**Spoiler** Behind the Scenes of the Civ3 PBEM

This in from Chamnix...

I completed Pottery and set research to Writing next. My barracks
build in Chamthage was changed to a granary. My popped settler is almost
back to the wheat where he will build my second city.

I haven't had a chance to post the turn 20 update because I haven't had time to go in and take screenshots, and they are moving kind of fast - so I may just wait until turn 30.

However, I'll post the text updates that were sent to me:

From Chamnix:Turn 19, I popped a warrior from a hut.

As of turn 20, I have:

2 towns covering 31 tiles (1st in land area)
4 citizens (1st in population with 33%)
1 worker
1 scout
1 conscript warrior

Currently building:

1 granary (nearly complete)
1 worker

I know Bronze, Masonry, Alphabet, Pottery, and Ceremonial Burial, and I'm
researching Writing.

Also from Chamnix, a few days later:
Turn 26 - my conscript warrior has come across greekguy's scout. I am up
Alphabet and Ceremonial Burial and apparently down nothing. I have 5
citizens - it appears he only has 3 (all in his capital).

From Calis on turn 20:
A few words about my plans in this game:

First of all I hope to have some iron not too far away to build my Gallic Swords. Secondly after completing the granary in Entremont it's going to be my settler factory. and this last turn I found two sources of ivory, which is letting me think to make a warmonger game, if
everything works out.

In an ideal world I will have an army of Gallic Swords and some Ancient Cav with the same stats but one more hit. Let's wait and see...

I am first in GNP and third in population, but I hope that I will be able to change the latter one, once my settler factory is established.

I have not, and probably will not, have the time to update this thread as frequently as it needs to be (they are on turn 40 already!).

Is anyone interested in helping administer the thread?

From Chamnix:

denyd and I became quite the techs traders and flew through the Ancient Age leaving Calis and greekguy in the dust. We cooperated on the Republic slingshot - IIRC, I did Code of Laws and gave it to him so that when he completed Philosophy he would give me that and Republic.

Peaceful expansion has been the order of the day so far, but denyd has accumulated a massive lead, thanks in part to the agricultural trait and his early settler. He has 41% of the world population to my 28%.

Denyd thought we were better off expanding peacefully and maintaining our tech lead, but I have encouraged him to prepare to attack Calis before Calis has pikes. Once denyd agreed that he should attack Calis, I notified Calis of denyd's intentions and suggested he build up his military ASAP.

Greekguy and Calis have been working together as well. If denyd attacks Calis, then greekguy will use a Right of Passage through my land to open a second front against denyd. I can't join in the war myself because I have a 40 turn luxury deal agreed to with denyd.

Right now the plan is to hope for maximum carnage, then clean up the remnants later...

Okay, I'll remember not to sign to many deals with Chamnix in the other pbem :p

Greekguy:
Here's my 1000 BC spoiler:

So far the game is going decently from my side. I originally planned on a peaceful Ancient Age, but circumstances have forced me to soon go to war. Those circumstances first made themselves known when Calis approached and informed me of a seemingly strong tech alliance between Chamnix and denyd. Between the powerful Iroquois of denyd and Chamnix's obviously strong civ skills, Calis and I decided to strike. Since I was closer, I prepared to send troops down towards Cham's Carthage empire, which would've been mostly undefended, due to his penchant for workers. However, these plans had to be aborted after he built the Statue of Zeus, which was shortly followed by the news that denyd was planning on attacking Calis. Thus, the troops intended to destroy Chamnix are now headed towards denyd, via a Right of Passage with Cham, to allow speedy movement. So, if denyd attacks Calis' Celts, he'll be blindsided by my forces.

Also, as it stands, Calis and I are strong allies, and about to reach the Middle Ages (both Chamnix and denyd already traded their way there). Domestically, I'm in a period of expansion, after building troops for the war with Chamnix that never came. I have hopes for a bright future, even though I'm last place in score at the moment. Anyway, I'll leave y'all with a picture of my empire to give you guys an idea of how I'm doing visually:

Denyd has built this:

Jeez! Put some pants on that thing! :mischief:

denyd said:
First the good news, the Iroquois Nation completed the Pyramids initiating our Golden Age. Production on infrastructure is progressing nicely with aqueducts, marketplaces & libraries springing up across the nation. I’ve just settled my 30th city and have four more settlers plodding around the world. Helicon is producing 43spt (after corruption) and should have Sun Tzu done in about 14 more turns and will then turn attention to Leo’s. Research is also doing well with the GA commerce boost and I will get Gunpowder in 3 turns (5 turn pace). I’m hoping to find Saltpeter either in my northern desert or one of the local mountains. If not I’ll shift paths to get Chivalry (for Knights) as soon as possible (probably in 8-10 turns if I need to research Monotheism myself). I’ve got a pre-build for Knights Templar going just in case that’s the way things turn.

Now the bad news, I’m beginning to feel that war is inevitable and I’m in a bad spot with the Celts to the north and Carthage to the west. I had hoped to play peacefully (with a strong military as a deterrent to war) and eventually launch a spaceship. The tone of Chamnix’s communications however has changed and it’s beginning to look like he’s allying with the other tribes to go after the big boy (me). My initial attempts to acquire Monotheism have been rebuffed by all. I’ve made a new offer to China in hopes of acquiring the tech soon and hope that’ll work. I do have a 20 turn non-aggression pact with the Celts that I hope to renew. I will keep my word to Calis and will not strike the first blow if war is necessary. If Chamnix would sign the same, I’d feel a lot better, but so far he has ignored my offer of a non-aggression pact. It looks like Cato the Elder might have been right (‘Delenda est Carthago’).

Addendum to Update 3:

It’s now 450 BC and I’m up to 35 cities with 6 settlers on the move looking to homes. I’ll probably curb expansion at about 50 unless other prime spots show up. I’ve settled the NE island and have settlers heading for the coast SW of China and NW of Carthage. They’ll hopefully be able to secure gems for me. I have several sources of SP, though none were connected. I’m also hoping to claim at least two more SP sources as I currently have a monopoly on the knowledge of where it is. Everyone else has yet to acquire Engineering, so I’m up at least Invention & Gunpowder and soon I’ll add Chemistry to that list. I’m a bit confused as to what China is attempting as he’s stationed 3 obsolete units (1 Warrior & 2 Archers) on my NW border. I’ve got an agreed upon border with Chamnix, so I don’t know what he’s accomplishing. He is preventing a settler from reaching the final location I’d planned in that area, but I’ll work around the blockade. I’ll probably get a better feel for my long term relations with Chamnix soon as our dyes for furs deal will expire in two turns. I’ll be happy to renew it, so let’s see if he’ll agree to a lux for lux deal. As of now, I’m sticking to the infrastructure build, though when each core city completes the set (market, aqueduct, harbor & library), they start adding units again.

Just a quick explanation to those wondering why I built the Mausoleum in Arcturus, as my original plan had been to build the Great Wall. During some lunch time surfing I came across an Diety SG where the players were at war with Russia, the owner of the Great Wall and were attacking with Knights, MDI & Trebuchet as they did not know Gunpowder yet. During one players turn-set he noted that St Petersburg (a size 4 town) no longer had walls, so they determined that Russia had discovered Metallurgy. I understood that the GW expired for each tribe as they reached Metallurgy, but I was wrong. It really expires when the owner reaches Metallurgy. Since I’ll have Metallurgy within the next 10 turns, the Great Wall will be gone before it can be of use. There are no other wonders that make sense to switch to (I’d like Knights Templar and Hanging Gardens, but I don’t have the tech’s yet) and the rest (Oracle and Temple of Artemis & Great Library) were either too expensive, will expire too soon or useless. Any other build would be a big waste of shields and at least someday the Mausoleum will have tourists.

Just one final thought and a scary one for me, it could be that the other tribes were aiming for Feudalism and to be followed my mass upgrades of horses to knights. Then attack me on two fronts. I’ve got a couple of stacks of MW ready to repel any invaders, but having to handle attacks at opposite sides of the Iroquois Republic might be a bit much. So far I’m strong against all and as long as that holds I should be ok.

Update .

Chamnix built this:

Chamnix:

It’s been a while since an update, but things may be heating up soon…

Denyd has dominated the game so far. He has done a great job parlaying his agricultural trait and early popped settler into a huge advantage. We are on turn 122, and the power curve tells the story:

He also has 39% of the world’s population with me at only 27%. I tried to talk denyd into making an early attack on Calis, but he didn’t bite, so now I am planning to take matters into my own hands. I turned off research early in the Middle Ages after researching Monotheism, traded for both Engineering and Feudalism and just bought Chivalry from Calis. I accumulated over 7000 gold while building mostly horsemen (except I had some 20 spt cities building MDI) after markets and aqueducts (where necessary).

At the beginning of turn 122, this was my military:

As I had been planning, I upgraded 19 horses to knights (the 20th horse is exploring and can’t get to a barracks). Unfortunately, I didn’t plan still to be average to denyd, but I am :(. Nonetheless, denyd’s Golden Age has just ended, and I may be able to start mine with a Numidian Merc victory. I don’t think denyd’s advantage will get any smaller, so I plan to attack within a couple turns.

Here is the primary battlefront:

I plan to establish an embassy and investigate several towns since I still have over 5000 gold. I’m hoping to break through Rigel and Mustafar, and with any luck, Orion, Kashykk, and Andromeda will be lightly defended (or undefended) so I can make an immediate push toward denyd’s war weariness. I can also try for Ruusan, and on the western front, Malastare.

Denyd and I are currently trading luxuries – my people will still be content without a luxury from him, but hopefully he will miss mine. The ongoing plan is to start my Golden Age and rush knights like there’s no tomorrow because if this doesn’t succeed, there may not be :sad:.

Dear Friends,

You may hear a rumor that the first great Carthaginian-Iroquois war has begun, and I cannot deny that it is true. My generals have been pressuring me to make a preemptive strike for some time to prevent the Iroquois from getting any further ahead saying that it would save many lives in the long run, and I have regretfully obliged.

Although the initial reports from the front line were positive, I am still painfully aware that his military is at least as strong as mine, plus he has a technological edge, many more citizens, a much stronger economy, and far more production capability that I have, and I expect the counterattack to be brutal.

I recognize that neither of you may be ready to assist me against this Goliath, but I would ask a smaller favor of each of you. If you could, please cancel any peace treaties you have with the Iroquois as soon as you are honorably able to and refrain from signing any new peace treaties. I can assure you that denyd will not be declaring was on either of you anytime soon, so you have nothing to gain from a treaty with him, and if he has to keep even a few units guarding his other flank, it will go a long way toward leveling our battlefield.

Many thanks,

Chamnix

From Chamnix, to Calis & Greekguy

To: denyd
Subject: RE: SABER PBEM 3

I too am very sorry it has come to this, but I'm afraid their is no way I can permit you to reenter my new acquisitions. In every city my troops entered, they were greeted with wild cheering as welcome liberators. The residents of these towns have already learned the wisdom of worshipping Artemis and have sworn never to return to their former oppressor.

Chamnix

> Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 08:53:00 -0800
> From: deny_derosier@yahoo.com
> Subject: Re: SABER PBEM 3
> To: chamnix@hotmail.com
>
> Chamnix, Leader of the Carthaginian Nation,
>
> I'm very sorry to hear that you felt forced to resort
> to violence as I would have been happy to supply you
> with both the gems & dyes if you had just asked for
> them. If you remove your troops from my nation and
> allow me to recapture my cities, I will forgive this
> transgression.
>
> I will be sending orders to my troops later today and
> hope that your response is received before they have
> time to carry them out.
>
> DenyD
>
> --- Chamnix - <chamnix@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >
> > Dear denyd of the Iroquois,
> >
> > For centuries our people have been friends, but in
> > recent times that friendship has come under strain.
> > First, after my people had grown dependent on the
> > fine Iroquois dyes, the supply was turned off.
> > Second, your city of Mustafar was so close to my
> > town of Malaca that the citizens there felt cramped,
> > and they couldn&#8217;t reach their full potential. The
> > final insult came when I had been promising the
> > womenfolk sparkly shiny things to pacify them. As
> > my settlers reached their intended destination, we
> > found that you had squatted on the finest gems in
> > the land.
> >
> > My people have demanded action, and I have been
> > forced to oblige. I have declared war. Following
> > are the reports my generals have sent back from the
> > front lines:
> >
> > At Mustafar &#8211;
> >
> > Trebbie knocks 4/4 pike to ¾.
> > 4/4 MDI vs. ¾ pike -> ¼ pike.
> > 4/4 MDI vs. ¼ pike ->2/5 pike.
> > 4/4 MDI vs. 2/5 pike ->4/4 MDI and Mustafar is
> > captured.
> >
> > 5/5 Ancient Cavalry captures worker S of Mustafar
> > and then captures the unguarded city of Kashykk.
> >
> > 5/5 Ancient Cavalry captures the unguarded city of
> > Andromeda.
> >
> > At Ruusan &#8211;
> >
> > 5/5 Ancient Cavalry vs. 4/4 Mounted Warrior ->4/6
> > Ancient Cavalry and Ruusan is captured.
> >
> > At Malastare &#8211; 5/5 Ancient Cavalry vs. 4/4 Mounted
> > Warrior ->4/5 Ancient Cavalry & Malastare is
> > autorazed.
> >
> > 4/4 horseman captures worker near the former
> > Malastare.
> >
> > Chamnix
> >

The battle log, looks like denyd is winning this war, but that might be an understatement:
> All attackers are Veteran Cavalry
>
> Rigel Defense:
> Butch (4/4) vs AC (5/5) -> Butch (2/4)
> Typhoon (4/4) vs AC (5/5) -> AC (2/5)
> Cody (4/4) vs AC (5/5) - Cody (1/4)
> Apocalypse (4/4) vs AC (5/5) -> Apocalypse (3/4)
> Death (4/4) vs AC (5/5) -> Death (3/4)
> Earthquake (4/4) vs AC (2/5) -> Earthquake (3/5)
>
> Battle for Andromeda:
> Famine (4/4) vs Knight (4/4) -> Famine (1/4)
> Hurricane (4/4) vs Knight (4/4) -> Hurricane (4/4)
> Wildfire (4/4) vs Knight (4/4) -> Knight (4/4)
> Tornado (4/4) vs Knight (4/4) -> Tornado (3/4)
> War (4/4) vs Knight (4/4) -> War (3/4)
> Plague (4/4) vs Knight (4/4) -> Knight (2/4)
> Apollo (4/4) vs Knight (4/4) -> Apollo (3/5)
> Ares (4/4) vs Knight (4/4) -> Ares (2/4)
> Artemis (4/4) vs Knight (4/4) -> Artemis (3/5)
> Athena (4/4) vs Knight (4/4) -> Athena (4/4)
> Hermes (4/4) vs Knight (4/4) -> Hermes (1/4)
> Jupiter (4/4) vs Knight (4/4) -> Jupiter (3/4)
> Mars (4/4) vs Knight (4/4) -> Knight (4/4)
> Mercury (4/4) vs Knight (4/4) -> Mercury (2/4)
> Xena (4/4) vs Knight (4/4) -> Xena (2/4)
> Zeus (4/4) vs Knight (4/4) -> Zeus (1/4)

From Chamnix, to Calis & Greekguy

Dear Friends,

It appears I made a grievous error in judgment in attacking denyd - he already has cavalry and lots of them. I haven't seen the save obviously, but based on the battle log, my primary stacks have been devastated, and I anticipate a full-scale retreat to a better defensive posture. I will fight as long as I can, but I fear the situation is hopeless, and I hope you two can get ready quickly - once denyd has annexed my land, I suspect the game will be hopeless for you.

I'm very sorry to have put you in this predicament, but I will do my best to damage denyd as much as possible. In the meantime, could one of you possibly provide me with Invention and Gunpowder? Defense 3 units will not cut it against cavalry. I will gladly pay you later if there is such a time for me...

Chamnix

Hey greekguy,

I'm wondering if you might be willing to help me get out of this grave I've dug for myself. As I'm sure you have seen, there is a 2-tile choke point SW and S of my city of Caliz. Do you think you might be able to move your units to those 2 tiles on the turn after next? Either denyd would have to give you war happiness (very good for you), or denyd will not attack you, and he will have to take a different route to my cities - one with much more favorable terrain for me so I can cause a lot more damage.

I don't want you to do this on your next turn - I would like to evacuate the city of Caliz and send my units through that pass before I abandon the city, but if you could let me know if you would do this for me on the turn after next, I would be able to plan my defenses better.

Thanks again.

Chamnix
From Chamnix, to greekguy

Spoiler battlelog :
Turn 125 Battle Log:

NE of Andromeda -

4/4 knight vs. 4/4 cav -> ¾ cav.

4/4 knight vs. 4/4 cav -> 2/4 cav.

4/4 knight vs. ¾ cav -> 2/4 knight.

4/4 knight vs. ¾ cav -> ¼ cav.

4/4 knight vs. ¾ cav -> 4/4 knight.

4/4 knight vs. ¾ cav -> 4/4 knight.

5/5 AC vs. 3/5 cav -> 2/5 AC.

5/5 AC vs. 3/5 cav -> 1/5 cav.

¾ knight vs. 2/4 cav -> ¼ knight.

2/4 knight captures undefended town of Sirius.

Chamnix

Thanks Calis.

I know you warned me you couldn't participate with military, and I don't expect you to. I really appreciate the offer of techs for IOUs, but after more sober reflection of my position and my cities' shield capabilities, I think I am better off keeping the ability to build 30-shields numidian mercs instead of 60-shield muskets so I won't be requiring any techs right now.

There may come a time when I would like to buy techs from you, but I will wait until I have spare change that doesn't need to be spent on military.

Chamnix

> From: Calis
> To: greekguy
> CC: chamnix
> Subject: SABER Civ3 PBEM
>
> I gifted Chivalry to you greekguy...
>
> As soon as you give me Invention I will research Gunpowder...should be 4 turns. Then I will be able to gift it to Chamnix...
>
> @Chamnix: I saw you now have a extra furs. If you wan to give them to me I would accept it as payment for Gunpowder...
>
> I am sorry but militarywise I cannot do anythin right now...
>
> regards,
>
> Calis
>

And:

You are truly a lifesaver greekguy. Hopefully I will get the opportunity to repay you before the game is over. I meant to send you a free gift of some fine furs for your help, but with all the goings-on down here, I forgot - I'll send them next turn.

Regarding techs, I very much appreciate the gift of Invention, but after more sober reflection, I turned it down. Considering my current situation and my cities' production capabilities, I think I am better off being able to build more cheap units instead of expensive ones. Hopefully there will come a point in this game where I will want to buy techs from you, but not until I have spare change that doesn't have to be spent on military.

Regarding your units in my territory - denyd killed a lot of my Ancient Cavalry near there last turn, so I expected him to be at the gates of Caliz this turn. Apparently he decided to retreat to heal a bit, so I will be keeping Caliz at least one more turn. Please keep your units right where they are next turn.

By all means, please take denyd for all you can techwise, but be careful what you promise. If you offer neutrality, then he might claim by you standing in his way, you violated neutrality. If you agree to peace, then there will be nothing he can do without breaking your deal himself.

Again, thanks much for all your help, and I will try to bring denyd down as much as I can.

Chamnix

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 17:32:36 -0500
To: chamnix
Subject: Re: SABER PBEM 3

Chamnix,

Won't be a problem. I'm happy to help out, and either way (if denyd attacks my guys) its a win-win for me..But I'd prefer he didn't, seeing as it would open up that choke point to his troops.

Also, denyd approached both Calis and I with offers for neutrality, quickly followed by another email asking for a military alliance. I decided to play around with him: I asked to reach tech parity with him, and in exchange, I'd stay neutral. I don't expect him to agree to this, but if he does, I have no problem screwing him over, since I don't want to help him win this war.

greekguy

I’m working the diplomatic angle hard. I sent one message to Calis and another to greekguy (with copies of both to you). Despite my best Chicken Little imitation for the benefit of Calis and greekguy, as long as that northern pass stays closed, my position is really quite defendable. Malaca is on a hill and will have walls – even a defense 3 unit will be favored against cavalry. With a cultural expansion and nothing but flatland in front of it, it will be very costly for denyd to break through there. I also think I owe denyd a thank you note for posting our battle log, so the others could see how he was killing me :lol:.

Open the save, and I’m not even as badly off as I thought. Greekguy offered me Invention with accept, but I turn it down (see next paragraph…). This turn I completed 4 knights and a trebuchet, and I am thrilled to see that even after all the carnage last turn, I am still average to denyd (and strong compared to the other 2).

Regarding techs, partly I think I would rather build 2 NMs than 1 musket as I told Calis and greekguy. I also think denyd told me I have saltpeter in the desert near Caliz – since I’m not sure I can hold that area, there isn’t much point of me getting Gunpowder right now. Most importantly, I don’t want to be in anyone’s debt at this point – if somebody gave me techs, then I would feel obliged to repay them after the war. Instead, I think I will try to build the Great Library and get all the techs for free.

Back to the save – here is the opening position:

I have 6 knights and an ancient cavalry in Andromeda. Mustafar has a knight, a numidian merc, a trebuchet, and 14 MDI. On the northern front, Caliz has just a knight, a numidian merc, and a trebuchet.

Before I saw the save, I was thinking I would abandon Ruusan and Caliz and evacuate the units in Caliz to behind the choke point. However, the way things are now, no cavalry can reach Caliz next turn, so there is no need to abandon it.

On the southern front, I thought I would abandon Andromeda, evacuate the units to Mustafar, and sacrifice 1 unit to pillage the road SE of Andromeda. With that road pillaged and Andromeda in ruins, none of denyd’s cavalry could reach Mustafar or Kashykk. Now I’m thinking I should be able to keep Andromeda for another turn or 2 at least and even consider attacking denyd’s stack. I might be able to put walls in Andromeda and make that the front line (although it is unfortunately still in resistance so I can’t rush them this turn).

My goals for the war – capture denyd’s western cities preventing him from establishing a foothold there and denying him gems. Secondly, look for a good kill ratio in the southeastern front, possibly by retreating to Malaca for the hill. Third, by my count, denyd has suffered significant war weariness. I’m not convinced war weariness works exactly the same way in multiplayer, but if it does, then I count 104 war weariness points accumulated for him already before this turn. Even after the minus 30 I gave him by declaring, that hopefully is enough to push him to 50% war weariness. So far my people are suffering no ill effects (even though I count 32 WW points for me), so as long as I am not losing the war, I will keep this going as long as possible. I’m mainly worried about an amphibious landing to the west since all my troops are east, but I will try to get a small contingent over there. Of course I would love to capture Smyrno also, but I think that’s unrealistic – a few muskets in a size 8 city would take too many knights.

If I attack denyd’s cavalry stack with everything I’ve got (6 4/4 knights, 2 5/5 AC, 1 ¾ knight, 1 2/4 knight, and 3 4/4 nm) Offa’s town capture simulator says I can expect to win 7.7 and lose 5.3 – not great, but it is in my favor, and I really don’t want all those injured cavalry to escape.

Now that my original plan of retreat and abandon no longer looks necessary, I think I’ll sleep on this and decide what to do in the morning…

I’m back - I decide it would be foolish not to attack denyd’s stack with my healthy knights. My odds are better on attack than defense – the first 2 against healthy cavs should be coin flips, and then for the next 4 I will be favored. Other thoughts include pillaging the road SE of Andromeda (I will want that road gone if I have to abandon Andromeda, but if I wait until I am abandoning that town, then the unit I use will be lost – if I do it now, then the unit can get back to safety). Also think about pillaging the roads west and southwest of Smyrno to slow down denyd’s cavalry, but it’s probably too early to suicide units that way.

My knights go 3 wins, 3 losses. Combat calculator says I have a 63% chance of killing a 3 hp cav with a 5 hp AC, so I attack with both of them – win one, lose one. There is now a 2/4 cav on top – my ¾ knight is 68% to win – he wins.

Denyd’s stack now has 3 2/4 cavs, and 5 redlined cavs. I have a 2/4 knight, and 3 4/4 NMs. My knight is a coin flip, and the NMs are more likely to lose than win plus the cavs could retreat, so that is all the attacking I’ll do unfortunately. I decide to use my 2/4 knight to pillage the SE road now so it won’t cost me a unit later, but instead he sees this:

A city is definitely worth a knight, so he marches in and razes it – I get 1 slave out of it, but I disband him since I doubt I can save him, and I don’t want any extra war weariness.

Defend Andromeda – it now has 1 trebuchet, 4 knights and an AC of varying health, plus healthy units consisting of 4 NMs and 14 MDI.

I evacuate my AC from Ruusan and abandon that town since it is impossible to hold. I keep Caliz for now since denyd can’t reach it. A trebbie in Caliz attempts to pillage my improvements E of Caliz – I’m still expecting to abandon that town, so I want those roads gone. It hits. I realize I should have used a knight to pillage a second road, but I already hit space for him.

I move 3 workers to the grass 2 SW of Caliz – they will build a fortress and barricades in case greekguy’s blockade fails.

I continue short-rushing as many knights and trebuchets as I can. I will try to find some places to work NMs in, so my expensive knights won’t have to defend. I also rush a worker in Mustafar – I’m not sure how long I’ll have that city, so I want to get as many slaves out quickly as possible.

Pictures at the end of turn before sending it to denyd:

Chamnix

From Chamnix to Greekguy:
Thanks a lot for your help - right now you are good where you are. Unless he moves toward my city, you can just stay there.

Thanks again.

Chamnix

And from Chamnix to Denyd (denyd's original letter below)

Denyd,

While I appreciate your gracious gesture, I am afraid that I have a different perspective on our little border tiff. I agree that any assualt by either of us in my eastern theater (your western border, I suppose) will be extremely bloody. I suspect the odds heavily weighted in your favor quoted below neglected to take into account things like walls and defensive bombardment. After those adjustments, I don't think your odds will be anywhere near that good. When you consider that I will often be losing 30-shield units compared to your 80-shielders, and I will be in a Golden Age, I am confident that you will take very much the worse of the damage.

I do have to admit that this war has not been exactly as I hoped. However, too much blood has already been shed to walk away empty-handed. The cities that my people have emancipated are mine to keep. Once you acknowledge that, then we can discuss the remainder of the peace terms.

Please keep in mind that I don't have a lot of buildings to erect during my Golden Age - if it starts then I will be forced to build almost exclusively units, and to keep my costs under control, I will have to use them. Please consider the current situation carefully for once my Golden Age begins, there can be no turning back.

Chamnix

> Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 12:32:56 -0800
> From: denyd
> Subject: An olive branch
> To: chamnix
>
> Chamnix, Leader of the Carthage:
>
> As I gazed into my crystal ball last night before
> settling into bed, I was able to forecast the upcoming
> turns, though the exact results were still a bit
> foggy. There were three possible outcomes:
>
> The first is that I&#8217;ll attack your defenders in
> Andromeda and depending on the number of defenders
> I&#8217;ll either kill a bunch of your units or take the
> city (and still kill some of your units). According to
> the combat calculator my Cavalry against your NM, I
> will win nearly 70% of the time with a 15% chance of
> withdrawal and against MDI the odds are 84% & 9% with
> 7% withdraw. Even against knights the odds are 81% to
> 19%). If I fail to take the city (or even I do)
> you&#8217;ll then counterattack and kill a bunch of my
> cavalry. Then we&#8217;ll both pause to reinforce & heal and
> then do it all over again. You&#8217;re either building 30sh
> horses & spending 120g to upgrade them to Knights or
> building the Knights outright for 70sh. While nearly
> all of my Cavalry are 30sh Mounted Warriors with 75g
> upgrades. In either case, that&#8217;s a lot of gold &
> shields wasted.
>
> The second outcome was that your units move to attack
> my cities and then the battle gets even bloodier for
> you as your units are no longer in cities or
> fortified, and again we&#8217;re both spending a lot of
> resources with no positive results, with only the
> Celts & China profiting. As war weariness continues to
> increase we&#8217;ll both need to spend more & more gold to
> pacify our populace (another waste of a valuable
> resource).
>
> The third option is the only one where we both
> benefit. That is peace. You currently hold three of my
> cities (Andromeda, Kashykk & Mustafar) and I want them
> back. I will replace the three cities you razed, so
> that will be forgotten. I want your troops to return
> to your own lands. You stated in your declaration that
> you wished to have fine Iroquois Dyes and a luxury
> trade of dyes & silks for furs is acceptable to me. I
> have noted that you have acquired gems also, so that
> is no longer an issue. If you still feel Mustafar is
> crowding you border, then an exchange of cities
> (Mustafar for Caliz) is also acceptable. You would
> still have Saltpeter (it&#8217;s near your new gems city).
>
> As we battle, both China & the Celts continue to
> research and expand (and add military). Already China
> has acquired Invention and the Celts have Astronomy.
> As an added incentive to end this needless war, I am
> offering Invention. (I would offer Education, but I
> don&#8217;t have it yet and even then I&#8217;m not sure you&#8217;re
> ready to see the Temple of Artemis benefits expire).
>
> As a wise member of Team SABER recently posted: &#8220;My
> (very limited) PBEM experience so far seems to be that
> if you can't kill or cripple someone fairly quickly,
> then you are better off not fighting because
> bystanders gain too much.&#8221; This war is not going to
> be quick or decisive, so let&#8217;s just end it.
>
> Hoping to return to our peaceful relations,
>
> Deny, First Speaker of the Iroquois Republic

Top Bottom