Speculation for Southeast Asian civs in Civ6

Which Southeast Asian civ will be in Civ6 vanilla?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Guandao

Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka
This is a thread for discussing whether there will be any Southeast Asian civs in the vanilla Civ6.

For Civ4, the Khmers were the first Southeast Asian civ represented in the Civilization franchise

In Civ5 vanilla, they were replaced by Siam
With Brave New World, came Indonesia

Will any Southeast Asian civ make it this time in Civ6 vanilla?

I'm guessing we'll see Burma or Vietnam, since Beach is clearly angling for new things. Of the two, I would prefer Burma, if only because it's less likely to have a modern leader.

I'm all about Empires and Imperial powers so I would like to see Burma who had three Empires over a millennium and one of which the largest in this region's history.

If there's only 1 slot, I think it'll be Burma this time.

I'm actually also hoping for Srivijaya somewhere in the series, because:
- It's a trade and exploration-oriented civilization
- It is a Malay civilization with Malay culture...so technically it's more Malaysian (and Singaporean, perhaps Bruneian too) rather than Indonesian despite having capitals is there.
- Malay and Thai are the two culture most commonly thought when associated with SEA
- Indonesia in Civ5 is disappointingly a pure Javanese civilization masked with modern name and city list.
- With this, I'm also hoping for Chola as Indian civ rather than.... *drumroll* Gandhi :"
I voted for Burma btw

I voted for Cambodia but it's probably not going to happen.

Why? Cause it was in Civ4? or because of the association with the Khmer Rouge?

I have chosen Siam as the magnanimous Mongkut would seem like an ideal leader.

I don't get the appeal for Vietnam. Actually now I think about it I would be surprised if it is in. They've gone for more classical civilizations and leaders. I think Khmer, Siam and Burma suit the look and feel of Civlization games and in particular Civlization VI.

I think Vietnam was under Chinese control for far too long and whilst it has had a colorful last century I don't see it as a very unique, distinct Southeast Asian ancient civilization like the other three.

Why? Cause it was in Civ4? or because of the association with the Khmer Rouge?

Because they were in Civ4, yes. Ed Beach said we were going to have one or two never-seen-before civs for Civ6, and one of them is bound to be SE-Asian.

Perhaps for a future expansion.

I'd like to see Burma this time (now known as Myanmar).

Though I would also be happy with Vietnam, preferably under the Trung Sisters; or the Khmer.

It's got to be Siam/Thailand. Vietnam and perhaps Khmers added in the expansions.

I'd like to see Burma this time (now known as Myanmar).

Though I would also be happy with Vietnam, preferably under the Trung Sisters; or the Khmer.

Burma would be cool! I did suggest that country once, although do not know much about their history, isn't its main religion is Buddhism?

Buddhism has been the main religion in Burma since early history. Burma has a very interesting history, from the Pyu city-states to the Pagan Kingdom and to the great Taungoo Empire, which conquered most of Southeast Asia under Bayinnaung, creating an empire larger than the Khmer Empire at its height. Burma also has a lot of wonderful architecture.

Buddhism has been the main religion in Burma since early history. Burma has a very interesting history, from the Pyu city-states to the Pagan Kingdom and to the great Taungoo Empire, which conquered most of Southeast Asia under Bayinnaung, creating an empire larger than the Khmer Empire at its height. Burma also has a lot of wonderful architecture.

I think Burma is a great choice for Civ6.

I was always lukewarm on Vietnam in the past but I've seen quite a few appealing ideas tossed around by other forum goers. Out of that list I think they're the ones that pop out the most to me.

Lan Xang would be fun. A regional power for a long time, and IMO a criminally under recognized kingdom.

I would love to see Bayinnaung and Burma in the game. He could be an Empire builder but with emphasis on closer to home and integration of other cultures into the empire. With a focus on architecture and how things look in the game, Burmese architecture would look so great in the game.

I'd like to see Vietnam as something different. Pagan (Burma) is also different, but I just feel there would be something fun with Vietnam. I'd still like Trung Trac as the leader (since I don't expect two leaders). She would look even cooler in Civ5 art format since she'd likely be riding an Elephant, though. But you could go with their entire history, including Water Puppet Theaters as a building and the Viet Minh as a unique unit (I'd pick them over the VC since it's slightly less controversial and more unifying for the country, although they're not dramatically different).

Would Ho Chi Minh be a feasible leader for Vietnam?
Could have a great anti-colonialist agenda in Civ6.
"Dislikes it when civilizations of other continents settle or occupy cities on his own continent." or something similar.

Top Bottom