1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Sneaky tactics during Peace

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by KingSponge, Nov 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oogie

oogie Chieftain

Hey Tetley,

That planting/selling city next to barbarian camp idea is really cool.

I'm going to try that one ... love it!

Keep the great ideas coming!

Cheers!

- Oogie :crazyeyes

2. WUM

WUM the Magnificent

about selling cities,
    i really liked the idea of selling a new city that you build close to you capitol just for selling.
    every time the sold city will revert back to your culture, so you can sell it again! (for a lot of things)

3. Hobbes

Hobbes Utilitarian Despot

I used this tactic, a few games ago, to get large amount of territory from my Indian neighbors. Gandhi was at war with the Persians, who were located on the other side of my territory. After numerous incursions across my borders, I finally granted him a right of passage. Soon my lands looked like the circus was in town, with all of the war elephants marching across the one route thtough the mountains. Well after about 20 turns (while I beefed up my military and Gandhi and Xerses fought it out) I blocked the only return route with some strategically placed forts and cannons , and proceeded to pick off half of his empire with very little loss to my forces. :D

4. tetley

tetley Head tea leaf

Has anyone experimented with what happens if you blockade an "ally's" capital city using Right of Passage? Do they lose all their strategic resources? I can't imagine that actually working, but if it did...oh man....

I guess the next check is whether you can trade your Gracious friend the resource he now lacks.

5. jaguara

jaguara Chieftain

Units at peace do not blackade even without a right-of-passage...other than the fact that a unit cannot move through your units.

It does not cut off trade, nor does it keep them from working the square for the city...

Jaguara

6. Oys

Oys Chieftain

I think it's fun to sign a right-of-passage with an enemy I want to conquer. It's easier to move your forces where you want them to be when you can use his infrastructure.

Just sorround his capital with forces for road/railroad pillaging (to stop his luxuries and resources) and start conquering his cities.

Probable gonna give you some reputation hit though :p

Oys

7. Morpheus

Morpheus Chieftain

I liked this in my last game.

I didn´t have saltpeter, but an English city not far away did. I have high culture so I went in with a settler to the nearest free square (3 from the saltpeter and 4 from the city) and built a city. The saltpeter was still in his radius but right on his border with me. I rush built a temple and a library and my culture grew.......and the saltpeter was MINE (mad cackle) :beer:

This also has the advantage that:

1) I didn´t have to go to war for it
    2) I got a new city
    3) I might well cature the English city by culture as well!

Now I have infantry and he doesn´t

Morpheus [dance]

8. AUDoc

AUDoc Chieftain

When two civs that border you go to war with each other, start building settlers. When a city is taken its cultural boundry shrinks back to the original one square around, no matter what it was before. Build a new city in the now unclaimed-territory and start rush building cultural improvements. A well placed city during a medieval war between 2 other civs can convert 2 or three enemy cities fairly quickly, without going to war yourself.

9. Patchmaster

Patchmaster Chieftain

I made the mistake of putting some workers into automatic mode in my first game. As they started running out of really constructive things to do I noticed they would sit there changing mines into irrigation and irrigation into mines. Talk about busy work! Anyway, in relation to this thread it gave me an idea. If you have right of passage with another civ, you could flood his territory with workers and start replacing his mines with irrigation (on the appropriate terrain, of course). If you have enough workers involved you could put a serious hit on his shield production in just a couple turns. Not to mention what could happen with his population control. The idea just came to me so I haven't tried it in a game, but it sounds like it could be effective in the right circumstances.

10. Cybernut

Cybernut Chieftain

HA HA HA HA ... I think this thread has more potential for humour than any other. It just shows how much personality this game can develop the longer you play ... I like renaming my border cities with insulting titles. It's rather amusing to see my gracious ally the French offering to exchange maps, while in the background I can see my cites - "$%^* the French", "Kiss my Ass You French Whore" etc. you get the picture - childish but amusing ...

11. menelaus

menelaus Chieftain

What I like to do is make peace with all the other nations and wait for the wars to happen. I make sure to stay out of it and not get drawn into one side, keeping peace with everyone. Then, I'll pick which side I think will come out on top, or which one would be better for me if they came out on top. So, I sent out an expeditionary force of a few settlers and troops and build a city or two on their border away from the front of the two civs. Then I give the cities to their enemy civ for pennies. If that civ also borders me, I make a few towns right on the border and give those away too (while having settlers ready to go). As they charge into our "mutual" enemy, taking towns and razing others, I just build between the 1 square radii and on top the rubble. Easy expansion for peacetime, no war weariness, and I can still trade:)

To end the war, because you don't want that civ eliminated (or do you?):confused: , give them a technology or repeat this ad nauseum for them and another, unsuspecting civ.

-Tim W. Ault

12. darkskies109

darkskies109 Chieftain

The privateer unit is a great way to harass an opponent without declaring war. The unit is weak in the armor department and could never take on frigates or anything heavier, but privateer units can destroy enemy galleys, galleons, and possibly transports when used in masse, its pretty good for keeping an enemy from expanding onto a new land mass. I would still maintain a decent convential navy, but with enough of them, you can really irritate the daylights out of an enemy.

13. Chapz

Chapz Chieftain

14. Gruntboy

Gruntboy Gentleman Geordie

I was in an industrial war with Japan and needed luxuries to boost my population's flagging morale. I had to sign a RoP treaty with the Greeks to let my workers build their road inrastructure (capital was surrounded by mountains & jungle) so I could trade with them.

15. tetley

tetley Head tea leaf

Someone on the forums posted a really sneaky peace tactic: plant forests on your friends' squares. That'll starve their population. LOL.

16. Arrian

Arrian Warlord

In my latest (and best yet) game, I actually found privateers to be useful, in a manner of speaking. This was a Monarch level game as the Babylonians, and it was one of those rare games where EVERYTHING goes your way. A free settler from a hut early on, SIX leaders... you get the idea. I had some coastal cities that could build privateers in 2-3 turns. The other civs were all still using caravels and frigates, with the occasional galley running around. I was literally 2/3 of an AGE ahead. So I punched out some privateers and started marauding. I ended up sinking several caravels, and a bunch of frigates. Losses were rougly 1 to 1, I think, which is a trade I'll take. The amusing bits were the galley that roughed up two privateers, and the privateer that had 1hp left beating an attacking frigate.

Basically, this warded off extreme boredom while I industrialized my empire, while inflicting some harm on the AI. Then I build tanks and went for world domination.

-Arrian

17. darkskies109

darkskies109 Chieftain

Are the espionage actions any good? I shelled out big money to "Safely" saboutage an enemies attempt to build a warship in a city that I was preparing to invade as my opening shot. I lost my spy, and the ship was still under construction when my tanks rolled through. Does anyone else have any good luck?:scan:

18. mSage

mSage Chieftain

(Note: This is not a blockade in the sense that denies resources.)

Here is one for the amusing if not effective category. You can give Right of Passage diplomatically, but deny it practically. With a few units on choke points, you can use zone of control to prevent the AI from going where it wants. Or worse, selectively open and close the choke point, to play havoc with the path finding algorithms. Since you are at peace they don't even have to be military units, but I usually use military anyway. Or if you don't have a choke point, you can use as few as 4 units to herd the AI into going where you want.

Once I had a small peninsula off my main continent where the AI had put a city. The AI sent a dozen workers across my civ to boost the population. So I set a boxed them in with some ancient units, and held on until a war was declared and simpy captured all the workers.

19. Lt. 'Killer' M.

Lt. 'Killer' M. Deity

If your enemy is overseas and doesn`t have Marines: put a Catapult/Cannon or some such on every coastal square but one; when he approaches close the gap and open another one a few squares away- he won`t be able to land but will try continuously :lol::lol::lol: (you could use whatever kind of unit but bombard-capable units will get him to move his ships in, then withdraw them, heal them, move them in again etc and you can pick them off 1 by 1)

He also won`t have many units left for other purposes :flamedevi

btw: unprotected workers/setllers just make the AI mad with lust - use that to draw them into overextension.....

20. Psychlone

Psychlone Architect of Aggression

Nah, diabolical is using workers to plant forests all around a ROP partner's cities, and then leaving them there if you have enough...

So why is it that the computer always wants something for ROP even when it's in their best interests? I recently sat completely between Egypt and Persia, who were constantly at war, for thousands of years, on and off. In fact, a majority of the combat occurred on my soil. At it's narrowest point, my territory was at least 15 squares wide, it was taking them ages to cross!

I tried offering each of them ROP just to get them through my territory faster so they could fight more easily (there were so many foreign units moving/fighting in my territory it was interfering with my own actions, clogging my roads, making workers wait to improve squares). Neither of them was willing to take ROP unless I paid THEM! I was totally baffled. They were fighting in my territory, and they could have been doing it with movement rates for friendly territory. Huge advantage to them, but they wanted me to pay for it, to the tune of 2-300 gold. *boggle*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.