1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Sneaky tactics during Peace

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by KingSponge, Nov 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveMcW

DaveMcW Chieftain

ROP value is based on the size of your territory. The smaller civ has to pay.

2. King_Lewis

King_Lewis Chieftain

When you attack a Civ that you have a ROP with, is that what they call ROP Raping?

3. Yzman

Yzman Chieftain

Yeah and also if you are just in their territory when you delcare war even if you don't have a ROP, they still consider it rape of the treaty. So don't do it.

4. dayfax

dayfax Chieftain

I did this once to the Persians, thinking myself very clever, but of course heard all about for several hundred years afterwards from every other civ on the continent. Essentially : "Lo! The Betrayer of the Persians! We will not trade with the likes of _you_!" Or somesuch nonsense.

Just keep in mind that if you do this, you _will_ take a rep hit even after the ROP runs out (apparently, because it's considered a sneak attack ... you declared war/attacked cities while having troops inside the other civ's borders).

5. Silverflame

Silverflame OBJECTION!

Ive heard a couple of people on this thread talking about planting forests in enemy territory. It doesnt work for me. If I have a worker in enemy territory with a ROP, theres no plant buttons, or clear buttons. strange

6. Clown2TheLeft

Clown2TheLeft Chieftain

Being as this thread is 5 pages long, I'ma post this without seeing if it was already mentioned. So, if it's a repeat, disregard.

Water is a resource. Especially to an AI that enjoys irrigating so much. If you irrigate at a border square, the AI will steal it, and run it to their cities. So I mine at the borders, keep my water for my people. Hell with them. Let 'em run it from that lake they have 20 squares away. Make AI waste time while I'm building roads like mad. By the time his border cities find out that water is wet, they're speaking Persian.

Later!

--The Clown to the Left

7. Clown2TheLeft

Clown2TheLeft Chieftain

On ROP's:

Being as I like my reputation to be good--as my goal is to seperate the other civs for as much gold as possible per turn (luxuries in the modern age go for 30-50 GPT to a decent-sized Civ), I use ROP's when I KNOW a neighboring Civ is about to go to war with me. Soon as he comes in, is standing at my city, I offer a ROP, and send a worker a couple of squares out to say "hi." AI can't NOT resist attacking a worker, So this splits up their fast units from the defenders, leaving 'em unfortified, in the open. I call units like this "lunch." Then they're in my territory, the ROP is broken, their rep is hit, and everyone I was getting mass GPT from before is more than willing to continue to finance my military.

Later!

--The Joker to the Right.

No. Wait. I'm the other one. Damnit.

8. Dark Russell

Dark Russell Octagonecologyst

If you have civ's moving settlers through your turf (with or without a right of passage) or you wish to claim a particular map area for your settlers, then here's your answer: warrior walls.

3 warriors can block the movement of any settler units by putting a wall in front of them. Place 3 warriors in a line and align the centre one up with the enemy settler. As long as you move with them when they try to go around you they will never advance to where they wish to go. Usually they will get frustrated and go away but sometimes they will keep going for what seems like an endless amout of turns or will simply settle where they are. The trick is to try and stop them before they even leave their own territory!

example: (w=warrior, s=settler)

w
    w s
    w

9. Michael York

Michael York On Sabatical from Civ

DR, I love using that trick. It is very usefull on Deity to use three warriors/scouts to keep the AI from taking a nice city spot while weakening their startup & production bonuses (less chance to build more settlers)

10. OmegaMega

OmegaMega ~Flag Admiral~

In the last game I was playing, I was germany and it was the middle-middle ages. I had just begun crushing america with knights and my damn advisor razed 2 of their cities, and since it was like a rod into the sea(thier terrirory) those cities were the entrance point from my land to theirs. The enitire continent looked like a backwards L. I had "given" a city to russia after it was pilliaged by 12 barbarian horsemen for 50% of my treasury, and suddenly the joint turned into some kind of neutral embassy ground with 4 coutnries with cities on it. jeez. Anyhow, the second city I "razed" gave me 8 slave workers. I thought, great, mabye I'll turn them into citizens later, seeing as how I have 50% of the world culture. Well, I start to send them back, when I notice CHINA TRYING TO SETTLE THE CITIES I HAD RAZED AND CUT ME OFF FROM MY WAR SPOILS!!! So, I effectivly used 8 workers to form a blockade line across the joint in order to block them. This effectivly complicated matters becuase the russians had another city which the chinese protectors/settler kept on walking into. Guess russia was getting pissed. Anyhow, the problem was that if I let them have a city, the city might block off my spoils. Furthermore, Everytime they tried to get around while going into russian terrirtory I could not see them. I effectivly forced them to settle directly inbetween 2 russian cities thereafter. It was touch and go for awhile. So, next war, try to make sure that you have a few fronteir settlers avalible. Oh, china also made a city on the northern tip of my continent. It was assimilated, and the worker made a LONG trek south. hehehe. They never listened. 30 turns later china found 20 calverlry and 10 riflemen on its borders.

Oh, I never grant ROP unless I own my continent. I hate watching workers and armies move around.

11. ivory

ivory What 's the big picture?

A war during peace time.. hm, here 's a shot showing how they sabotage my wondrous wonderbuilding. Apparently you can alter someone else's improvements without causing an incident. They needed the irrigation for their city of course and we had just signed a ROP, so there was no peaceful way I could stop them removing my mines...

Attached Files:

12. Hmmmmm

Hmmmmm Chieftain

Because you can do really nasty things like irrigate their mines or mine their irrigation. Really messes up production/growth.

13. anarres

anarres anarchist revolutionary

Welcom to CFC Hmmmmm! :)

Digging up old threads is usually not a great idea - the 'strategies' contained are often out of date. In this instance you could have posted in the 'short tips' stickied thread (in this forum), or you could have started a new thread.

Anyway, please take this as *friendly* advice (I've been accused of being an ogre lately ;))...

14. WackenOpenAir

WackenOpenAir Chieftain

they never even ask me for a right of passage, they just walk trough, and if i say something about it, they will declare war.
    (early game that is, when i am still behind)

so i just let them as long as it's no military units.

15. MummyMan

MummyMan Chieftain

yeah, the ai always gets on you for it, but not for anybody else, i learned early to just forget my pride and be proud when i kick the crap out of them when i've already built an army

16. MummyMan

MummyMan Chieftain

Also, privateeers are a good war to have fun during peace time, if you mod them to be 2/1/3 of course. (makes sense if real pirate ships sank galleons and such during the time period)

EDIT: my bad annarres

17. anarres

anarres anarchist revolutionary

please stop posting in this thread - it is too outdated!

18. DoTheMath

DoTheMath Chieftain

Absolutely, don't sign ROPs just to make friends.

In after you're in diplomacy with a country press Active on the screen, it will tell you how many turns you have left before you can peacefully cancel it. If you attack the same turn you have an ROP, no country will pay gpt you for one, and its a rep hit, If you have troops intheir territory when you cancel a ROP, and attack, no one will ever sign a RoP.

19. MajorFallout

MajorFallout Battalion-Command

Another little tip is when you don't have a crucial resource, such as oil, rubber or iron, but you find one on an opponents land that is NOT occupied, you go and send a guy to settle on it. Send a settler by sea or land to that spot, and occupy it, along with a defender and a worker or two.

Obviously you know from experience that the sodding AI Civ will eventually want that resource in the future. So what you do is send 4 or more workers and as many defenders as possible, either by airdrop or ship, to the city, and rush build an airport. Then airdrop/transport 8-20 defenders to the city.

Now you need to fortify the city, by building fortresses all round the city's borders, so that any attempted invasion will be repulsed quite quickly.

You may need to send some cannons or artillery to the city, to help the defenders when an attack comes. ;)

This strategy has helped me on a number of occassions.

20. Padma

Padma the Inbond Administrator

If you want to post tips, there are two threads stickied at the top of this forum: one for Multiplayer tips, and one for single-player tips. Much of this thread is outdated, the tactics referred to no longer work in the more recent patches. Much as I dislike doing it, this thread is closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.