1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Small Nitpicky Changes

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Louis XXIV, Mar 24, 2013.

1. poom3619

poom3619 Ping Pang Poom!

Nitpicky stuff. I want a constancy in Civ name. But preferably, Make two names of each civ that depends on era/culture and pool of few cool name that imply their choice of Industrial-era and their dominance.

Say. An AI start the game as Alexander of "the Greeks" until they finished Honor policy tree then he will called "Alexander the Great" (as it is) of "Greek Empire".

With adoption of Patronage tree. the AI can choose between "League of Greece" and few another name and old "Greek Empire".

Upon the establish of World Council (or "that" that start when a civ found everyone else) Relative power (score) will be compared between every alive civ. Say Alex AI is runaway. So he can have "Great" suffix. So he is called "Alexander the Glorious of the Great Greek Empire)

and in Atomic era. If Alex are top 3-5 (depended on map size) We, the player, could choose to simply call Greek. "the Empire" via some option.

I personally thinks with something like "Republic of Iroquois" "Most Serene Republic of India" or, if you add some region's/religious taste, It may be like "Isabella the Catholic of Holy Spanish Empire" or "Sultanate of Arabia" would make the game more immersive, and the last parts (Atomic era name) because... Well, Let me put it like this. I thinks if you call British "The Empire". German "The Reich" and Soviets "the Union" and replace their name in WW2 History book. You would have more enjoyable time reading it.

2. Option

Option Officer Dog

The idea of calling the Germans "Reich" and the Russians "Union", as both a Russian and someone who lives in Austria, leaves a very, VERY bad taste in my mouth.

3. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

Most games of Civilization don't follow anything like our historical timeline, so trying to nitpick the historicity of every era is best left to mods like Rhye's.

4. dashwinner

dashwinner Prince

I agree... Also, I'm preeetty sure that Montezuma's not speaking spanish

5. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

He's not. However, one or two words are imported from Spanish (such as Imperio, which means Empire).

6. poom3619

poom3619 Ping Pang Poom!

I simply want to make every civ start as "The ...-ian" and change to "Kingdom of ..." and "Republic of ...". I want to feels like every civ in the game is changing, modernizing. I thinks it might create greater impact than just leader's prefix/suffix.

...And of course it's sound nitpicky.

I guess it is, "Imperator de los Aztecas..." = Emperor of the Aztecs.

I doubt that "Shimikakan" is spanish word through. :lol:

Sorry about that. But Nazi Germany official name is "Greater German Reich". So IMO. If I calls them "the Greater Empire" also conflicts with "the Empire" I called British. But that's just exampling. So don't thinks about it too much.

7. Aussie_Lurker

Aussie_Lurker Deity

Hmm, it'd be good if they did it like Civ4 BtS then-where you needed to place the privateer close to one end of the trade route in order to pirate it, which makes defending the route so much easier IMHO. Just a thought.

Speaking of which, though I'm OK with having to build trade "units" in order to create trade routes, I certainly hope you don't have to move them to the city you're wanting to form the route with. That's just more micro-management than I think is necessary, IMHO.

Aussie.

8. SamBC

SamBC Emperor

The demo showed them just selecting the destination and the unit moving off.

9. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

I wish they would tweak the 'scared worker' feature so that workers only stop working when the barbarian/enemy unit will reach them in two turns, rather than because it's visible.

The number of times when a worker has stopped working despite the presence of a barb on the other side of a mountain range...

Either that or include an option to turn it off.

Also, it would be nice if non-barbarian enemies didn't instadelete/teleport workers the second they capture them. Kinda broken.

10. codepoet

codepoet Commander of Cubicle 42

Eh - we should be able to provide our own labels during the course of the game and every civ should have a civ of possible labels, where one will be selected and used for the game. So one game you might run into Russia and it's all Monarchy themed labels and then another it might be more "Union" themed, etc. Plus that works for situations where the society in question never labeled themselves per-say or never adopted a social policy that they select in a playthrough.

11. Halps

Halps Chieftain

I'd love the option to give Puppets one command:
    Avoid Growth!

12. Vandal Thorne

Vandal Thorne Warlord

My personal nitpick is with the worker and great people sprite changes. Currently they get their modern appearance in the Industrial era. I wish they would move this back to the Modern era. A Great General in a jeep always look so anachronistic during the era of Cavalry... :/

I wish they had a more ancient looking sprite for the Great Admiral, along with a tile improvement that he could be converted to. The heal all ships by expending him is rather pants... :(

Another nitpick. I think that the +1 science / 2 population is too much science for libraries to provide once you get into the late game. Something better would be if Libraries provide +1 Science and cause each improved Bonus Resource tile worked by this city provides +1 Science. It caps the science bonus from libraries. Makes end game techs as epic to research as the end game wonders are to build and gives more purpose to bonus resources beyond extra food. It would also be nice to actually be able to trade bonus resources...