SMAN's The Ancient World at War (AWAW) - The Black Swan Companion Mod

SMAN,

Hope you are OK.

I'm free tomorrow and on thursday. I can test Black swan if you want to post it here..

Hello SMAN,

A little worried about you. I hope to have news soon.

Are you OK ? Take absolutely all the time you need.

OK, OK. I'm back. Finally back home. In much, much better shape than when I was discharged a few weeks ago. I think it'll stick this time.

I hope to be able to mod a couple of hours a day for the near future. Taking things slowly, doing everything right.

Spent a few minutes looking over the code of B.S. and man, it's a little too bulky. I still plan on working on this version to get it done, but it's not something I'm proud of. Needs a massive re-write, but I think instead I'll just finish V1 and leave it there.

Eventually I'll rewrite a smaller, leaner version later, but would rather work on scenarios instead.

Or just halt work on it and start on the SME, and use a small part of the B.S. code as a scaled-down version of events in the SME itself. Not quite sure how much I want to invest in B.S. if it's just getting reworked anyway. Will flip a coin tomorrow and get started.

Sorry about the delay getting back. Really sorry. Fingers crossed things will go better this time!

Hello SMAN,

Glad to hear from you and know you're doing better.:)

Glad to see that you still want to work on scenarios and B.S.

Thanks. I'm much better. I think I'll be home for a while now. Looking forward to getting back to work, seeing if my brain still works! :crazyeye:

First problem to solve: to finish a faulty B.S. mod, or shelve it and move on to scenarios....

OK, ok, I think I've kicked this thing. It involved changing doctors to find one who isn't a worry-fanatic. So I think I can come back for an hour or two per day to play on the computer again. Apologize for the delays but things just haven't been going my way much lately.

I actually got to play the WAW mod and found about 20 "fixes" for it, almost all of them minor/QOL. After that goes into hotfix, I plan on coming back to the scenario management engine (SME) mod. That will be the only thing I work on. I think I'll put black swan on ice again. It's just in such a mess I'd rather make sure I'm well enough to work on something less painful.

The good thing about the SME is that about 90% of it already exists - code coming from about 3 different mods. But those mods/scenarios are very-highly specific to their content (WW1, WW2, etc.). What I need is a completely "generic" engine that can be quickly/easily adapted to other content (Punic Wars, Caesar in Gaul, Romans in Britain, etc.).

First test will be with the "Hundred Years War" mod I did a few years ago. I want to use that, as it has a lot of customizations in units that will look really good when it plays.

Anyways, thank for your patience. I think I can stick around for a while this time.

I HOPE!

:blush::crazyeye::)

OK, ok, I think I've kicked this thing. It involved changing doctors to find one who isn't a worry-fanatic. So I think I can come back for an hour or two per day to play on the computer again. Apologize for the delays but things just haven't been going my way much lately.

I actually got to play the WAW mod and found about 20 "fixes" for it, almost all of them minor/QOL. After that goes into hotfix, I plan on coming back to the scenario management engine (SME) mod. That will be the only thing I work on. I think I'll put black swan on ice again. It's just in such a mess I'd rather make sure I'm well enough to work on something less painful.

The good thing about the SME is that about 90% of it already exists - code coming from about 3 different mods. But those mods/scenarios are very-highly specific to their content (WW1, WW2, etc.). What I need is a completely "generic" engine that can be quickly/easily adapted to other content (Punic Wars, Caesar in Gaul, Romans in Britain, etc.).

First test will be with the "Hundred Years War" mod I did a few years ago. I want to use that, as it has a lot of customizations in units that will look really good when it plays.

Anyways, thank for your patience. I think I can stick around for a while this time.

I HOPE!

:blush::crazyeye:
Hello Sman,

Happy to see you again.

I hope you are feeling better and that you will have time to work on scenario management engine. I'm waiting to have news about "Hundred Years War" and being able to test your civilizations.

:)

I think it'll be better this time. I'm feeling much better and have a Dr. I have much more confidence in. Am anxious to get started. I'm already working on the hotfix for WAW, and hope to have that done sometime in the next couple of days. And then I'll start the SME. I've pushed Black Swan off for now. It just needs a complete rethink, then a rewrite. The problem is adding new events. They way it was originally designed, this wasn't a problem. But as new events were added, the code just got bulkier and layers of repetitive code made it unwieldy. It needs a different design that allows for simplified adding of events that reuse code in a much smarter, more efficient way. But with limited time/energy at the moment, I'd rather spend those hours on a much more impactful, interesting mod.

Anyways appreciate the patience. I'm hoping to start documenting progress on SME in the next day or so. I'll keep you up to date as it begins.

Since I'm not working B.S. mod, I'll continue future discussions in the WAW forum for the next couple of days.

Since I'm not working B.S. mod, I'll continue future discussions in the WAW forum for the next couple of days.

Hello Sman,

I just read your message on your discord. Glad to see that you started working on SME and that you made good progress yesterday.

Top Bottom