Small "Stacking" Suggestion

Chris41336

Chieftain
Hey guys! I posted this on the Civ V official forums, and I'm bringing it over here too :D.

So like most people I have found that SOMETIMES (ONLY sometimes) 1UPT can lead to shall we say logistical issues when commanding your armies. Particularly I have found it to be a problem when fighting against an AI with an ally. Therefore, I propose a new system as a solution:

The Regiment System

-The Regiment will be a seperate unit formed from a unit which uses the promotion outlined below or through a Great General (also detailed below). A regiment will work similar to a City Garrison in that any unit that you place into it can "Fall In" to the regiment, adding strength to it. The baseline for the regiment's strength will be the unit which forms the regiment. Up to three units can be placed into the regiment and factor into the strength score. (Note: I don't think it should be a direct strength addition between the three as it would be overpowered, but some sort of formula could be worked out.)

-A Regiment will still have 10 HP. (Alternitavely, adding new units can increase HP but strength will always be the same.)

-It will take longer for a regiment to heal to acknowledge the amount of units present and to help balance.

-Any promotions that the units have will be added to the Regiment as well but the bonus will NOT stack if two or more of the units have the same promotions.

-Adding a ranged unit will not increase the strength of the regiment but will allow the regiment to bombard at the same range distance as the ranged unit placed into it. Only one ranged unit can be placed in a regiment, and it is separate from the 3 land-unit restriction.

-Air units cannot be part of a regiment.

-After a certain number of promotions (I'll let others decide what number is good), a promotion will appear called "Leader". This promotion will allow the unit to form a Regiment at their location and automatically become part of it. Until more units are added to the regiment, it will simply have the same stats as the original unit that formed it.

-Great Generals can add to their repertoire the ability to form a Regiment when in the same tile as another unit, and it will consume the GG and the unit. A regiment formed in this manner will be led by the GG and have associated bonuses with that fact. (Maybe an additional unit in the regiment? Attack bonus? Something like that.)

NOT RELATED TO THE REGIMENT SYSTEM: There should be a diplomacy agreement that could be signed ("Combined Arms Agreement") or something along those lines which allows ALLIED nations to stack their units (to a limit) on a tile to prevent allies from blocking each other. (It shouldn't be on by default because sometimes I like to intentionally "block" my allies )

Let me know what you guys think! I know its a big change but if balanced I think it could work well.

Not a horrible idea, but I have yet to have enough units to make this necessary... I also am elated at the fact that a world-class army can have only a handful of units.

Mod perhaps?

I like the idea, I post one thread which I suggested a similar alternative on how we could limit UPT by some logistic related penalties for stacking.

I guess it isn't a popular subject but honestly I think that would be one mechanic changes that would solve a lot of problems.

Civ III had this, they were called armies. The problem in Civ III was that armies had all the hit points of constituent units, so they were overpowered, even though there was a limit to how many you could have. I miss them, and I wouldn't mind seeing them again. They were great for attacking heavily fortified cities.

I would set it so that adding a ranged unit to the army would only allow it to bombard with the ranged strength of the added unit, and it counts as one of the three units.

Civ III had this, they were called armies. The problem in Civ III was that armies had all the hit points of constituent units, so they were overpowered, even though there was a limit to how many you could have. I miss them, and I wouldn't mind seeing them again. They were great for attacking heavily fortified cities.

I would set it so that adding a ranged unit to the army would only allow it to bombard with the ranged strength of the added unit, and it counts as one of the three units.

Yes, I played Civ III and I loved armies. This was one of my inspirations for this concept. However, I don't want these "regiments" to be quite so powerful, particularly now that there is 1UPT their power will be magnified anyway. I think that combining this feature with 1UPT will make the game (particularly later on with more highly promoted units) much more interesting, and contribute to a little less clutter.

And as per the ranged units, taht makes sense as well. All of this stuff can be worked out if people agree it's a decent concept.

I think it should be one unit per civilization per tile in enemy and unclaimed territory, and stacks should be allowed in friendly territory.

Think about it. Stacks (like the ones we are used to from CIV would be way to expensive to make and maintain in this game, so at most you might find one or two in a civs territory. And even then, they couldn't be used for attacking, just defending. This makes more sense to me as it is really annoying to be invaded and be surrounded because I can't move my units around in my territory.

Also, by allowing 1 unit per civ per tile outside your territory, if you have an ally you are attacking with, each of your units can move freely without blocking each other, but without really allowing a stack to attack in the classic sense.

Top Bottom