TIME: After the Financial Crisis, a Clean-Up That Changes Everything

JohnRM

Don't make me destroy you
http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1843213,00.html

TIME said:
The dominoes fell one right after the other: the demise of Lehman Brothers tipping into the rushed sale of Merrill Lynch to Bank of America followed by the federal takeover of AIG. Then, the desperate credit crunch of Wednesday caused the emergency maneuvering by the Federal Reserve and the Treasury on Thursday and Friday.

In a week, the financial crisis of 2008 changed everything — and now comes the cleanup: if the administration's $700 billion Wall Street bailout plan is approved by Congress, the United States will see changes to its political economy that were unimaginable a week ago.

Among them:

A massive transfer of power to the Treasury Department.

Secretary Henry Paulson is requesting unprecedented powers to resolve and dispose of billions of dollars of mortgages and mortgage backed securities that will turn the feds into the liquidator of last resort for business deals gone bad. Those powers, should Congress grant them, would come on top of authority Paulson was quietly granted earlier this summer to resolve the Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac messes. And the federal fire sale may not be limited to problem portfolios at home; there are reports that some of those entities subject to Treasury's purchase-and-resale powers may be foreign.

A sudden shift in taxpayer's financial priorities.

To put the bailout plan, in some kind of perspective, Paulson would rule over a pile of assets that exceeds the annual Pentagon budget of $507 billion by nearly 50 percent. For at least the next year, and perhaps for years after, Treasury's spending authority will make it harder for the next President to fulfill campaign promises and pump money into new priorities. Depending on how Paulson's power is structured, it could even postpone new federal spending on health care reform, infrastructure improvements or hasten the need for increased taxes and deep spending cuts. A similar challenge faced incoming President George Herbert Walker Bush in 1989 when his administration had to oversee a $100 billion cleanup of poorly regulated savings and loans that were weakened or simply crashed after the go-go 1980s.

An abrupt refocusing of the presidential race.

Once again it's about the economy, stupid — and financial markets and how they are best regulated. There will also be discussion of whether anyone on Wall Street will be forced to pay a price for the wreckage taxpayers are now being told they will have to clean up. That shift should benefit Democratic nominee Barack Obama for many reasons, as economics in difficult times rarely help Republicans. But this race has proven conventional wisdom wrong time and again. What seems more certain is this: though virtually no one was calling for it, a new era of big government has arrived.

A dismaying final chapter for George W. Bush.

Conservatives who hoped that the Bush team would leave a legacy of smaller government, freer markets and fewer regulations can officially kiss that hope goodbye. Government officials report that the President, whatever his ideological reservations about the Treasury's next move, cleared the way for the bailout in the face of what looked like certain economic meltdown.

Congress must still approve the bailout — but no one wants to take responsibility for what may come in the absence of action; the plan is likely to go through.

Of course, these changes are just for starters. There is no telling what this week may bring.

Those foreign entities being primarily Japan and China.

Actually, the "foreign entities" are foreign investment banks that were added to the program over the weekend, including UBS. And who's a lobbyist for UBS? None other than Phil "nation of whiners" Gramm.

Should we just give the Nobel Prize to Phil Gramm now? He writes de-regulation laws, leaves Congress to become a lobbyist for the same companies now de-regulated, the de-regulated industries collapse in a bubble, then he makes money lobbying for some clients to get in on the bubble collapse bail-out. And McCain hasn't written him off for Treasury Secretary! Seriously, the guy's a genius.

Cleo

McCain 08 - change you can believe in, because if you're like 25% of Americans, you can believe anything.

Well, Bush finally got his damn legacy.

Looks like the tip of the iceberg to me. Wonder what else there trying to cover up.

Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency.

All decision-making power will be consolidated into the Executive Branch

Looks like the tip of the iceberg to me. Wonder what else there trying to cover up.

Wouldn't surprise me.

George W. Bush said:
The true history of my administration will be written 50 years from now, and you and I will not be around to see it.

Isn't there 50-year classification limit on Presidential information? I seem to recall some Kennedy documents being released awhile back, but I honestly wasn't paying close attention.

Whatever documents haven't been burned before then.

Basically, the Bush library will be empty, which is fairly fitting. I don't think he's ever read a book in his life.

zing?

Whatever documents haven't been burned before then.

Basically, the Bush library will be empty, which is fairly fitting. I don't think he's ever read a book in his life.

zing?

My Pet Goat? ;)

Cleo

Well at least Bush was right when he said the insurgency in Iraq would be a comma. He was just wrong about the context of the comma -- it won't be in an article about the Iraq War, but in a general overview of the Presidency.

Ahh, My Pet Goat. Yes, it speaks volumes. And now they want expanded oversight. And a payout to the IBs that got us in this mess that will amount to $10k per household. For once, I agree with McCain's skepticism.

@ I'm Cleo: I hear you, and I agree that the US taxpayer should not be in the business of bailing out Swiss banks, but welcome to the global economy. Once the fed creates a market for this junk, it is going to be hard to exclude the likes of UBS, Barclays, etc. The same reason that opening up ANWR doesn't all go to the US, but only adds a drop in the world bucket...

Was that the book he was reading on 9/11?

Yeah. Truthfully, I can't blame him for reacting the way he did -- I have no idea how I would react in a situation like that. I can't imagine what was going through his mind. But I thought it was a pretty good joke. :)

Cleo

Top Bottom