1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

So wonders do not become obsolete at all anymore?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Wuddel, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Wuddel

Wuddel Warlord

Haven't found any indication of that in the manual. This would suddenly make some early wonders incredible. I am thinking Colossus on Archipelago maps here for example.

2. Robovski

Robovski Chieftain

Stonehenge is (I think) +8 culture, that's a lot of bonus culture.

3. hclass

hclass Prince

This is great news. I like it!

4. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

The manual doesn't mention a number of things though, like unit upgrade trees or all of the advanced game set up options. So we won't know for several more hours.

5. bhavv

bhavv Glorious World Dictator

I really hoping they dont.

I like the colossus wonder too and want to main as Elizabeth. In previous Civ games it went obsolete far too quick (Astronomy in Civ IV which is a must for seafaring games? What a joke!).

All those science wonders obsoleting at scientific method was silly as well.

6. Wuddel

Wuddel Warlord

Yeah. I do not know. I am phrasing this as a question.

7. juanbobo

juanbobo Warlord

I think it's realistic that wonders stop being "functional" after a set amount of time because as in real life they're eventually no longer functional and just a point of interest.

8. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

Or burn down.

5 of the 7 Ancient Wonders burned down.

9. Robovski

Robovski Chieftain

And/or fell into the sea.

10. Feyd Rautha

Feyd Rautha Prince

The strategy guide says that The Colossus goes obsolete with Navigation. The manual does not have that information (although tbh the manual is rather light on the information). We will know in a little over 4 hours.

11. CyberChrist

CyberChrist You caught my attention

Of the 'official' 7 ancient wonders only 1 remains today - The Pyramids.

Only 2 of them was destroyed by fire - Temple of Artemis and Statue of Zeus (unless you are also counting Great Library, which was in fact not one of the 'official' wonders).

The Colossus, Lighthouse and Mausoleum was all destroyed/damaged by earthquakes and the remains dismantled for other uses.

It is unclear exactly what destroyed the Hanging Gardens (or if they ever existed at all), but the most popular explenations are an earthquake, wars and lack of maintenance - or possibly a combination of all 3.

12. Feyd Rautha

Feyd Rautha Prince

RE: Hanging Gardens

I just read about Babylon in order to speculate more about their civ stats. I was surprised at how many times Babylon has actually been rebuilt. It was actually razed by the Assyrian's twice and then (after the post-Chaldean period when the gardens were purportedly built) suffered at least half a dozen exchange of hands before it was razed for the last time.

13. Wuddel

Wuddel Warlord

Bummer, oh well. I assume you still get the culture and GPP.

14. Necro-

Necro- Chieftain

yea i kinda hope they don't either, for example the stone hedge doesn't become any less special with the passing of time.

15. BjoernLars

BjoernLars Warlord

Well, I think that some wonders need to become obsolete after awhile. I remember a discussion about the Great Wall. Early in the game, when borders are still relatively small it is a nice effect. Later on, when borders are large and mature, it is a bit over power. Definitely needs to become obsolete at a certain point.