Spoiler for Single-player PBEM - China

ok - I've got my cows hooked up, off to get pigs.

I'll get my 2nd warrior in 2 turns, 3rd in 3.

Everyone else is size 2, though, which is a worry - the General is running a seafood bonus and may not have his worker yet, memphus has his worker and, I assume, BW. Ronnie still doesn't have BW, and produces workers faster, so that's not all that much of a surprise that he grew before me.

I get BW in 2 turns, too, so I'll know how screwed I am for early strategic resources - no horses. If I don't have copper, I will have to go for archery

I can confirm that I'm on a peninsula, though - I've reached the other side. No seafood resources, other than that fish, unless there is something south of my proposed wonder site.

If you don't find copper you can also try looking for Iron -- this will allow you to build units which, otherwise, require copper.

yes, I can do that.

My plans (post wheel/archery) are:

Myst->meditation/polytheism->preisthood, build oracle, take Metal Casing, rush a forge, take an engineer and bulb Machinery, then go back for the others - hopefully, the General will research alphabet and I can trade for IW. Once I get the engineer, I can try to get a great prophet for whatever religion I have.

Iron Working is more beakers as the other three combined, though, and I don't know that I would even have iron.

I don't think the general will be a problem, but Ronnie might well be. On the other hand, city raider 1 axes vs. city garrison 2 archers is 5 on 5.85. Combat 1 axemen vs. city garrson 2 archers is 5.5 on 6.6, with 2 free strikes. With walls, it's 5 on 7.35 or 5.5 on 8.1. He'll be able to get 1 axeman up to city raider II or even III with barbs, perhaps, and he might wreak havoc pillaging - on the other hand, 2 archers should be able to take down 1 axe, and that's A) 10 hammers less expensive for me, especially since I will have forges and B) gives me more promotions. So, as long as I hold the high ground (shock 1/drill 1 archers gives me a 5.1 defense, with 2 free shots, vs. axemen)

vs. chariots - well, that's 4.4 (for combat 1) on 4.5 and they aren't immune to first strikes. So, unless he researches horseback riding (which he will, eventually, but it's expensive), I should be pretty safe with archers. I have 3 hills I need to hold in the north - just north of my north city site, the gold east of that and the pigs north of the cap.

Fighting back would be tough - drill II archers vs. an axe in the open is 3 on 5, but with 3 free shots. Hopefully, we have enough room to expand and we can come to an agreement and open up trade with each other.

Stuck with the wheel - for me to get Oracle, either Memphus has to not be going for it, or I need marble, and I can't get that without the Wheel.

Some good news:

I have copper near me - it's up north west, west of where I wanted to put a city, in fact, so it's not a great site for me.

I going to make my marble site my 2nd city site - maybe I can get up to size #2 or 3 and then chop my way to oracle.

He's size 3 - has he even created a worker?

You could always settle ON the marble; it's actually a decent site IMHO, with 2 hammers in the city center. You would have to chop the Oracle in that city then, though.

true...

but I think that if Memphus is going for Oracle, he will get it before I can even start it - he's size 3 now. I almost assume he's going for it now :(

Still, going Meditation>Poly>Priesthood will have its advantages either way. It still opens up CoL, and Monarchy, and you'll probably get Poly too. Definately worth the risk, IMO.

yes, it would.

I took a look at the demographics screen, and I noticed something:

I think memphus is working 3 seafood tiles - the highest GDP is 27, and that's the only way I can come up with that - 8 for the cap, 1 for having a city, 6 for holy city, 4 espionage leaves 8. I'm guessing he's building a worker now, which he'll have in 5 turns . I don't think he has BW yet, though, which is good for me getting Oracle, cause he can't chop it. I think he has to expand before building it, so my getting it is still a good possibility.

I think Ronnie has mined a gems and is working that and that the general is working a sea food tile and is irrigating something - I'm not quite sure.

Culture points add up to GNP too IIRC. So that'd be 8 for capital, 1 for city, 5 for holy city culture, 2 (or is it 4? I can't remember) for capital culture, 4 espionage, leaving 7 or 5.

here's a question - my espionage is close enough to the general's that if after I send the save, I can see his demographics... but when I get the save, it's dipped below that threshold again.

Is this generally an ok thing to look at, or is it generally considered a bad thing? I did last turn, cause I assumed it was just a preview for what I'd see this turn, but I couldn't see his demographics this turn, and now I feel a little bad :(

Assuming I've understood how PBEM actually works, there should be no issues if you're after General_W in the turn order, since you'll have had the same amount of turns to invest EP's. If not, then I guess you're getting an advantage not normally available in single player, but I'm not sure if it's generally accepted to capitalize on that advantage - it's small enough that noone will complain, and personally I wouldn't frown upon it. :)

Memphus started it, so he's first and I'm last, since I send to him.

I think I'm seeing the results of the next turn, cause I'm last.

No, you can always see next turn's results.
I don't think this is really exploitive to be honest.

Way down south...

So.

Gold, gems, ivory, sugar, silk.

Pigs, Cows, fish, deer, corn, bananas, rice, sheep.

Marble, no horses, copper, but not nearby.

Also, the General has copper in his fat cross, which is better than IRON in his fat cross, but still kinda scary.

My southern city will be a big production city - marble, 4 hills, sheep, deer in a forest, some grass for workshops.

At size 7, it'll make 17 shields (marble quarry, 4 hills, 1 deer in tundra forest)

So... what wonders should I go for? I'll have a lot of coastal cities, so GLH is useful, which would make ToA more useful, as well. Course, no intercontinental routes. Parthenon is nice, though not available for some time.

Pyramids - even with a forge, that takes 14 turns, so is a lot. If I can get stone, it's only 9, but still.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0051.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0051.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 111
Nice city site you've got there.

Well... Memphus is now size 4.

I'm first in power (3 warriors, hahaha!!)

1st regiment is running into animals, which is a pain, cause he can't be promoted by them. Maybe I'll pull him back.

Started mysticism - monuments are useful and I don't want to start cottages yet, anyway.

Have to make some decisions soon, though, about military:

1) Iron working and hope I have that?
2) Archery and hope that super archers can protect me or I can make a trade with the general for some axemen?
3) put a city out near that copper? It will be tough to defend
4) beeline construction for elephants? There's no doubt in my mind that Ronnie will attack me for that ivory if he doesn't have any of his own :(

Top Bottom