1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Sneaky tactics during Peace

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by KingSponge, Nov 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dutcheese

dutcheese Chieftain

hi,

some games i build an invasion force of about 4 stacks of 6 units and place them at my border then sign a RoP. The next turn I move 1 stack next to 4 different enemy cities and take the cities the following turn. Enemy normally signs peace after a couple of turns.

i normally have another stack in reserve to mop up enemy workers or to repell a possible counter strike.

dutcheese

2. Arrian

Arrian Chieftain

Hmm... well, that's all well and good so long as you don't care that your reputation will be the eqivalent of Civ II's "despicable" if you use a ROP for a sneak attack. It will be very hard to get per turn deals with the remaining AI's after an attack like that.

-Arrian

3. Marzipan

Marzipan Chieftain

The last few games I've played I've had AI opponents ripping each other apart but leaving me alone (until the end anyway). I'm trying to get in the habit of keeping an eye on their battles and having a couple of settlers ready and positioned near contested locations so I can swoop in and claim territory before anyone else can get in there when the cities get razed by the warring sides:D

4. Fierro1816

Fierro1816 The bearded man

Don´t be sneaky... fight face to face! :mad:

Be the nicest friend of his world until he is no longer necesary (cold wars are no good, it´s better a straight fight)...

Then, if he is useless, kill him... and drown his people in blood :skull:

5. skywalker

skywalker Waffle

Use the ROP so that you can put those obsolete galleys to good use: place them in front of coastal cities so that they can't ever transport units overseas. It' a great way to keep them from colonizing a newly discoved, resource-rich continent.

6. zero

zero Chieftain

Explorers make really good PILLAGE units.

Explorers are also excellent "first wave" units in an invasion. They can get deeper in the first turn than other units and pillage more effectively than other units.

They are cheap to produce, and if you bring large enough numbers of them, the AI will not attack them all.

7. Bamspeedy

Bamspeedy We'll dig up the road!

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by miradus
    In my latest game I tried being friendly to my neighbors and gave them rights of passage. The dang Zulus (way overfriendly) sent a horde of workers into my turf and put roads everywhere. Either they're being very helpful or they're planning for an invasion.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They might have been trying to create a trade route somewhere.

In my last game I had about 50 cities and 80 workers. One of my cities had their area of influence extend over a small sea (one tile wide) to land on the other side. My workers were getting pretty bored placing mines on squares that won't ever be used so about 60 of them went through German territory (un-roaded) to work that one open square:mad: .

I'm sure glad I kept the peace with Germany, otherwise they could have grabbed 60 free workers.

8. Bamspeedy

Bamspeedy We'll dig up the road!

While at peace there are a couple of ways to rake in huge amounts of money. This works on Pangea style maps mainly. After most of the continent is explored and you have expanded pretty well, then sell a ROP to all civs (demand as much gold/turn as possible). For example: Oh, my advisor tells me that at 5 gold/turn Egypt will accept it, fine, lets try 10/turn, how about 15/turn, etc.
    For awhile you'll make all the other civs go bankrupt because they want that ROP to get across your territory and settle somewhere (beat them there if it's a real good spot!). Then every 20th turn (when the deal can be cancelled), cancel it and then offer it again, but for more gold! Inflation!:lol:
    By renegotiating the deal, if some civ was running into a deficit because of your deal, they are mad at you. So in this case you'll have to lower the price, to keep them happy. You're raking in all this money, yet they consider it a very good deal!
    Another thing to do is build the Great Lighthouse (after all other ancient wonders, and if you have the time). Then send out 4 or 5 galleys to explore the oceans. Don't sell your World Map until just before the AI discovers the techs that would allow them to start exploring the ocean, or if you go to war and you need allies. The AI will go to war for a map of nothing but ocean!

9. Ming

Ming Guest

So one day, I had a horseman exploring through a rather large jungle and a barbarian horde came upon me. Being in the jungle, they weren't able to immediately attack and wipe me out.

I thought about turning tail and getting back to my land so as not to lose my horseman, but thought better of that silly plan. I headed straight for the nearest enemy civ. Sure enough, once the barbarians were in range, they headed for the nearest city. The poor civ sent out the defenses which were summarily overrun. About four of the fifteen or so barbarians made it through to sack the city. Too much fun.

10. SKILORD

SKILORD Insurgent

same thong happened to me i went to war over it and took it back

11. tstowe

tstowe Chieftain

Here is my story: Setting: I am playing as the Americans. The date is 1914 and I am playing against the Rome and England - who are on the same continent as I; and Germany, Iroguois, and the Persians - who are on a second continent. Up to this point I have successfully negotiated with all civs to have peaceful growth. Then Germany DEMANDs furs with nothing in return. I decline and he declares war with me. That turn I negotiate with Rome and England to embargo and to declare war against Germany. The next turn I do the same with Persia and the Iroquois. I sit happy while the Iroquois and Persia make light work of Germany. Eventually Germany asks for a peace treaty at a cost of 16 money points per turn and a couple of luxury items. This went on until 2002 or something. By this time my cultural score is peaking pretty high and I have continued to maintain acceptional relations with everyone, except now I have let all negotiations go with England. Also by this time I have negotiated a right of passage with everyone except Germany and England as well as a Mutual Protection Pact. After a quick save and finalizing the massing of troops in the cities that border with England - I have a collection of 4x Arty and 2x Infantry on a mountain top that fires one round at an English soldier. England declares war on me immediately and sends troops across the border. {The cool part} Everyone declared war with England and not me! I couldn't believe it. I also negotiated with everyone a trade embargo against England. Now the date is somewhere around 2045 or so and I am still at war with England with the help of everyone else - who sent ships with troops to other islands and destroyed/took over Englands cities. It has been a great game thus far. Basically I have defended against England while everyone elses is kicking the **** out of her and I still have a high reputation across the board. Great game.

Hope that you have enjoyed my ramblings!

12. cegman

cegman Scott Walker Supporter

You could wait until the right is over and get him to declare war on you and it shouldn't hurt your reputation

13. tek2b

tek2b Chieftain

When two civs are attacking each other far from their capitols I make sure my nearby cities have all the good improvements, temples . universities etc. last night the Aztecs declared war on the Egyptions. Move 20 jag warriers through my territory to attack a lone Egyption city. first warrier attacks before the rest of the stack is in place. My next turn the city jumps sides to me. Of course I immediately demand the Aztec troops leave.

Ahhhh I love the smell of napalm in the morning........

14. hHh

hHh Chieftain

how can you make a civ declare war on you? The usual way is to move troops into its teritory and leave them there. But does this affects the other civs' opinion of you? And how you make a weaker civ declare war on you?

15. Amask

Amask Oogala Boogala

I use right of passage to get all the rival settlers and workers on my land, guarded with some separated defenders, and then choke them all. If I don't want war I go onto rival's territory and change all his irrigations to mines. All his poor citizens starve to death. Mua-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha. I also stand on polluted squares so they can't clear it. Mua-ha-ha-ha-ha

16. Lt. 'Killer' M.

Lt. 'Killer' M. Chieftain

I used that, too, and found that Global Warming will give me an equal to greater than equal share / territory, even if I have zero pollution, so I backed away from that.....

Another very nice one is breaking someone elses trade. If he trades through one of your cities (make sure there`s no other connection) simply cut the roads...... He`ll be hated!

17. ruthanolis

ruthanolis Chieftain

One of the best ways to win peacefully is to deny ever giving ROP to anyone. During a military alliance you are allowed through the allies territory without a problem, so it doesn't really affect you that much.

The other option is to grant ROP to everyone, but fortify every border square with something cheap like a warrior. A couple of my games I was able to do this. Except I would use the strongest defending units I had.

Of course doing this then allows you to separate civs from each other completely, and pick on the ones who just happen to be inhabiting 'your' territory [which happens a lot in my games :D ].

Some of the best ways to make war are through trade routes. I never build colonies - I'd rather build a city either on, or right next to the resource. The more cities you have the bigger you appear and the easier to bully your enemies. Also, you can slow down their border advancing.

If you want to declare war without getting into trouble, find somewhere where they are going to continually send their troops and build a city there. Then tell them to get their units out of your territory every time they get in. One, they will often get mad, and two after a short time it becomes very easy to declare war on them without it affecting your stance among the other civs. ;)

18. Strider

Strider In Retrospect

I use the right-of-passage when another civ demands "tribute to their great society" It helps when you don't have enough miltary power and you can't afford to lose gold.(It also gives you free acces to their terrority.) Also I use it for another reason:

If you are preparing to go to war with someone while your getting your units into stacks close to their terrority offer them a right-of-passage agreement.(This might be hard because most of the time the AI doesn't like you very much, just offer them ALOT of gold or a useless science to get it.) The send your units through their terrority to the other side. Then once the right-of-passage clears up you can attack from to differant fronts!!!!

If anyone has any improvements to my idea just say so.

19. Lt. 'Killer' M.

Lt. 'Killer' M. Chieftain

Often you can even use this to disable the enmy offensive toops - just choose a civ that is at war with one on the other side of your territory - while you move your troops into position he`ll throw all he has to the other end of your territory. Now you`ll also have to fight two fronts - but you secured your second one with fortifications beforehand! ;) Now with a few good offensive troopers you can smash all his offensive arm in 1 turn while your main host has no counterattack to fear!

20. Strider

Strider In Retrospect

Exactly right Killer!! If you think about it long enough(say a couple of months) you will prob come up with a couple of thousand tactics with the right of passage

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.