Sound, movies, High Council on Civ2 Gold

cheerfuldragon

Chieftain
Hello all,

I'm a veteran Civ2 player, so my daughter bought me Civ2 Gold edition to download onto my laptop as a virtual, socially distanced Fathers Day present. Game play is great, but I can't get the music, Wonders movies or the animated High Council, even with my old Civ2 disc in my drive (which shows how old I am!!) The High Council especially is my favourite bit (and I'm trying to convert my missis to Civ, so I need all the help I can get!) Any advice?.

Hello all,

I'm a veteran Civ2 player, so my daughter bought me Civ2 Gold edition to download onto my laptop as a virtual, socially distanced Fathers Day present. Game play is great, but I can't get the music, Wonders movies or the animated High Council, even with my old Civ2 disc in my drive (which shows how old I am!!) The High Council especially is my favourite bit (and I'm trying to convert my missis to Civ, so I need all the help I can get!) Any advice?.
Hello!
Common steps for playing Civ2 on modern systems:
1) For videos enable Intel Indeo Codec. And don't use noCD-patch - it disables videos!
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/indeo-codec-troubles-with-civ2-solved.362336/#post-14899055
2) If you are on Windows 10 - turn on legacy DirectPlay feature. Control Panel - Programs - Turn Windows Features on or off - Legacy Components - DirectPlay
3) Also if you are on 64-bit Windows, apply patch https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...ks-on-win10-1709-fall-creators-update.622154/

Hello!
Common steps for playing Civ2 on modern systems:
1) For videos enable Intel Indeo Codec. And don't use noCD-patch - it disables videos!
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/indeo-codec-troubles-with-civ2-solved.362336/#post-14899055
2) If you are on Windows 10 - turn on legacy DirectPlay feature. Control Panel - Programs - Turn Windows Features on or off - Legacy Components - DirectPlay
3) Also if you are on 64-bit Windows, apply patch https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...ks-on-win10-1709-fall-creators-update.622154/

I tried all these steps and got the "Consult High Council" to run as well as the animation on starting the game. But I cannot run the music. When I click on "pick music" I get a message saying the CD is not in the drive, but I have mounted the ISO file !!! Please see this forum post for more detail.

How do I play the music?

But I cannot run the music. When I click on "pick music" I get a message saying the CD is not in the drive, but I have mounted the ISO file !!! Please see this forum post for more detail.

How do I play the music?

I have a vague recollection of running into the same problem, and finding out that ISO files don't store regular CD tracks. You should probably double check that, however, since it has been quite a while.

Not sure about MGE, but Test of Time with Test of Time Patch Project has a music patch where you simply need to keep mp3 files of all the tracks in a Music folder.

I have a vague recollection of running into the same problem, and finding out that ISO files don't store regular CD tracks. You should probably double check that, however, since it has been quite a while.

Not sure about MGE, but Test of Time with Test of Time Patch Project has a music patch where you simply need to keep mp3 files of all the tracks in a Music folder.

Thank you Prof. Garfield. I did some reading on Wikipedia and it seems ISO files cannot store multiple CD tracks, so the music cannot be played.

Thank you Prof. Garfield. I did some reading on Wikipedia and it seems ISO files cannot store multiple CD tracks, so the music cannot be played.

Yup I ripped my Civ2 MGE CD to a BIN file using ImgBurn as BIN files will rip the music and also make a CUE file which tells your cd mounting program the music track positions inside the BIN (so mount the CUE file not the BIN) and you should be good to go.

Last edited:
There may be media files on CD in "Video" and "Kings" files, you can copy them to your Civ2 folder on the hard disk.

For music: Make sure physical CD or virtual (must be Mixed Mode) is CD-ROM 0 in Disk Management when mounted, if not Disable all of them in the Device Manager and reenable the Civ2 one first.

For videos: Enable Indeo 4.1 codecs (they come with Win11 already but are disabled) with CodecTweakTool_667.exe under ACM/VFW (x86)

Top Bottom