Snakes and foxes with a possible alternate GM

Tolis

Warlord
Hey guys, its been a long time, if anyone here still remembers me. Ive been toying with the idea of writing a new snakes and foxes games. I know ive already screwed up 2 times for those with long memories due to irl issues, so if i were to write one, id have someone else gm it with my rule set. I was just wondering if there was any interest at this time, as either a gm or player before i embark on the epic journey of writing one out. It would be 40 player +gm +assistant (maybe). Just let me know in this thread so i can see if its worth the effort. IMO SNF were the games i remember most from my times here, and this summer i have a bit more free time, so i would love to share the exp with everyone if there is interest.

Sounds good. I've always heard about how awesome S+F games are, but I've never played one.

could you tell what SnF are?
I have no idea, and I suppose there are others who know as much as I do.
What is a diffrence between 'normal' NotW and SnF?

could you tell what SnF are?
I have no idea, and I suppose there are others who know as much as I do.
What is a diffrence between 'normal' NotW and SnF?
Some helpful links:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=7193018&postcount=1

Combat Games

These are also known as 'Snakes and Foxes-style games' after the first game of this type, which has unfortunately been deleted. Like NotW, the Combat Games are basically an extension of the general concept of mafia games - there are some bad guys hidden amongst some innocents, and it's the bad guys' job to stay hidden while the innocents try to root them out.

What makes these so different, and at the same time so complex and engaging, is the introduction of half-daily player-vs.-player combat. Instead of voting for one player to be executed, you vote for two to fight. A set of stats unique to each player will determine the victor... the loser is removed from the game, his innocence, or lack of it, made public. Add in numerous secondary mechanics, such as team strategy, currency and purchasable items, betting on the outcome of fights, and other shady groups working on their own agenda, and you'll realise what makes these games some of the most popular on the forum.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=319765

Sounds interesting.

I'm in

I'd join, but it seems like every time I join a Snakes and Foxes game, it dies at some point. Eh, what the heck, I'd join anyway.

Long time no see, Tolis. Good to see you back, and we really need some of these games, because we've gone way too long without one.

Well in 1 day there is quite alot of response, so i will start writing it up in an excel document, i will be using this thread to keep you all updated. Now i need someone to step foward and offer to take over the GMing as well.

I will be pushing alot of the bounderies in this game, and it should run familiarly to those whove played before, but still hopefully be new and exciting.

I haven't played before, but hosting one sounds really fun. I'd be up for it.

I'm definitely in.

Ok this is a brief rundown of the characters and combat, i haven't named them yet or decided everything about them, but this is what i have.

Each character will have about 4 main attacks they use, 4 resistances to foes attacks, and 4 weaknesses at the start of the game. The attacks are as follows

Physical Disciplines:

Weaponry - Represents martial training, as in swords,pikes, knives, spears, all the way into the more exotic such as kamas and chains.
Unarmed - Represents experience using fists, feet, elbows, knees, and possible natural weaponry such as claws, tails etc.
Fortitude - Represents unusual physical constitution and the ability to absorb more damage than most, or possibly naturally tough skin or scales
Defensive - Represents skill in the use of defensive armaments, such as armor, shields, sword breakers etc.
Ranged - Represents skill in weapons that strike from a distance, including crossbows, bows, throwing stars, or possibly natural weapons that strike from a range.
Might - Indicates great strength.

Magical
Divine - Represents the ability to channel energy from the gods or other "holy" sources.
Summoning - Represents the ability to summon and control other entities from various other sources, such as planes of existence or other areas of the world.
Elemental - Represents skill in elemental magics, fireballs etc
Psionics - Represents the power of raw will channeling into the world, bringing various effects.
Nether - Represents the ability to channel the powers from the nether, down below and various other darker sources.
Illusion - The ability to channel magic to create illusions.

Deceptive
Speed - Represents unusual agility
Feint - Represents the ability to confuse foes in battle via trickery in a mundane way
Stealth - Represents the ability to be unseen through mundane or magical means
Dodge - Represents an unusual ability to dodge blows
Ally - Represents the aid of a familiar or other companion in battle
Counter - Represents an aptitude for using a foe's mistakes against them.

This of course is by no means elusive. Someone without a +weaponry ability could still use swords, just as someone without +dodge can dodge blows, it just means that these is a much higher aptitude through training, experience, natural aptitude, or enchantment, and these "stats" are the definition of their fighting style. These stats of your character will start as hidden, but will be somewhat visible during combat write ups (as in the "The archmage cast bolts of fire from his hands with unerring accuracy" = the archmage has +elemental as an attack type) but there will also be some misdirection as well. Not all combats will reveal everything about a character, but the more you fight, the more obvious it will become of your character's stats. There will also be a purchasable scanner item, which will have various levels, and will be able to tell at first partial information about a character, all the way to full stat disclosure, which will be usable at once per day, and the results will be given at the next cycle switch, (so a request during the day will be responded to at the beginning of the next night) I have also tried my best to name characters based to give some hints as to what they might have as an ability, or in some cases, made it intentionally confusing (The swordsman most likely will have +weaponry, but what if the archmage doesn't use +elemental?)
Stats will also be purchasable, either resistances to a specific attack type or attack types with gold, but you will never be able to purchase a resistance to an attack type you are innately weak against. These purchased attack types will be more visible then most in the write ups, but will somewhat seem in character so to speak. (The swordsman who purchases +elemental might have his sword swathed in flames, or have a ring that launches a cone of cold)

In combat each character's stats are matched up against each other in an unannounced method, and a winner is determined. The loser dies. In the case of the stats giving a tie, purchasable potions will be the tie breaker, and if it still results in a tie, whoever had the stage selection will be victorious (stage selection is given to the character with the least number of votes who is pitted into the arena).

And example of a statlist
+Weaponry +Might +Speed +Dodge (Attack Types)
XDefensive XAlly XSpeed XNether (Resistances to attack types)
-Elemental -Dodge -Illusion -Stealth (Weaknesses)

In addition, each character will have a unique special ability that may do many things, some examples of possible abilities that may or may not be in the game include.
Charismatic - This player's vote's count double.
Anti-magic - This character is more resistant to attacks from the magic school.
Banker - This player receives additional gold each day.
All abilities are designed to break the normal rules in unique way for each individual character.

Each ability will be totally unique, and there is NO WAY to be sure of what they are, beyond your starting character PM. Most abilities will also have several stages, which will improve based of winning more combats. So for example
Banker -
Starting : This player receives an extra 25% gold.
After 2 victories: This player receives an extra 50% gold.
After 4 Victories: This player receives an extra 75% gold.

More details as i hammer out more of the mechanics.

Looks nice.

Also, id need some advice on what would be good timing. We have in the past ran this game in parallel with both a big mafia game and a NOTW game, but it does get quite a bit stressful for people involved.
Granted, there is alot more communication and other factors to take into account in this game (as in not being able to outright kill someone unless you know someone who for sure is gonna kill them, which takes time in finding out their stats and a potential victor's stats, gold and item management) plus the days and nights traditionally run for 48 hours, so if the game isnt ended early, which they usually don't, it can last longer then a month. Im not sure if i should try to place it in a queue, and if i should which one i should put it into?

Top Bottom