Spanish Empire

Icaria909

Emperor
This is pretty sad that no one seems to like make civ stories for this game. For civ three that was one of the highlights to visiting the forums. I don't know how many people will read this or respond to this, but ill post it for my enjoyment.

Starting Conditions
Huge western Hemisphere Map
Conquistidor
Spanish (Jose de San Martin)
Marathon

Chapter 1

I loaded up my caravel with a pioneer unit and a veteran soldier. My first idea was to find the coast of south america and use it to find the caribean.

finding the coast I continued to sail along seeing some scattered Incan settlements. eventually I made contact with the first indians.

Many turns later I spot islands coming off south america and I start to head for the middle of the caribean. I believe by now, most of the other europeans have settled on the west coast of Brazil or america. Oh well, the spaniards have a better plan. I find this land mass:

and i name it Cuba. I settle my first city and call it Havana. I plan to use it as a springboard for conquests and further colonization. The romans made the mediteranean sea the roman lake, well i am going to make the caribean a spanish lake and the atlantic a spanish ocean. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I eventually met the dutch, and got from them a free borders agreement. I am hoping to keep on good terms with them, because i believe they have a colony ringing the caribean in north america. I don't want to have to battle them or have them start building privateers so i will have to watch out for them.

I keep havana producing tobaco because i need to make roughly 1000 gold to buy horses. I plan to use the horses and my veteran soldier to make a veteran cavalry unit and use it to conquer the americas. so i send out my caravel to explore the caribean a little bit. after sailing back to europe to pick up a veteran silver miner and selling some of my colonial goods, i have a decently detailed map of the islands of the Caribean.

On first return visit back to Havana, I see a french caravel and I make contact. I get a world map from the french for 30gold and my world map. No Problem, because i need to avoid the other civs colonies because later i have to dodge privateers. Why does everyone always want to put the spanish down? Anyways, here is a map of the french colonies so far:

After buying horses and bringing back a free colonist to havana, I convert my veteran soldier into a cavalry and ship him to latin america to explore. The year is 1525. As I make contact with Logan, I see someone else has already made limited contact with him, as I only find one treasure in his cities. After getting decent idea of where most of logans military units are, I position my conquistidor on a mountain facing logans westernmost city, while hiding my treasure (estimate worth at 1800 gold), with the invasion to begin in the year 1531. Here is a map of the territory i am going to conquer:

I attack once to start the war by attacking/killing one of the units in the city. My conquistidor loses no health. I promote my cavalry unit to health 1+2, and grenadier 1. I need him to be able to heal in enemy territory, which is why I am promoting him so much. I only have one unit, and although he is very power and puede ir a ganar (going to win) in small engagements, he will die in a large counterattack. So, I decide to try a trick, I am going to use that treasure unit as bait to lure out the indian forces and hopefully split their forces.

And the Indians take the Bait! One indian imidietely rushes to grab the treasure and another one lands right next to the city.

I attack again in the city killing another unit. By this point, the indians are too concerned with protecting their treasure to think about a counterattack. the following turn the indians send another indian back to the city in a last ditch effort to defend it. I see they left my old treasure unit too lightly defended and i attack to get it back.

I spend the next two turns, bringing spanish might to bear down on the remaining indians in the city. when the city collapses, an indian native is left in it's place with another treasure. I use the native to build Veracruz (the true Cross).

I set the native unit in the city to producing silver. natives have the ability to produce extra raw resources, so he produces two silver instead of one. Perfect..... Now, i must conquer more native cities, AND ENSLAVE THE REST OF THE NATIVES TO MINE SILVER...... Veracruz is the start of the vicerroyality of New Spain, but Veracruz is also the start of a golden age for spain. or should i say an age of silver.......

My forces beginn to march east, meeting scattered indian resistance. I met a single indian unit traversing the mountain peaks as it headed toward Veracruz. I met the unit on a hill and killed it, but it heavilly damaged the health of my dragoon. I promote my forces to explorer 1 (easier to travel because of -1 terrain movement) so that my dragoon can flee if he sees a heavy counterattack coming.

Domestically: I pick up a jesuit missionary ad a master rancher in Europe. After selling more tobacco I have 2245 gold. I am saving for 3000 gold to buy another caravel so I can more easily transport all the silver i am going to collect.

In order to spot if the indians have a stack of doom approaching, I stick my dragoon on a mountain peak to get a greater line of sight.

I attack the city and my dragoon loses no health. But then, two indian fighters from the cities fly out and attack the spanish forces guarding the mountain. The first wave attacks but spanish forces repelled the attack with half of its life still intact. The second wave attacks, but spanish forces are barely able to send the indian force into a rout. My dragoon survives the assualt with

I upgrade to veteran 3+4 and park my dragoon on the mountain to tend to the wounded for a few turns. Being able to see very far away because of the mountain, i notice that no indian reinforcements arrive to reinforce the indian garrison. I take this as a sign of weakness on the part of the indians, leaving more confident in my victory over of latin america. The king however, doesn't seem to believe so, because he raises my taxes from 0% to 3%. AAAHHHH!!!!! stupid king. After my dragoon comes back to full health (only after 4 turns) I finish my attack on the cityand destroy it to find another indian native and a treasure. I move all these units to one tile east near the coast to found Isabella.

I feel safe enough to found the settlement even though indian forces could lie south because i havent seen any other indian units come up this way. Besides, my dragoon can quickly come back to reinforce the garrison in Isabella. I send my dragoon north to attack another indian settlement. I plant my forces on the only non forest tile to await the counterattack (if i landed on a forest tile, indian fighters would get extra attack points against my dragoon). Surprisingly no counterattack comes, so spend a few leisurely turns killing the units inside the indian settlement. When the indian forces collapses, I move the new indian slave and the treasure i gained from the destroyed indian settlement to found Santo Domingo on the west coast of latin america, at

I left my dragoon to heal for one more turn and i sent him south to see if any more indian settlements under logans leadership still existed: sure enough I found one with a population of two and only one unit defending it. After two turns of Attacking it, i destroy the city and use the new native to found San Salvador. I send another caravel i bought carrying a veteran silver miner to santo Domingo to increase silver production.

I discover that that was the last settlement, so i place my dragoon on the isthmus of panama to guard against other indian civs, while i put Santo Domingos production on more silver.

The first spanish indian war is at an end. More to be written down soon.

Nice story. Hope to see more - I think it was getting pretty interesting. Come on - finish it up man :) and reveal how the spanish conquests ended.

I am also waiting for the next part. :)

I am also waiting for the next part. :)

I'll post in a week or so. I have had a ton of work in school that I have had to finish.

I also await the next installment with baited breath! :D

I only have one thing to ask! When you add the pictures, can you pretty, pretty please make them the smaller size? With the huge pics in the first post, I can't fit it all in one screen!

Thanks for doing this, I can't wait to see the outcome :)

What I found interesting with your story is that it was easy to understand the way you were thinking. It helps me to develop a greater understanding of different ways than my own how to play a game and how to think in forms of various strategies.

I posting tomorow or the next day. Yay, finals are almost over!:D yah, but i am just warning you guys that my pictures might be a little weird as I try to stick them in spoilers and make them smaller. thanks for reading.:king:

heh! I didn't notice that. By the way, I am sorry for not posting as often. I am going to spain in a week so I have been busy preparing to go. SOOO, I am going to try and post at least half an hours worth of gameplay a day until I leave. Here is the first one.

During the reconquista, the spaniards developed the idea that the sword resembles a cross when flipped upside down, so it is fitting that the ideas of christiananity should travel in the wake of the spaniard's war in the americas. I recieved a missionary from spain and I sent it on my transport ship to Tlaxcala, a native american town just north of Veracruz.

It is my hope that the converted natives I recieve from Tlaxcala will help me to populate northern mexico. Also, the ongoing interaction of training converted natives and having natives train them to be farmers not only boosts the local economy of mexico, but also improves relations and will help to prevent them from attacking me while I focus on wars in south america.

As the commander of the forces of spain in the new world I sent my conquistador to south america to look for treasure and develop a map of the surrounding area. I met Mangas as I inspected my first city. It turns out that the french in Brazil have mostly explored south america, so I won't get as much treasure as I was expecting. Oh well, sent 100 gold to Mangas as a diplomatic gift so that he doesnt attack my exposed colonies in latin america while my conquistador travels around modern day columbia.

Financially, I am doing fine. I have 500 gold, but I shipping over two boat loads of raw materials, including 50 silver, to spain. I am expecting large dividends to pay for another missionary, some soldiers and cannon, and maybe another caravel. After that I need to definately get some tools so I can begin to build a road connecting my empire in latin america and eventually in south america.

I get a decent map of the surrounding are. Here it is.

In the next post, I will begin a war with mangas to capture cities in columbia and venezuela. Viva la Espania!

(PS, does anyone know how to put pictures in those tags that you open up)

I just wanted to say sorry for not finishing the story. My computer had a virus and it wiped out everything on my computer, and I was stupid enough to not back up the information. Sry, maybe I'll start a new story later.

Please do so, there are not enough stories of colonization yet!
Sorry about your computer, probably mexican flu, because of your war plans in that region!

When I found your interesting post with good instruction about games steps and it was easy to understand the way we were thinking.

Top Bottom