So, The Internet sucks after all...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mowque

Hypermodernist
Time.com -
In a stunning result, the winner of the third annual TIME 100 poll and new owner of the title World's Most Influential Person is moot. The 21-year-old college student and founder of the online community . .. .. .. .. ..org, whose real name is Christopher Poole, received 16,794,368 votes and an average influence rating of 90 (out of a possible 100) to handily beat the likes of Barack Obama, Vladimir Putin and Oprah Winfrey. To put the magnitude of the upset in perspective, it's worth noting that everyone moot beat out actually has a job.
http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1894028,00.html

Musekick dug this up. I'm thoroughly disgusted with it. Your opinions?

I'm also disgusted. Thunderfall should've won! :mad:

Srsly, though, that is pretty sad &/or funny depending how you look at it.

Very uncertain times ahead & largely unfulfilling times at present, humor keeps us sane & our leaders are not particularly inspiring ATM. Nor are there many causes people feel largely drawn to like in the 60's. Environmentalism feels like a losing battle, progress too slow, tipping points already hit & you feel like a hypocrite posting about it on a computer. Animals rights is... well, it's just not all that inspiring really, not compared to fighting in the revolutionary war or discovering new continents.

I actually am bemused by this really. I think it speaks loud & clear. In a world both too comfortable & too uncomfortable at the same time, where the Internet is a refuge & the corporate media is largely crap this is unsurprising. You might as well be upset about the largest usergroup on CFC. Sign of the times. If you can't do much of anything in the grand scheme of things might as well at least enjoy a few LOLs I say. :)

I'm not surprised, just a shade disturbed.

Also, what a weird autocensor.

You have to admit . .. .. .. .. . is very influential. Maybe not in a good way, but that's not what the poll was asking.

EDIT: why is <that site> auto censored?

Most influential person..?

Time got what they should have expected from an internet poll.

Not surprising, and way less cool than George P. Burdell being voted 2001's Man of the Year.

EDIT: why is [it] auto censored?

Probably a good call; from what I've heard about that place, they don't really deserve a mention by name...

Of course Poole is influential ... he was able to direct thousands of his minions, stooges and other hanger-ons to TIME's internet poll!

Just think of what can be done with that energy if there was a point to it!

So 'fess up, which of you visit That Which Must Not Be Named? :groucho:

(What I'm really asking is who is responsible for this?)

So 'fess up, which of you visit That Which Must Not Be Named? :groucho:

(What I'm really asking is who is responsible for this?)
The channers commune in their chanery with the interchanging of obscure and unfunny memes, not by public admission. :mad:

I heard that they cheated and used bots to get him up there.

Which I guess isn't surprising, given the sorts of people who hang out at that type.

AFAIK, that poll was hacked. See here.

Crosspost.

Integral said:
Bots, apparently.

Inside the precision hack

America needed this guy for Bush... he could have been the worlds most popular internet President :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom