• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

So what city-states are you missing?

chaotoroboto

Warlord
So Arioch's site has the full list of 28 city states known to be included, and there's some pretty good representation from the Scandinavians, Eastern Europeans, and Phoenicians, with some pretty clear love for Celts as well.

Spoiler :

* Almaty: Militaristic
* Belgrade: Militaristic
* Bucharest: Cultured
* Budapest: Militaristic
* Brussels: Cultured
* Cape Town: Maritime, Friendly
* Copenhagen: Maritime
* Dublin: Militaristic, Friendly
* Edinburgh: Militaristic, Irrational
* Florence: Cultured, Irrational
* Geneva: Cultured, Irrational
* Genoa: Maritime, Hostile
* Hanoi: Militaristic
* Helsinki: Maritime
* Lhasa: Cultured
* Monaco: Cultured, Irrational
* Oslo: Maritime
* Kuala Lumpur: Cultured
* Ragusa: Maritime
* Rio de Janeiro: Maritime
* Seoul: Cultured, Hostile
* Sidon: Militaristic, Hostile
* Singapore: Maritime
* Stockholm: Maritime, Irrational
* Tyre: Militaristic
* Venice: Maritime
* Vienna: Cultured, Neutral
* Warsaw: Cultured, Hostile

The existing list looks like developer's pet history interests (We have to include Kazakhstan, guys. Come on!), so if you were banging out you own list, who would you add in?

For myself, I think Jerusalem, Beirut, and Dubai would add some nice Middle-Eastern flavor, and I don't understand how Taiwan and Hong Kong aren't in there already, and possibly Macau. In Africa and South America, Buenos Aires, Lagos, and Nairobi all exert more influence as cities than the countries that contain them. The US's client state relationship with Manila helped define the Pacific theater of WWII, and I think Bay of Pigs both validates the City State model and necessitates that Havana be included.

Who else should be on there? It's just an xml file, no reason there shouldn't be like 400 city-states.

I belive Malacca could be one of the city-states. Malacca was very important COT of the East Indies.

Yeah, and over in Indonesia it'd be nice to have Jakarta. Indonesia and Malayia are both pretty clearly not superpowers, but they're giant countries full of people. Indonesia's like the 4th largest country in the world, right?

Malacca would be good, as would the ones you mention.
Also some of:
Quebec, Sydney, Barcelona, Antioch, Tripoli, Valetta, Rhodes, Reykjavik, Bogota, Dhaka, Rangoon, Zanzibar, Granada, Lisbon, Santiago, Kinshasa, Accra, Acre, Tyre, Bahrain, Aden.

Troy.

I would really like to see some more ancient city states in there, it's only Tyre, Sidon and Ragusa at the moment. I would also prefer some more cities that have historically been city states rather than just the capitals of small countries. Gdansk and Katowice would have been better than Warsaw for example. Others: Zanzibar, Aden, Djibouti, Kuwait, Tangier.

I don't understand how Taiwan and Hong Kong aren't in there already, and possibly Macau.
They already have Lhasa in there. I assume Firaxis would like to be able to sell something in China instead of getting a blanket ban.

I hope that the lack of South American cities besides Rio means we can look forward to a slightly unhistoric Spanish-American civ led by Simon Bolivar.

Malacca would be good, as would the ones you mention.
Also some of:
Quebec, Sydney, Barcelona, Antioch, Tripoli, Valetta, Rhodes, Reykjavik, Bogota, Dhaka, Rangoon, Zanzibar, Granada, Lisbon, Santiago, Kinshasa, Accra, Acre, Tyre, Bahrain, Aden.

Wasn't Rhodes a Greek city in Civ4? Portugal and Spain are likely going to be a future civ, so we won't see Lisbon or Barcelona.

Yes. Every ancient City State that doesn't somehow preclude adding more ancient Civs I am for.

They already have Lhasa in there. I assume Firaxis would like to be able to sell something in China instead of getting a blanket ban.

Localized edition? I mean, they're going to have to translate it anyway to sell to anyone besides American ex-pats.

Definite yes to Sydney and Quebec. Christchurch?

Portugal and Spain are two of the most obvious DLC Civs, and deserve more than just City States. Same with Mongols, Zulu, and Mali.

I'd love to see a modern South American Civ, but none of the South American countries have really hit superpower status since the end of the colonial period. Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Venezuela and Mexico all have good claims for Civ 11 or so, but none of them have made it yet.

Some suggestions from Eastern Europe:

Gdańsk/Danzig - important port city in northern Poland and member of the Hanseatic League, was fought over by Germany and Poland. Pomerania was also a target of Swedish conquest, although I believe they never went as far East as Danzig.

Prague - Now the capital of the Czech republic, it was an important city in Bohemia and the capital for the Holy Roman Empire.

Dubrovnik - In modern day Croatia, it was a city-state and commercial rival to Venice in the Middle Ages. Between the 14th and 19th centuries, under the slavic name Rugosa, it was ruled as an autonomous free state, though under different powers.

Bratislava/Preßburg - Modern capital of Slovakia, was once the capital of the Kingdom of Hungary.

Also, I noticed there are no Spanish or Portuguese city-state names, does that mean a Spanish civilization will be worked on as an add-on? Obvious suggestions would be Madrid, Barcelona, Lisbon.

I'm also assuming Cardiff is already being used in one of the civs.. also Sardis, probably by the Ottomans.

Helsinki should have been Militaristic. Finland isn't exactly known for it's great navy. The only real great historical thing we're known for is the Winter War. Positive thing that Stockholm is labelled Irrational anyways. I've been in Stockholm a lot and I even have my little lady from there, so I know exactly how irrational it is!

Helsinki should have been Militaristic. Finland isn't exactly known for it's great navy. The only real great historical thing we're known for is the Winter War. Positive thing that Stockholm is labelled Irrational anyways. I've been in Stockholm a lot and I even have my little lady from there, so I know exactly how irrational it is!

Why would you consider Helsinki militaristic when Finland was mostly ruled by foreign powers like the Swedish and Russians?

I also don't white agree with Edinburgh being counted as militaristic either, it was an intellectual center in England so should be regarded as cultured. They also constructed a big wall there for protection against English attacks.

Too many Europeon city states imo. We need some more in Africa, the Middle East, and the America's.

Well, the Middle East is almost all going to go under Ottoman, Egyptian or Arab cities, which is why I picked out Beirut, Jerusalem, and Dubai, in that they've been hugely important to world events both while autonomous and while parts of other empires - whether ancient or modern. I agree on the desire for more, but I can't think of any.

Pretty much all of the modern South American and Central American megalopolises qualify in my mind because they established and are still key parts of the modern globalized economy. Panama, Bogota, and Buenos Aires (and Rio) especially.

Too many Europeon city states imo. We need some more in Africa, the Middle East, and the America's.

I don't know what cities are covered by the Songhai and the Ottomans, otherwise I'd give suggestions.

I'm guessing the Ottomans will have cities like Sardis, for example. I'd suggest Nicosia (Cyprus) also. Even if it wasn't represented by the Ottomans, though, it would probably cause controversy in the game.

Why would you consider Helsinki militaristic when Finland was mostly ruled by foreign powers like the Swedish and Russians?

I think it would be a lot better than Maritime at least. Helsinki wasn't a major city until the beginning of the 19th century, and considering the history of Finland as a sovereign state, militaristic would be more suitable.

I think it would be a lot better than Maritime at least. Helsinki wasn't a major city until the beginning of the 19th century, and considering the history of Finland as a sovereign state, militaristic would be more suitable.

I don't really think Helsinki should've been a city state in the first place. Maritime fits it best, though, since I don't see the Finns launching crusades or conquering foreign peoples or anything.

Top Bottom