What do you prefer?

• Powerfull and well know Civs

Votes: 37 56.1%
  • New and local Civs never seen in CIV SERIES to add diversity

Votes: 29 43.9%

• Total voters

_Hannibal_

Chieftain
Nubia is the last chosen CIV by Firaxis. A relatively unknow Civ that we (Or at least me), had to search some info in Wikipedia to know about them. At this point, what do you want in next DLCs? Powefull and well know Civs like Mongolia, Portugal, Netherlands, Bizantium, etc... Or some local Civs like Nubia to add more diversity and new knowledge ? Just vote and post your thoughts, they are so appreciated.

Nubia is the last chosen CIV by Firaxis. A relatively unknow Civ that we (Or at least me), had to search some info in Wikipedia to know about them. At this point, what do you want in next DLCs? Powefull and well know Civs like Mongolia, Portugal, Netherlands, Bizantium, etc... Or some local Civs like Nubia to add more diversity and new knowledge ? Just vote and post your thoughts, they are so appreciated.

Since when were Nubia "unknown"? One of the great ancient Kingdoms.

I'mma go with unknown civs, however I feel like the Ottomans and Mongols are long overdue, aside from that I have no issues with them picking these obscure civs, hopefully at some point we get some extremely remote polynesian civ that isn't Polynesia the Civ.

OP did say relatively... Though Nubia was in Rise of Nations :p

I like any and all civs that get added, can't really decide between new or old. I prefer the leaders over the civs though, and therein I prefer the new.

For me, I have to admit I had to search in Google and I just found a little bit of info in spanish about Nubia. I love the ancient history, maybe (SURE) I´m not the most intelligent guy here.

Less famous civs are better because it helps bring them into the public conciousness and encourages research. There are still a lot of civs that the civ games haven't touched that have been quite large and/or influential, as well as a lot of 'blanket' civs that the devs could further explore. India, for example, could be broken into several civilizations easily.

Basically, don't assume that civs that have never been used before are automatically lesser in some way. As westerners, we have a strong bias into what the 'most important' civilizations are (and you can see that bias in the game). If you asked somebody from Africa, you'd get a very different set of empires.

In terms of gameplay, I'd rather have varied, colourful leader representations, personalities and civ traits that add flavour to the game over the same-old for every iteration of the series.

The more popular civs will probably arrive in an expansion.

As someone who loves history, one of my favorite things about civ is learning about the leaders, great people, wonders, etc. I really wish someone could make the civlopedia available outside the game so I could read all the great background information and history when I'm away from home. I know it was done for civ5 so hopefully someone can do the same for 6.

Having said that, my favorite civ is still the Roman Empire so clearly we need a good mix of both, some big names and some new faces.

I have to admit, I can't vote, because I see too many pros and cons from privileging one or another. I love to see new civs a "little" more obscur, but they have to remain somewhat important or influential. Like Nubia. I don't really see them adding as a civ, for example, the principality of Andorra, which would be totally new, but a little bit too marginal in a "grand scheme" of history. Of course, I don't think my opinion of importance is the same as the dev's mainly eurocentric view. For instance, I do believe Swahili and the Khmer or Burma are extremely important civs that should implemented almost right away, yet they seems very obscure for many players, putting them in the "new" category. I also think that when too civs are closely related, culturally or else, we should implement at first the more known than the lesser known (it doesn't mean the lesser known shouldn't be in the game, it can simply come later). This is the case, in Civ VI, of Scythia. I don't mind their inclusion, but the Mongols should have come sooner as the steppe riders civ, being the most known and important of the two.
Anyway, this is why I cannot vote for one or another : some civs should be implemented the earliest as possible because they simply can't be overlooked (Ottomans, Mongols, Portuguese, Dutch, ...), but in those I consider too important to be overlooked aare also civs that for some players are much more obscure, mainly because they're not western european (Bulgaria, Khmer, Burma, Swahili, Mali, Morocco, etc.)

Nubia is great, well-known civilization, IMHO.

Speaking about the rest, I have a feeling developers plan to make an expansion and want to save some "big" civs for it.

Honestly, the fact people don't know about Nubia says more about them, than it does about Firaxis.

What is the state of the education system around the world coming to....

Neither. I don't care about the civ names, either well-known or lesser-known. I care about the unique bonuses packed in the civ and that's it.

I prefer "big" old civs first. For me, the name of the civ is less important, as long as the implementation is interesting and offers something unique. But from a historic perspective, it bugs me when some small and obscure civ is picked just for novelty while major civs are still left out.

We don't classify Civilization as an educational game per se, although my son did learn how to read because of his interest in the Egyptians and Ramesses way back in Civ I, but any civilization that inspires reading and research should be included. I find that inspiration in the lesser known civilizations such as, Ethiopia, the Celts, Scythia, and now Nubia. We have already learned about most of the well-known civilizations in school.

I applaud the efforts that the devs are making to research these lesser-known civs to incorporate their unique units, abilities, etc into the game.

So happy with the participation and the thoughts. The conclusion I can read in the comments is that we all want new civs never seen before cause is a great opportunity to learn more about them, but still we wait great and important civs like Mongolia, Portugal, etc.

I hope we reach at least the CIV V number of civs.

Top Bottom