So many great mods GONE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA_Lamb
BTW, what happened to the 5 Classical Techs?
G&K made them redundant

So what I play/mod Vanilla, and anyway how do we dilettantes learn without examples from the best there is?

I learned Python by reading Kael's and Dale's codes and seeing how they worked in game.

Please if you still have them I'd be grateful to see how you had done them in a Mod.

By the way Compliments of the Season to you and all other CivFanatics. ;)

Last version attached - I have no idea if the TechTree.lua code fixes work with the 674/705 release (ie from when Steam Workshop was introduced)

Thank you very much for the attachment. It doesn't matter whether they work or not, what I'm interested in are the principles and methodology. I know it will take time to learn all these new methods.

It's funny, I can usually understand what I'm reading in the codes, what I can't yet do is reproduce them for me. But it takes time and patience. Thank you again.

Last version attached - I have no idea if the TechTree.lua code fixes work with the 674/705 release (ie from when Steam Workshop was introduced)

Have the revived techs been tested in the current version of Civ 5? I'd like to add at least two (Boat Building and Laws) to my Nordic modpack project; if your classic set included the old Ceremonial Burial tech (needed for a few Nordic buildings and Wonders), it would be even better. Of course, you'd get credit for those parts of the code! :thanx:

Have the revived techs been tested in the current version of Civ 5?

Nope. It was "retired" when 674 came along, and has only been dragged out of an archive - it's "sold as seen" ;)

Ah the great joys of Mod tinkering isnorden, now we have the idea and basics of something, change it to suit you including the Ceremonial Burial, and if you're successful could you return here and let us also have it? You're not the only one in need of this Tech. Thank you and Merry X'mas.

I need Astrology, so I'll be doing this as well and in due time I'll let you know if I was succesfull.

Originally Posted by whoward69

Now I understand the reference. Sometimes I get tunnel vision, sorry.

Did you do a Lord Rutherford on all of us at the time and fixed the TechTree without any fanfare, just to introduce your Techs? (Rutherford invented the electricity line pinion, which principle is still used today, because he wanted electricity at his lab which was quite a distance from where electricity was being supplied to his estate. Never told anybody for a considerable time as he considered it just a technical solution not a scientific advance!)

I don't yet know if they work, I was just perusing the Mod and I suddenly realized that your Lua code was longer then spotted differences to the original, then I paid attention and realized it had been modded. Nice, I'll try it and report back if it's still working. Thank you. :goodjob:

Hi whoward69, I have a question for you: I would love to use the "Honor gives a warrior" mod, but I also use another mod that modifies the Honor tree, so I don't think I can use them both without merging them. So first, I will ask if I can get permission to copy your LUA file into my own Mod - and if so, will I need to do anything to "activate" the LUA file in the mod when making the mod in Modbuddy - like how I need to add the XML files to the action list? I've never done anything with LUA so far, so I don't know how this works ...

Hi whoward69, I have a question for you: I would love to use the "Honor gives a warrior" mod, but I also use another mod that modifies the Honor tree, so I don't think I can use them both without merging them. So first, I will ask if I can get permission to copy your LUA file into my own Mod - and if so, will I need to do anything to "activate" the LUA file in the mod when making the mod in Modbuddy - like how I need to add the XML files to the action list? I've never done anything with LUA so far, so I don't know how this works ...

When merging mods, always look at the .modinfo file. The .modinfo file tells you what files need to be VFS true (import = "1"), what files go to the database (<OnModActivated>yadayada) and what files are imported into the UI. If you look in the .modinfo for whowards Honor gives warrior mod, you will likely find that the .lua file has something like "InGameUIAddin". These can be implemented using the Content tab in the modbuddy properties.

Alas... your TechTree.Lua works, the lines are solid, the sliders work, but the "CLOSE" button doesn't! :eek:

I'm sure your mod didn't interfere there, but the relentless drive for sales "subtly" ie. needlessly changed it so that we would be buying upgrading to the next "subtle" variation we don't need. God once one becomes older and experiences the brazen attitudes of thoughtless Marketeers one becomes suspicious and cynical of everything they do.

Thanks anyway wHoward69. I'll now waste a couple of days to see where the changes were made.

Update, your TreeTech.Lua still seems to work.

The close Button in your version tries to update and later close an "AdvisorPopUp", while the newer version does not mention the Advisor. Anyway it's only 2 lines and I think I can REM them out. Sorry comment them out.

However by reading the whole of the two codes I found that 'esc' acts as a Hot key, used it and the TechTree seems to work at least for the first 20 turns on two games; yours or other techs picked, thanks.

Overall it was less painful than I imagined and I saw that you tightened the code quite a bit within your mod. Cleverly done.

Top Bottom