So what happened to the Monument?

Calouste

Deity
Look at the following image taken from anandus on the screenshot thread:

Vilnius has an Amphitheatre, as shown by the thick white border around the Great Work slot. (Buildings that haven't been build yet are shown with thin grey borders around their Great Work slots.) But Vilnius only produces 1 culture per turn, the yield of an Amphitheater in BNW without a Great Work.

Lodz and Wroclaw on the other hand produce 3 culture, but look to have the same buildings as at Vilnius. It could be that that culture is from a Pantheon, but in the other screenshots it doesn't show the Polish cities to have any religion.

At the minimum we can conclude that having a Monument is no longer a prerequisite to build an Amphitheater. (Or that Firaxis screwed up when they created the sample game.)

Another possibility is, as Poland has 5 cities, that Vilnius is the 5th city, Legalism (or maybe the Tradition opener) now gives a flat +2 culture in your first four cities instead of a free cultural building (the current implementation of Legalism has its issues, so changing it wouldn't be unlikely), and that the Monument no longer exists. Of course, having a Monument that gives 2 culture when the base of the Amphitheater is only 1 at a significantly higher cost doesn't seem to be balanced.

National Epic is still in the screen, and you need a monument in each city to build that (IIRC). It's possible they changed the prereq for NE, but I doubt it.

Probably what is more likely is that the monument doesn't generate any tourism and has no great work locations, which would explain why it's not in this UI (it appears to be for managing which cities generate what kind of tourism with whatever great works or artifacts).

National Epic is still in the screen, and you need a monument in each city to build that (IIRC). It's possible they changed the prereq for NE, but I doubt it.

Probably what is more likely is that the monument doesn't generate any tourism and has no great work locations, which would explain why it's not in this UI (it appears to be for managing which cities generate what kind of tourism with whatever great works or artifacts).

That still doesn't answer the question of why Vilinus has less culture than the other two cities though.

IMO, it's probably just some sort of new social policy. It's also possible those cities built wonders that don't have any GW slots but that still give culture, but that seems unlikely to me.

The demos are completely manufactured to show off new features. They aren't games per say and consequently dont need to follow the rules. Previous screenshots have aso had these odd things in.

Essnetially, devs just made vilnius and created things with great works slots to show them off. Monuments likely haven't changed in that regard, they just didn't put them in the demo.

It's entirely possible that the culture buildings don't have each other for prereqs anymore since they each seem to have different uses (Amphitheater - Play, Opera House - Music, Museum - Art).

Yes, it's possible, but I fear you are overthinking it. It's not like they are crafting these demos and screenshots as giants puzzles for us to figure out :)

In all likelihood, it's not showing the monument because it doesn't generate a tourism bonus or have a great works slot.

I say they built the city for the demo and added an amphitheater without adding a monument. They didn't actually start a game and build it up in preparation for the demo. There is no reason to expect a logical selection of buildings. Just the ones they wanted to show off.

I also find it funny that people are ignoring basic logic.. because you can hang a Mona Lisa on a Monument for everybody to see and take.

Still haven't figured out what the one on the far right is, have we? Probably a national wonder, but it's not the Hermitage.

Still haven't figured out what the one on the far right is, have we? Probably a national wonder, but it's not the Hermitage.

You'd expect the Hermitage to have more than 1 Great Works slot anyway. Its location on the grid suggests it is a National Wonder, maybe some kind of National Theatre or Opera? So far we know that the Louvre still exists and the Uffizi is new, which are two Art/Artifact type World Wonders. Then there is the Globe Theatre as a World Wonder for Plays, so we probably need something for music.

You'd expect the Hermitage to have more than 1 Great Works slot anyway. Its location on the grid suggests it is a National Wonder, maybe some kind of National Theatre or Opera?
The Hermitage is national wonder, and extra slot in every city would be a pretty good benefit that it could add to cities with a museum.

But, it is not the current graphic. So, maybe it is a new NnlW.

So far we know that the Louvre still exists and the Uffizi is new, which are two Art/Artifact type World Wonders. Then there is the Globe Theatre as a World Wonder for Plays, so we probably need something for music.
The Louvre is listed in the row with Warsaw, so that shows us the trend for normal wonders.

I would say that's true. Usually things are more powerful closer to the end of the game. Since it comes after the Louvre, it should be better than the Louvre.

Top Bottom