Are you running with Brave New World?
Argh *thump*, nope. How embarrassing. That explains it all, I thought it was enabled but it was not.

I've enabled it and the crash still occurs, however I imagine the save file is filled with information/databases that the game loads, so I'll give it a go with a new game (after clearing my cache first of course :) )

Last edited:
Greetings, everyone. Have had some comments lately on the Steam forum for AWAW (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/comments/2422701461), but due to the irritating character limit there, I've decided to answer them here. Just too hard to express anything deep with such a limit. Here are some thoughts about recent comments:

General Comment: One of the key design criterion in AWAW is its use of an "adaptive difficulty" level - which generates periodic free bonuses to AI civs, especially if they're in the bottom half of the score table. The goal was to increase AI competitiveness against human players -especially since AWAW has so many inter-connecting features that there's no good way to make the AI understand how to exploit. Since this makes many AWAW features a potentially massive human player advantage, certain compensatory approaches are required, lest we make the game much more easy than it already is. The fact that I'm starting to get feedback about increase difficulty combating AI tends to make me believe I'm on the right track. However, it looks like there is still plenty of room for improvement...

1. Concerning AI Progress with Religion in AWAW (mikepalmer71): With the addition of so many buildings in the Ancient Era, I wanted to make sure that they didn't offer too many "meaningful" yields that somehow impact latter game balance. It's one of the reasons you see so many of these new things add Faith as a bonus. However, AWAW puts lots of limits on constructing buildings, which at times take a bit of planning the AI just cannot do. So, they tend to take a simple approach to deciding what to build, and in very early game, these choices center on Faith.

I'll admit I haven't tested too many Marathon speed games, but in the many, many Quick and Standard games I have played, I've noticed that if I don't really focus on Faith from the beginning (buildings and improvements), the AI will almost always beat me to founding religions. In these games, I'll put the Cairns everywhere I can even if it damages my civ's economic health, and once a religion is founded, I'll quickly build more useful improvements over the Cairns. The old argument about choices/priorities was "guns vs. butter" - but in early AWAW it's "faith vs. butter". This is exacerbated against human players, as AI civs start with a few extra free cities to get their economies rolling sooner.

All of this is as intended. I've doubled the cost of pantheons (of the first, and cost for subsequent), but I haven't adjusted the first/subsequent prophet costs yet. Also, I haven't adjusted the number of religions (in Worlds table, MaxActiveReligions) at all. If that number has changed, some other mod must have adjusted it. Hotifx #2 did buff the periodic AI free yields bonus function. I'll look at the new numbers and see if they need nerfing - or restrict Faith bonuses in the very early game (perhaps limiting it until all religions have already been founded).

If you think about it, you could start a Marathon game, with the focus on Faith until the first prophet spawns. See if it's at all possible, then let me know. I can always look at adding a free prophet spawn chance for human players once the next-to-last religion is founded, with the chances adjusted based on game difficulty (e.g. Prince = 50%, Deity = 25%, or something like that). Wouldn't guarantee a spawn, but at least provides a chance. Still, give the Faith-focus a chance first and let me know.

For Vondraco's/james.triggs comments on religion - it's a fair report. I designed AWAW so it would force players out of their comfort zone, and adjust play styles due to strange things happening all over the map. The "events" feature (The Black Swan) was supposed to play a large part in this as well, adding many catastrophes/opportunities that players would have to completely rewrite the game plans. It also means the gaming experience would be different - sometimes slightly, sometimes dramatically - requiring human players to stay on their toes. I split the Black Swan out as I noticed that as it evolved, it really could alter game dynamics in a way that might irritate as many players as it pleased. If it's now a companion mod, players interested in such unpredictable behavior from the game engine can have it, players uninterested never need experience it at all.

But back to religion - it might be over-tuned at the moment. I'll look at nerfing the "free faith" bonuses the AI gets in early game, and limit it until after all religions are founded. I may also look at spawning a free Great Prophet to human players one the next-to-last religion is founded (randomly, based on game difficulty). Hopefully, these 2 changes can bring early religion back into balance.

2. AI aggression (Vondraco): The AI adjustments in AWAW are the same as in WAW, so the level of aggressiveness should be similar in both mods. Perhaps test the game without that other mod that ups AI aggression? Or let me know what it is so I can look at it. It's possible that its changes overwrite the changes in this mod, but most likely AWAW overwrites its changes - do to the "mod load order" issue (where mods that are most-recently downloaded/updated perform their database changes last). Would need to compare the mods to know for sure.

But, this mod is intended to have an aggressive, unreasonable AI to compete against (hence, the last "W" in the title). The large number of units you're seeing (I believe but don't know for sure) is simply related to the fact that the AI gets a few free Settlers at game start, so will usually have 4-5 cities by the time you get your second. The just have more ability to generate combat power, unless you go heavy on "guns" in the "guns vs. butter" debate when managing your civ.

3. AI Social Policy Success (Vondraco): I suspect the AI is getting too much of the "free culture" if they're cleaning out the social policies in pace with each Era. I'll look at these numbers again, but I suspect the key problem is that the AI "free stuff" bonuses should not simply happen every 5 turns. Frequency should be tied to game speed, with perhaps AI civs getting the bonuses something like every 5 turns on Quick, 10 on Standard, 20 on Epic, and 30 on Marathon. Perhaps that will still help the AI, but not too ridiculously on slower game speeds. This will definitely slow down the benefits, but I'm a bit concerned it goes too far. This will take a lot of testing over time to get right.

Appreciate the feedback. I've added several things to Hotfix #3 to hopefully smooth out some of the rough points you've reported. Thanks!

Hi Sman, Thanks in advance for creating such great mod! It is indeed amazing. I am just curious if the mod works with Gaia's Complete Diplomacy? It seems that with your AWAW and WAW, Most of the Gaia's complete diplomacy mod works fine, but nobody can create vassals for some reason. It just says, "You must be at least in the Medieval era to create vassals." even if I am far past that era. Any idea why that is the only feature of the mod that doesn't work?

Hello again, thank you for all the great mods you’ve created. They add a whole new level to Civ 5 and have really kept the game alive for me. In particular, I really appreciate the way they make the game more challenging, in a good way. In that spirit, I have an idea I think you might be interested in - a rise and fall + breakaway civilizations mod. Historically, the longest-lasting empire I know of was Venice, a city-state, which lasted a thousand years. The larger ones lasted a maximum of 250. Now, I get, of course, that players in the context of the game are immortal demigods and that this adds an element of stability lacking in actual history. Nevertheless, I think the general dynamic that empires face periodic waves of instability making them vulnerable to breakup and/or invasion should be in the game. Aside from being more realistic, it would do two things to enhance gameplay. First, it would give an advantage to smaller civs and thus make the Tall approach more viable. Second, in combination with the CPPS mod and the improvements you’ve made to the AI, it would eliminate the snowball problem of the game being effectively over well before the end due to one empire having become so large as to be unstoppable.

Greetings, everyone. Have had some comments lately on the Steam forum for AWAW (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/comments/2422701461), but due to the irritating character limit there, I've decided to answer them here. Just too hard to express anything deep with such a limit. Here are some thoughts about recent comments:

General Comment: One of the key design criterion in AWAW is its use of an "adaptive difficulty" level - which generates periodic free bonuses to AI civs, especially if they're in the bottom half of the score table. The goal was to increase AI competitiveness against human players -especially since AWAW has so many inter-connecting features that there's no good way to make the AI understand how to exploit. Since this makes many AWAW features a potentially massive human player advantage, certain compensatory approaches are required, lest we make the game much more easy than it already is. The fact that I'm starting to get feedback about increase difficulty combating AI tends to make me believe I'm on the right track. However, it looks like there is still plenty of room for improvement...

1. Concerning AI Progress with Religion in AWAW (mikepalmer71): With the addition of so many buildings in the Ancient Era, I wanted to make sure that they didn't offer too many "meaningful" yields that somehow impact latter game balance. It's one of the reasons you see so many of these new things add Faith as a bonus. However, AWAW puts lots of limits on constructing buildings, which at times take a bit of planning the AI just cannot do. So, they tend to take a simple approach to deciding what to build, and in very early game, these choices center on Faith.

I'll admit I haven't tested too many Marathon speed games, but in the many, many Quick and Standard games I have played, I've noticed that if I don't really focus on Faith from the beginning (buildings and improvements), the AI will almost always beat me to founding religions. In these games, I'll put the Cairns everywhere I can even if it damages my civ's economic health, and once a religion is founded, I'll quickly build more useful improvements over the Cairns. The old argument about choices/priorities was "guns vs. butter" - but in early AWAW it's "faith vs. butter". This is exacerbated against human players, as AI civs start with a few extra free cities to get their economies rolling sooner.

All of this is as intended. I've doubled the cost of pantheons (of the first, and cost for subsequent), but I haven't adjusted the first/subsequent prophet costs yet. Also, I haven't adjusted the number of religions (in Worlds table, MaxActiveReligions) at all. If that number has changed, some other mod must have adjusted it. Hotifx #2 did buff the periodic AI free yields bonus function. I'll look at the new numbers and see if they need nerfing - or restrict Faith bonuses in the very early game (perhaps limiting it until all religions have already been founded).

If you think about it, you could start a Marathon game, with the focus on Faith until the first prophet spawns. See if it's at all possible, then let me know. I can always look at adding a free prophet spawn chance for human players once the next-to-last religion is founded, with the chances adjusted based on game difficulty (e.g. Prince = 50%, Deity = 25%, or something like that). Wouldn't guarantee a spawn, but at least provides a chance. Still, give the Faith-focus a chance first and let me know.

For Vondraco's/james.triggs comments on religion - it's a fair report. I designed AWAW so it would force players out of their comfort zone, and adjust play styles due to strange things happening all over the map. The "events" feature (The Black Swan) was supposed to play a large part in this as well, adding many catastrophes/opportunities that players would have to completely rewrite the game plans. It also means the gaming experience would be different - sometimes slightly, sometimes dramatically - requiring human players to stay on their toes. I split the Black Swan out as I noticed that as it evolved, it really could alter game dynamics in a way that might irritate as many players as it pleased. If it's now a companion mod, players interested in such unpredictable behavior from the game engine can have it, players uninterested never need experience it at all.

But back to religion - it might be over-tuned at the moment. I'll look at nerfing the "free faith" bonuses the AI gets in early game, and limit it until after all religions are founded. I may also look at spawning a free Great Prophet to human players one the next-to-last religion is founded (randomly, based on game difficulty). Hopefully, these 2 changes can bring early religion back into balance.

2. AI aggression (Vondraco): The AI adjustments in AWAW are the same as in WAW, so the level of aggressiveness should be similar in both mods. Perhaps test the game without that other mod that ups AI aggression? Or let me know what it is so I can look at it. It's possible that its changes overwrite the changes in this mod, but most likely AWAW overwrites its changes - do to the "mod load order" issue (where mods that are most-recently downloaded/updated perform their database changes last). Would need to compare the mods to know for sure.

But, this mod is intended to have an aggressive, unreasonable AI to compete against (hence, the last "W" in the title). The large number of units you're seeing (I believe but don't know for sure) is simply related to the fact that the AI gets a few free Settlers at game start, so will usually have 4-5 cities by the time you get your second. The just have more ability to generate combat power, unless you go heavy on "guns" in the "guns vs. butter" debate when managing your civ.

3. AI Social Policy Success (Vondraco): I suspect the AI is getting too much of the "free culture" if they're cleaning out the social policies in pace with each Era. I'll look at these numbers again, but I suspect the key problem is that the AI "free stuff" bonuses should not simply happen every 5 turns. Frequency should be tied to game speed, with perhaps AI civs getting the bonuses something like every 5 turns on Quick, 10 on Standard, 20 on Epic, and 30 on Marathon. Perhaps that will still help the AI, but not too ridiculously on slower game speeds. This will definitely slow down the benefits, but I'm a bit concerned it goes too far. This will take a lot of testing over time to get right.

Appreciate the feedback. I've added several things to Hotfix #3 to hopefully smooth out some of the rough points you've reported. Thanks!

This mod would be super cool if it was compatible with Vox Populi, and it would surely solve the problem you mentioned about the difficulty of the AI since VP is ultra competitive in that regard. If it is, let me know. Thanks in advance

Just so you know, "WaW: modern terrain improvements" is not compatible with this mod.
When using ancient and future WaW mods, it breaks the eras' partition.

@

Hey Sman , Sorry for the late reply to your comment on steam from February. I have played this mod along with the World at war mod extensively.

everything is pretty awesome , the only thing that is a slight problem is the amount of resources you gain once you have built a specific building that you need for a particular unit. I would just like a little more of a return l for the gunpowder resource. It's sort of timely trying to obtain that resource in a marathon game. I will try a epic game and see how that works.

lastly, as others have pointed out I think, the unique units mod for WAW does not work with the AWAW mod without a crash eventually.

I Still stand by my prior comments on steam, your mods has remade Civilization V for the better. I have been playing since 2016, and I don't plan on stopping.

Hello everyone - just wanted to let anyone following this thread know I'm returning to work on it and hopefully fix so many of the bugs in it. A little background:

Anyways I wanted to apologize for the delay in returning and appreciate your patience!

sman1975

Work continues on AWAW. I found the error that awarded free tech research and a few other minor bugs. No ETA on release but I'll probably release a hotfix first - after all the bugs reported have been knocked out.

After that I'll work on V2.0, which will see a significant amount of changes, mostly removing things from the mod (e.g. resources, buildings, wonders, units, etc.). Not completely, but just trimmed down and with a little more "cohesion" between the items that remain. Trying to tighten up the logic a bit.

Appreciate any/all comments you have on these areas.

Thanks!

AWAW V2.0 will be a large cut in content, trying to reduce its size from 40MB down to about 20MB (which is the same size as WAW). Will eliminate much of the content to accomplish this - so there'll be fewer resources, buildings, improvements, and possible units.

Initial efforts will be on Resources. Once those are gone, it's easier to decide which buildings are no longer needed, as many of them were created to process and consume those new resources. The first attachment is the initial list of remaining new resources.

Slide4.JPG

A few buildings are needed to produce resources not found on the map - i.e. they must process existing things to create the resource for use in game. Here are those buildings:

Slide2.JPG

Since fewer resources are available, fewer buildings are needed. And most of the new buildings AWAW will add focus on the game's 6 Yields (Culture, Faith, Gold, Growth, Production, and Science). Note: in an effort to help players build "specialist cities" many of these buildings will rely on prereq buildings, nearby resources, improvements, etc.

Slide1.JPG

And finally, there are a few miscellaneous builds supporting various aspects of the game.
Slide3.JPG

All together about 86 different buildings will be provided by AWAW - down from 127 in V1.0

Still a work in progress so let me know if there are any suggestions. Thanks

Am working on Hotfix #3 - am planning on releasing it before converting to the slimmer V2.0. Here is a list of the changes for HF3 (so far):
  • Fixed bug where human players were sometimes given free unwarranted research progress
  • Dromon/Cog now require dock (vice Harbor)
  • Fixed a bug in the UnitFixes.sql file that caused most of the changes not to execute properly
  • Nerfed changes of Great Scientist appearing for AI civs in the bottom of the score table
  • Corrected an error in the function that determines if an AI civ is in the bottom half of the score table (which is used to award bonuses to help them catch up)
  • Removed the Goody Hut feature from Barbarian camps
  • When certain AWAW improvements become obsolete, they no longer leave artifacts in their place. Instead some of them become Ancient Ruins while others simply disappear
  • Adjusted AI bonuses so they don’t appear in the very early game, based on game speed. For game speed Quick bonuses start awarding on game turn 20, for Standard it’s GT 30, for Epic it’s GT 40, and for Marathon it’s GT 50
  • Adjusted AI bonuses so they award at half amounts during the early game, based on game speed. For game speed Quick bonuses are cut until game turn 40, for Standard it’s GT 60, for Epic it’s GT 80, and for Marathon it’s GT 100
  • Adjusted AI bonuses to limit awards for Civs performing above average for Gold, Culture, Fait, and Science
  • AI will only try to upgrade units every 10 turns vice 5 previously
  • Fixed bug where certain Renaissance ships couldn’t escape coastal tiles after Astronomy was discovered. Effected ships: Man of War, Carrack, Corsair, Galleon, Brigantine, and Great Frigate. Fireships are still bound to coastal waters
  • Added “Base Hurry” build actions to certain units so that when they are expended inside a city, that add hammers to whatever that city is producing (like Great Engineers do). Roughly speaking Great Engineers add a base of 300 hammers when expended. Now these units will do the same, but at a lower level: Worker (30 hammer), Settler (50), Praefectus Fabrum (40), Pioneer (50), Combat Engineer (60)
  • Changed the name of the “Dromon” (early Medieval ranged naval ship) to “Great Dromon” to differentiate it from Byzantine’s unique unit, also called “Dromon”
  • The Byzantine Dromon ship now upgrades to the Great Dromon

Last edited:
AWAW 2.0 Building Design Adjustments - these are the 82 that remain. Original AWAW had 127, so there's about a 40% reduction here:

Ancient Era:
Ancient Buildings 01 - Ancient Era.jpg

Classical Era:
Ancient Buildings 02 - Classical Era.jpg

Medieval Era:
Ancient Buildings 03 - Medieval Era.jpg

Renaissance Era:
Ancient Buildings 04 - Renaissance Era.jpg

Enlightenment Era:
Ancient Buildings 05 - Enlightenment Era.jpg

Here are the remaining Wonders. Wonders deleted from AWAW 2.0 will go into the optional "Expansion Pack" if I ever decide to publish that. Now have 18 (vice 31 in V1). This pic is a work in progress:

Wonders.jpg

Here are the final resources:
FInal Resources.jpg

Here are the final improvements:
Improvements.jpg

Last edited:
Hotfix #3 has been published. If fixes a few of the things that were really broken with the mod.

A summary of those changes can been found here:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/changelog/2422701461

Please note: this is probably the last fix I'll make to this version of AWAW!

The next version will be the "skinny" one that removes about half the content of this mod. The removed content will probably go into an "enhanced version" mod you can use if you really like the extra stuff.

Thanks for your patience!

Here are the planned unit changes for AWAW 2:

Attachments

• Units - 01 - Ancient.jpg
    Units - 01 - Ancient.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 21
  • Units - 02 - Classical.jpg
    Units - 02 - Classical.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 23
  • Units - 03 - Medieval.jpg
    Units - 03 - Medieval.jpg
    290.1 KB · Views: 27
  • Units - 04 - Renaissance.jpg
    Units - 04 - Renaissance.jpg
    331.4 KB · Views: 20
  • Units - 05 - Enlightenment.jpg
    Units - 05 - Enlightenment.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 24
AWAW 2.0 (V1) testing notes, observations, etc. - After testing for the past several days, here is the list of things that I'll be looking at to wrap up the new version of AWAW (the slimmed-down version):
  • Have Stoneworks and Stonemasons require a local source of stone?
  • Add a bunch of replacement buildings – perhaps to almost all AWAW buildings?
  • May want to darken the Rice model so it’s not flaming bright green
  • May want to look at Civ5 UUs to see if they need upgrade changes
  • Check unit help strings to make sure they’re right, consistent
  • Add civ flags to UUs for normal civs – like WAW does
  • Rename “Capped Ram”?
  • CS overbuilding units – when at peace – check if any major civ has really bad relationship and how far away they are before deleting excess units
  • Why is mounted archer here????
  • Why is Slinger available after archery?
  • Is Levy flag right?
  • Hexareme too big – resize all naval models
  • Why can’t Latifundium replace plantation?
  • Should plant/latifunds upgrade to Haciendas? Shouldn’t be seen in latter Eras. Other improvements too?
  • It’s too easy to build Coastal Villages – should be rarer
  • Why are there 2 Cog ships per unit?
  • Make Castrum model smaller, “grayer”
  • Update Tech text strings to remove units/resources/buildings that are gone
  • Nerf Coastal Village closer to Farm
  • CIv-specific Field Marshals (i.e. give FMs a name)?
  • Why is Linen a luxury on Diplo screens? Should be bonus instead
  • PuppetCityManagement doesn’t seem to work
  • W/o harbor once carracks available (Astronomy) city can’t build any ships
  • Do AI bonuses need nerfing?
  • “Reveals gunpowder on the map”
  • Velites’ +1 range transfers with upgrade. Should it? A bit OP
  • Prob way too much hardwood
  • Add “Becomes obsolete at the discover of X tech” to appropriate buildings’ HELP
  • Lat vs plantation – game recommends plant (+1G) not Lat (2g/1p) why?
  • New Improvements too generous? Esp Lati?
  • AI building way too many missionaries, Fireships
  • Fireships should not be able to take a hit; or take cities
  • Make Hamlet buildings a little larger? Check scale vs. Civ5 improvements
  • Build limit on fireboats
  • Explorer – should flag bearer be last surviving model?
  • Privateer upgrades to Sloop of War, no increase in stats?
  • Got to make sure at least one non-resource requiring melee unit is available at all times until Industrialization
  • Lots of lead and tin at industrialization
  • Check Castrum pillaged model to make sure it’s set up right
  • Should Landskneckt upgrade to Lancer?
  • Fireships are surviving into Postmodern Era – should be burning out by then, and/or removed at some point (for either/both human/ai?)
  • Cannon obsoletes at Dynamite – should be Market Economy. Check all legacy units start/stop tech.
  • When an Improvement obsoletes, should put up a notification of some kind
  • When an improvement obsoletes, it doesn’t “repaint” the resource on the map. Icon is still there but model is not.
  • “Hurry Production” doesn’t seem to work
  • Later Era destroyers can capture ships – should that be stopped?
  • Gunpowder should obsolete? Check all resources
  • Does Lapis show properly on map – both before and after improvement?
  • Coastal village can’t be built on snow/hill with mine on it.
  • Can/should Workers be able to destroy improvements? Just a thought…

A quick update of the "planned" scenarios for AWAW. I'm sketching out the plans for the "Scenario Management Engine - Simplified" with should allow for a quicker, better quality development of these scenarios.

If anyone has any suggestions on other battles/wars/campaigns that occurred before the Industrial Era, please let me know. Thanks!

A quick update of the "planned" scenarios for AWAW. I'm sketching out the plans for the "Scenario Management Engine - Simplified" with should allow for a quicker, better quality development of these scenarios.

If anyone has any suggestions on other battles/wars/campaigns that occurred before the Industrial Era, please let me know. Thanks!

Hello S-MAN, thank you for your answer on steam about my question on the customs civs on AWAW. I take a look at your AWAW scenarios and it's very impressive. If you want, i can help you and find battles,wars,campaigns and custom leaders about the planned scenarios (punic wars; Caesar in Gaul..) and I have suggestions like :

The Hundred Years' War,​

Trojan War

The Fall of Constantinople​

Top Bottom