*Spoiler1* Gotm18-Celts - Full World Map

Unfortunately, I am not going to be submitting this month, as I have just now gotten to this thread. We had a great family vacation, but it sure played havoc with my Civ schedule, as well as a bunch of repairs around the house. At least I should be in better shape for next month.

Anyway, I now have my first Middle Age tech at 30AD. I basically went expansionist early, with each of my first few cities building a settler, then a granary, then more settlers. I also went minimal research, getting Mysticism and then Polytheism and trading to keep up, more or less. The pattern continued to Monarchy in 150AD, except that several other civs traded it around about 4 turns before I got it, so I couldnt get much for it. The big trading was for Construction and Currency around 490BC, I paid gold for construction and traded it around getting several techs including currency.

As I approached Monarchy, I was cranking out warriors for a GS upgrade, and had about 800 gold saved. I originally planned on Rome, since he had been late getting iron hooked up, but then Carthage completed the Great Library, so I shifted targets. I upgraded a total of 13 warriors in 130BC, and revolted into Monarchy, then launched an all-out assault on Carthage. At 30AD, I have taken 5 of his cities, including Carthage, and the Great Library gave me Republic and Monotheism. I have been slowly pushing an expedition of archers and spearmen mountain by mountain onto the Barbarian peninsula, and the English world map showed me all the camps. I am planning on landing a second force with some GS on the southern coast to split the barbs up a bit.

Anyway, this is a cool map, and I would like to finish it out later, but there is no way I will have time to do so between now and tomorrow. I want to make sure I get caught up in enough RL stuff to get a good start on GOTM19!

The Celtic Monarchy, 30AD

Attachments

• g18_30ad_mini.jpg
    g18_30ad_mini.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 192
I really like the palace jump tactic, so I intend to use it in my future games.

I didn't know either about reversed war weariness. I don't know about this either:
Unfortunately the last three towns pop rushed to stay at size 1, so I had to wait 10 turns for a border expansion before capturing each.
Does this mean that the town won't be destroyed if it has more than 9 tiles?

It seems to me that scouting and diplomacy has been a superiour tactic in this game. Those that made a really good start bought workers (probably with techs because they were so expensive) to speed up growth and improve land faster. This is something for me to think about in future games. It will probably make me play the starts 5 times slower than usual.

Originally posted by el_kalkylus
Does this mean that the town won't be destroyed if it has more than 9 tiles?
The town won't be destroyed if it has any culture in it. 'Though I don't know what would happen if it contains a temple but hasn't expanded yet.:hmm:

I'm pretty sure that any culture prevents auto-raze. LK33 was an unlimited player shadow game. In my "alternate universe" I captured a size 1 town. Everyone else autorazed the same town. I had started attacking a little later in the round and I assume the AI built a temple that didn't have time to expand but did have time to generate culture.

Of course you'd be taking a big gamble assuming a temple was built rather than waiting to "see" the temple from the border expansion.

There may be some minimum culture required, perhaps 2 points of culture. I experimented some time ago and it seemed that it was always safe to capture a jumped capital on the third turn after it jumped, i.e. when it reached culture 2 from its Palace. But not safe two turns after the Palace jumped. I've played that way since when playing "chase the capital" to avoid auto-razing, i.e. wait for the third turn from the time of the jump.

An additional noteworthy thing about this: If a town had culture at some point from any Civ then it seems to be safe to capture it at size one. The culture doesn't have to have been built up by the town's current owners.

I think I've seen mention of a town that was captured and then captured by someone else. The someone else razed it, with the guess that it autorazed. So the second owner, not contributing any culture to it is subject to having their size 1 city razed even if it had culture when they captured it.

@ Control-freak: I'm guessing that was just co-incidental; i.e., a deliberate razing. I was once witness (on 1.29f) to a town changing hands between three different AIs about a half-dozen times in 20 or so turns. Since the town was only size 4 to start with, you can guess what size it was by the last few captures. Yet it was never autorazed.

edit: Unless that was because the town kept going back and forth between the original owner and one of the two attacking civs; that is, it never transfered directly from one occupier to another. Ok, so now I'm just confusing myself. :p

@DaveMcW: Thanks for the test. I had the feeling that might be the case due to experiences in a few recent games, but I wasn't at all sure.

Renata

Top Bottom