[R&F] Sneak Peak 9/01

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gah, Alpha Centauri had its share of mostly terrible quotes, but that one always irritated me because not only was it not funny as apparently intended, I was never able to make any sense out of it. Llamas aside there are many more than five high-profile mythical creatures (you'd expect a hydra before a chimera, for a start, and possibly a sphinx). As an effort to parody the distortion of history over time it managed to fall foul both of my sense of humour and my sense of pedantry.

I feel like that's looking too deeply. It's not surprising for them to call out an alleged most significant set.

I feel like that's looking too deeply. It's not surprising for them to call out an alleged most significant set.

I don't know, I had a similar issue with most of AC's quotes because they made such a clearly pretentious effort to be clever or profound and invariably failed to be either.

Venice? Byzantium?

It can't be William the Conqueror, as wouldn't that mean two leaders for England?

Here is a Georgian Medieval Soldier, look at the shield...
Nice try but you are posting this on page 22!!! It was found out on page 2 with loads of evidence and within 10 minutes after release of the video it is 100%% Tamar of Georgia.

Nice try but you are posting this on page 22!!! It was found out on page 2 with loads of evidence and within 10 minutes after release of the video it is 100%% Tamar of Georgia.
Well at least we know for sure now.

I'm excited. Georgia's fascinating, and I can't wait to see how they'll play. I'm also excited to see troll (and some real) youtube comments regarding Georgia as a state outmatch all the crybabies whining about a (possible) female leader or "insignificant" civ. I mean, I don't see how someone can even enjoy this game if they can't get excited about a civ like Georgia. Stuff like this is exactly why I'm interested in history.

It's probably been covered, but if it is Tamar as the leader it'll be interesting to see how they handle the whole king thing with her and Jadwiga. I remember someone stating Jadwiga's inclusion might eliminate the possibility of Tamar, and it is a little similar. But Tamar is a great candidate regardless.
There's a difference. Jadwiga was called "king" in a language that had a separate word for "queen-regnant" to assert that anyone she married would not inherit her throne. Georgian has no grammatical gender and one word for the person sitting on the throne; I think it's equally honest to translate that word as "queen" when applied to Tamar.

Gah, Alpha Centauri had its share of mostly terrible quotes, but that one always irritated me because not only was it not funny as apparently intended, I was never able to make any sense out of it. Llamas aside there are many more than five high-profile mythical creatures (you'd expect a hydra before a chimera, for a start, and possibly a sphinx). As an effort to parody the distortion of history over time it managed to fall foul both of my sense of humour and my sense of pedantry.

Isn't that CivBE, not Alpha Centauri?

Alpha Centauri quotes were really marvelous as the whole game. Would be cool to have its actual remake with Civ6 features, not a vague reference like CivBE. But I know, there are some copyright issues...

There's a difference. Jadwiga was called "king" in a language that had a separate word for "queen-regnant" to assert that anyone she married would not inherit her throne. Georgian has no grammatical gender and one word for the person sitting on the throne; I think it's equally honest to translate that word as "queen" when applied to Tamar.

That is my understanding well. King is a gender neutral term in Georgian. It does not necessarily conotate actual gender equality, however.

That is my understanding well. King is a gender neutral term in Georgian. It does not necessarily conotate actual gender equality, however.
Yeah, whenever anyone wants to suggest grammatical gender is related to sexism, I like to point out that Turkish and Mandarin have no grammatical gender, while Iroquoian languages (which are relatively egalitarian, emphasis on relatively) do.

Yeah, whenever anyone wants to suggest grammatical gender is related to sexism, I like to point out that Turkish and Mandarin have no grammatical gender, while Iroquoian languages (which are relatively egalitarian, emphasis on relatively) do.

I wonder what having 3 grammatical genders (as in Russian) would mean in this theory?

I wonder what having 3 grammatical genders (as in Russian) would mean in this theory?
The three-gender system goes back to Proto-Indo-European. German and Russian both still have a neuter gender, and some Italian languages have vestigial neuter gender. Indo-European studies would suggest that gender systems tend to simplify or disappear over time, but then they've been quite stable in Semitic and arose relatively recently in Northern Iroquoian. What really throws a hitch in the theory of grammatical gender and sexism, though, is languages like Swahili, which has seven genders, none of which are masculine or feminine, or languages like Nahuatl or Cree which distinguish animacy rather than gender (but is still technically grammatical gender, and is about as arbitrary).

The three-gender system goes back to Proto-Indo-European. German and Russian both still have a neuter gender, and some Italian languages have vestigial neuter gender. Indo-European studies would suggest that gender systems tend to simplify or disappear over time, but then they've been quite stable in Semitic and arose relatively recently in Northern Iroquoian. What really throws a hitch in the theory of grammatical gender and sexism, though, is languages like Swahili, which has seven genders, none of which are masculine or feminine, or languages like Nahuatl or Cree which distinguish animacy rather than gender (but is still technically grammatical gender, and is about as arbitrary).

Yep. Modern languages tend to lose Proto-Indo-European grammatic. Russian language lost Vocative case pretty recently (unlike other Slavic languages), many other Indo-European languages lost cases totally. Also, most of the languages lost dual grammatical number.

Imagine what a fun language it was originally...

I hope it's something more creative than extra dedications. I would like something like Eagle Pursuit mentioned earlier in the thread about yields switching. Maybe GWAM points increased in golden ages, but defense for units decreased. Faith and culture increased in dark ages, or something to that effect? Something that gives you new gameplay reasons to intentionally switch age types based on strategy would be really nice.

Yep. Modern languages tend to lose Proto-Indo-European grammatic. Russian language lost Vocative case pretty recently (unlike other Slavic languages), many other Indo-European languages lost cases totally. Also, most of the languages lost dual grammatical number.

If Proto-Indo-European sounded like its reconstruction, it was quite a mouthful, with such roots as *dʰgʰm̥on. Georgian has it beat, though: gvbrdghvni. :p

Not sure if lack of vocative case is easier for me to learn for my Russian language course, though case system I found is not that difficult. The only difficulty is knowing what is considered as part of which case system.
But it should be easier than the Tsez language, a Caucasian language, which i heard has about 64 case systems.

Isn't that CivBE, not Alpha Centauri?

Alpha Centauri quotes were really marvelous as the whole game. Would be cool to have its actual remake with Civ6 features, not a vague reference like CivBE. But I know, there are some copyright issues...

The quotes were what started me to love SMAC in the first place

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom