1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Special Circumstance Civs

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rhye's and Fall of Civilization' started by Drtad, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Drtad

Drtad It Stinks!!!

I have an idea. How about civs that only spawn when certain conditions are met? For example: If Rome loses the city of Rome and is in control of Constantinople at the time of this loss, then the remainder of the Roman Empire, turns into the Byzantine Empire, with a new leader, capital at Constantinople, UU, UB, UV, and UP. The biggest problem I see here is the number of art files needed. Maybe the leaders could be 2D instead of 3D?

2. TheGreatOne

TheGreatOne Chieftain

Great idea! Ive always wanted this implemented in this game.

3. Watiggi

Watiggi Chieftain

Maybe a simplified version could be made at first that wouldn't need artwork: If a certain something occurs, then a civilization comes into existance. For instance, ... <nothing comes to mind :(>

But something that where if civ A is conquered, then make civ B come into existance earlier than they normally would.

Ahh, For instance: America comes into existance at the normal time OR when England, France, etc settlers America. If Rome is crushed, the Celts are born; if Persia is crused, Arabia is born, etc.

4. captain beaver

captain beaver Civ 3 addict

It would be a great idea, but could we first have a confirmation from a modder/coder if it is actually possible to recycle unused civ slots? There is no point in discussing something which is impossible otherwise.
    Also, in most cases, revolution can simulate this effect (example : Persia falls and comes back as Sassanid/Khwarzim) although names/UU/UP/UHV are not changed.

5. Drtad

Drtad It Stinks!!!

Jdog has recycled civ slots in his Revolution mod, I don't see how it wouldn't work code-wise. But truly I wouldn't know as I am not a code buff, all I can merely do is XML.

6. Watiggi

Watiggi Chieftain

Thaaatt's never stopped me before :mischief:

7. kairob

kairob Biohazard

I have suggested something similar and think it is a very good idea (e.g. if rome does not exist in yeah X, italy spawns) is that the kind of thing you were thinking?

8. Zetetic Apparat

Zetetic Apparat Chieftain

Doesn't the renaissance of Civs as it already exists do this? Maybe different names for respawns at different times would be nice though.

9. thenooblet22

thenooblet22 Chieftain

I think it's too complicated. First off, Byzantium was a broken portion of the Roman Empire, so it wouldn't make sense for them just to suddenly spawn. Secondly, the Roman empire never reaches its true potential in any of my games. Finally, Greece usually doesn't collapse. If anyhing, if you could use your imaginations, Greece is the Byzantine Empire; since the Byzantines adopted the Hellenistic culture for their own. Also, I don't see any other examples of civilizations which this would work with. Aztecs if Mayans dissolve? Timurs if Abassid collapse? Too complicated if you ask me.

10. McA123

McA123 Chieftain

This discussion reminds me very much of RTW Barbarian Invasion. I liked the system but my only problem was that you couldn't play as the new emerging civs... So if this is put in, they should be playable...otherwise it'd just be a ton of work for a bit of flavour. And that's if this is even possible, which I have to doubt.

11. Tboy

Tboy Future world ruler

I like the American idea. Spawns in 1733AD, or when at least 5 european cities are founded in North America. Of course, this would mean that the Americans might have to be toned down... hmm... *starts thinking hard*

12. Phallus

Phallus Freudian Slip

To be honest I prefer the standard 1733 spawning because the '5 city' requirement simply isn't accurate. I love the concept of dymanic civ founding though.

13. kairob

kairob Biohazard

I like the concept of dynamic founding, but like Phallus I dont think it works well for america.

14. TheGreatOne

TheGreatOne Chieftain

new civs could spawn off of civic changes like the American civil war.

15. Drtad

Drtad It Stinks!!!

I merely stated that for some, not all situations, a new civ can spawn, but only if the requirments are met. Like the Byzantine example I gave above. And about imagination, I'd rather not, imagining gives me a headache. Besides, it could just be a rename and not a total new spawn anyway.

16. Watiggi

Watiggi Chieftain

How on earth did you guys go from whatever population you were in 1733 to 250+million population where Australia was settled in 1788 and has only 20+milllion. What? Did you guys just bonk like bunny rabits or something...? (We have immigration too).

Anyway, that one has allways stumped me for a very long time. Sorry... off topic.

17. Elhoim

Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Dev

Well, the US was the country were most inmigrants went.

18. Watiggi

Watiggi Chieftain

most? To go from well, what ever the population was to start with to 250 million... well, how much of America is American? Immigration only goes so far, where did the rest come from?

19. kairob

kairob Biohazard

They are all immagrants with the exception of native america.

20. Morholt

Morholt Chieftain

It isn't strange that people prefer to go to a lush fertile land across the Atlantic rather than a big desert with some coastline on the other side of the globe. It is no coincidence that Australia used to be a penal colony, y'know.