERA_INDUSTRIAL';
    UPDATE Civics     SET Cost = Cost * 2.5     WHERE EraType ='ERA_MODERN';
    UPDATE Civics     SET Cost = Cost * 2.5     WHERE EraType ='ERA_ATOMIC';
    UPDATE Civics     SET Cost = Cost * 3     WHERE EraType ='ERA_INFORMATION';

-- Reduce Warmonger Penalty from declaring war by 50% (/edit: I haven't tested this one, but it should work.)
    UPDATE DiplomaticActions SET WarmongerPercent = WarmongerPercent / 2 WHERE WarmongerPercent IS NOT NULL;

-- Reduce Eurekas for all Techs and/or Civics  to 25%
    UPDATE Boosts SET Boost = 25 WHERE TechnologyType IS NOT NULL;
    UPDATE Boosts SET Boost = 25 WHERE CivicType IS NOT NULL;

Just copy-paste the lines you want to use into the mod's rules.sql file; numbers can of course be changed freely within logical parameters.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
    Dearmad, Kavis, AlextheGr8 and 2 others like this.
  13. Aster87

Aster87 Chieftain

This is what I did: I took similar stuff and added into one pack: But feel free to change:

Code:

UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = Cost*1.1    WHERE EraType ='ERA_ANCIENT'; -- just for reference
    UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = Cost*1.2 WHERE EraType ='ERA_CLASSICAL';
    UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = Cost*1.3    WHERE EraType ='ERA_MEDIEVAL';
    UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = Cost*1.5    WHERE EraType ='ERA_RENAISSANCE';
    UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = Cost*1.6    WHERE EraType ='ERA_INDUSTRIAL';
    UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = Cost*2.2    WHERE EraType ='ERA_MODERN';
    UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = Cost*2.7    WHERE EraType ='ERA_ATOMIC';
    UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = Cost*3.2    WHERE EraType ='ERA_INFORMATION';

UPDATE Civics SET Cost = Cost*1.1    WHERE EraType ='ERA_ANCIENT'; -- just for reference
    UPDATE Civics SET Cost = Cost*1.2 WHERE EraType ='ERA_CLASSICAL';
    UPDATE Civics SET Cost = Cost*1.3    WHERE EraType ='ERA_MEDIEVAL';
    UPDATE Civics SET Cost = Cost*1.5    WHERE EraType ='ERA_RENAISSANCE';
    UPDATE Civics SET Cost = Cost*1.8    WHERE EraType ='ERA_INDUSTRIAL';
    UPDATE Civics SET Cost = Cost*2.2    WHERE EraType ='ERA_MODERN';
    UPDATE Civics SET Cost = Cost*2.7    WHERE EraType ='ERA_ATOMIC';
    UPDATE Civics SET Cost = Cost*3.2    WHERE EraType ='ERA_INFORMATION';

UPDATE Eras SET GreatPersonBaseCost = GreatPersonBaseCost*3;

UPDATE ModifierArguments SET Value = "-80" WHERE ModifierId = "MINOR_CIV_PRODUCTION_PENALTY" AND Name = "Amount";

UPDATE Units SET Cost = Cost * 4 WHERE UnitType = "UNIT_MISSIONARY" OR UnitType = "UNIT_APOSTLE" OR UnitType = "UNIT_INQUISITOR";

plus, Kavis, AlextheGr8 and 1 other person like this.
  14. AlextheGr8

AlextheGr8 Chieftain

I play only Marathon game speed. Does this mod affect my game for the better or is this intended for shorter games?

15. jadel

jadel Chieftain

Is there any way this mod could change the npc city names?
    I just tried and Egypt made some Inca sounding city then Baltimore.

Cairo was a city state.

Only other mod I have is qui

16. AlextheGr8

AlextheGr8 Chieftain

Vanilla game, I use the settings you gave and started getting boosts in tech for things I had not done yet.

17. Valessa

Valessa Communistress

You can get boosts from Goody Huts.

18. Ledaren

Ledaren Chieftain

Will this work on saved game? Or new game only?

19. Baleur

Baleur Chieftain

-- Gives Warriors a Base Maintenance cost
    UPDATE Units SET Maintenance = 1 WHERE UnitType = 'UNIT_WARRIOR';

Would this mess with City States? Do they continue building warriors like crazy (fields of 10-20 warriors) and bankrupt themselves?
    Or do they now stop building warriors when their economy cant support it? That would be a nice bonus, fixing their warrior spam.

20. Maaka

Maaka Chieftain

Would it be possible to do it the other way around? As in playing on Epic, and leaving the tech/civic speeds as is, but speeding up the production times? Could that be done just as "easy"?