*Spoiler4* Gotm21-Melee - End Game Submitted

Great game, Karasu! :goodjob: I really need to put up a more details about how my game went, just for comparison. Not nearly as good as yours, but I was statisfied it all went rather smoothly after all. I got the Colossus (which helped money wise of course) but I missed the Oracle. Details & maps will follow when I'm at home tonight...

thank you, Space! <start gloating>

It was a really interesting game. What really pleased me is the way I prevented them from building even a single part of the SSS (TM), but... <stop gloating> ...but we are all quite far from the "best" date for this type of victory.

BTW, I realised that I got the SAME finish date as jeffelammar. That's really weird... :eek:

Since the discovery of Refining and the conquest of most of the World, things became awfully peaceful and happy for the Greek Democracy. Love celebrations were held in most of the cities on an anual basis. Greece researched all remaining technologies at a maximum (4 turn) rate with science set at around 50-60%. The leftover cash was used to rush marketplaces, aqueducts, harbors, and eventually hospitals.

The only thorn in the side of the Greek utopia were the Romans, who sent soldiers wandering around Greece uninvited, surely searching for an undefended city to attack. Eventually, the micromanagement of having to follow those units around stopped outweighing the gold per turn that the Romans were paying Greece, so Alexander ordered Ceasar to remove his troops. The income lost from the ensuing declaration of war was actually worth the extra happiness from the negative war weariness.

In 1330 A.D. Greece launched their spaceship, an event that is worth 14445 points according to Firaxis, or 10970 points according to Aeson.

The end.

:)

Congratulation Alexman!:goodjob: You are the first to break the 10K barrier this month.

[party]

First of all: congratulations Alex, you're the Man! Winner maybe? We'll see....

As promised some details about my 20k game (pictures say more than words):

This is my Athens, culture per turn 112, lots of Wonders but lacking the ancient Oracle and Newtons:

Here's the minimap, where you can see I invaded Persia and the Zulus to keep them from finishing their SSSs (TM). The Zulus never managed a single part, but Persia had 7. Persepolis is in the pink circle, within reach if necessary.

Finally the powergraph showing how being a democracy in wartime hurt my score :(, but also the way I eliminated the strongest civs :) :

I didn't keep record of the exact construction dates :(, is there a way to extract that data from the final save?

The curious thing about this all is that I (well, Mad and I) chose this victory type for its rarity and now everybody is at it :crazyeye:, weird.

Wow, what a score Alexman, congrats on a very awesome game.

have to say, winner, maybe

Very good 20K game a space oddity. may we all learn from your experience:)

Although I submitted over a week ago, I wanted to make a general recap of my game. First of all, to the GOTM team, thanks for such a wonderful, exciting game! I have played around 50 games in my Civ3/PTW "career," and this one goes down as my most enjoyable! One thing that made it so enjoyable was the fact that it was a trading paradise!

My primary objectives were to get the Great Library and to create a settler factory. Both missions were accomplished, as I completed the Great Library in 490BC and had a nice settler/worker pump on the flood plains SE of the starting position.

Until 1080AD, I played as the peaceful builder, working exclusively on infrastructure and happiness. In fact, all the money that I saved up during the Great Library free tech period I used to rush infrastructure. Of course, I maintained a healthy defensive military during this time. Although, I must admit, I became overzealous at times with my empire building and would have suffered some heavy losses on the fringes of my empire if someone had sneak attacked.

Between 1080AD and 1705AD, I engaged in several swift, decisive wars, before war weariness could set in. Using the idea of "win the war before you attack," I build up hordes of units (depending on the war, either cavalry, tanks, or modern armor), and then either declared war on my enemy or angered them until they declared on me. Here is a listing of the wars, including their respective durations: 1) Germany (1080AD-1170AD); 2) Minoans (1240AD-1305AD); 3) Ottomans (1535-1605AD); 4) France (1690AD-1700AD). At the end of the the wars, I controlled the entire starting continent. (I really had not planned to take out France, but because their culture was a threat to my 100K victory, I decided to do so.) As one might imagine, I rushed cultural improvements in my newly conquered lands, especially libraries and universities.

A note on government: I was in only two during the entire game, despotism until 130BC, and Republic from 130BC until the end of the game. Why did I stay in Republic for so long? Well, I really didn't want to endure the 5-6 turns of anarchy in order to switch to democracy, and once there, I feared I may have to switch back due to war weariness in future wars. Therefore, I remained in the highly versatile Republic for basically the entire game.

Wonders I built: the Great Library, Leonardo's Workshop, Theory of Evolution/Hoover Dam, Universal Suffrage, United Nations, SETI. (Also, I captured Sun Tzu's Art of War from the Germans, and this proved most helpful during my subsequent conquests.)

I was enjoying this game so much, that I really wasn't ready to stop playing whenever my 100K victory rolled around in 1725AD. At that point, I was accruing a staggering 1500 cultural points per turn, and there was no turning back. Also of note is that I had a city, Sparta, which was in the running for a 20K cultural victory. Interestingly, Sparta had never been the capital of my empire.

My score really isn't all that impressive, which is largely explained by my not having expanded via conquest until relatively late in the game, 1080AD. My final Firaxis score was 4952, which yielded a Jason score of 5309.

Ah yes, the culture screen, that's where, thanks Aeson.
Here's the list:

4000BC Palace
1575BC Colossus
1200BC Temple
250BC Great Library
130BC Library

210AD Hanging Gardens
350AD Cathedral
430AD Colosseum
710AD Sistine's
1090AD Shakespeare's
1100AD University
1152AD Bach's

1320AD ToE
1400AD Wall Street
1430AD IA
1460AD Battlefield Medicine
1510AD Heroic Epic
1535AD Mil. Academy
1595AD UN

1655AD SETI
1715AD Internet
1750AD Cure for Cancer
1772AD Longevity
1800AD Pentagon
1820AD Apollo Program

I could have built Apollo Program much sooner, but I had an almost superstious feeling the AI would follow my example. They *know* when you start it, I would be surprised if the programming uses that info.
And I didn't think about the military wonders until quite late in the game. I should have gone for those much earlier in the game. So all you builders out there: don't forget Heroic Epic, the Mil. Academy and the Pentagon have cultural value too.

Edit: I forgot to mention Sparta hosted three Wonders too, and I buld Hoover's in a river city. The Minoans were so kind to build the Pyramids for me :cool: in Knossos (that I incidently visited in the flesh, so to speak, only last week). I captured Sun Tzu's and Leo from Russia. In the end only Persia had a Wonder, Magellan, all others belonged to Greece :).

Edit: Picture of Knossos the way it is anno 2003AD:

The part in the front is original, the top shows the very recent reconstruction (very yucky IMHO, archeological sites are no Disney resorts)

space oddity,

Very impressive!:goodjob: I thought you are a peaceful builder, but I was wrong big time.

Thanks The One Warrior who's Fast, I'm looking forward to next months experiences. I think that'll really be a though one. So good luck! I also should mention I started selling Temples and Libraries in my core cities, basically all doubled cultural builings to try and avoid a 100k win. It's a pity you never know how close it is until you cross the mark. I think I would have easily have gotten 130k. Even after selling all those I got to 119742 culture points.

Thanks Moonsinger, I'm learning...

Some warmongering can definitely speed up a 20k culture win. But the main purpose of warmongering is generate leaders and grab wonders you would normally miss. The three "army wonders" only give 6 culture total, and they cost so much that only the Heroic Epic is worth building before the modern age.

Originally posted by Karasu

BTW, I realised that I got the SAME finish date as jeffelammar. That's really weird... :eek:

I just got to read the lastest posts on this thread, and my reation was the same. How the heck did that happen.
We took a noticably different path to 20K.

In my case, I didn't notice that the FP was so much better than the Palace till about 500AD. A bit late. I did consider doing a Palace build so I could change over to the FP in Athens, but decided not to.

I think the big mistakes I made were.
#1 - Waiting so long to build the Temple/Library.
#2 - Wasting a leader on Sun Tzu. I did this because Sun Tzu was available and I was at war, so I was hoping to get another leader as I got close to Theology.
#3 - I wasn't careful enough in managing Athens to maximum production.
#4 - I wish I could have had my 20K culture city next to fresh water so I didn't have to waste time building a Aqueduct.
#5 - I didn't put an emphasis on getting a new government. Usually the AI gets these for you quickly, but they didn't in this game. This cost me many turns of increased production.

I finished my game two weeks ago, and just got back from my vacation in time to post my game. I don't remember too much about it, but some you folks have great maps.
It's never fun to lose, but I do enjoy watching others win.
Lookin forward to this weekend, playing a new game.

Hmmm...

Well against what has largely been written here, I am posting my second Gotm and my second score in the 3000s.

Space race victory in 1826 for 4084 (F) or mid 3000s (J).

I was way behind in techs throughout the IA and only through securing ooddles of luxuries and strategic resources (along with all the financial improvements I could get) I was able to come back into the running in the MT with techs at 4 or 5 turns a piece.

Basically ran out of time (in fact I stopped altogether in mid-month due to my spouse's complete incomprehension) to do any serious conquering (took out the Ottomans & Minoans and helped destroy the Germans plus taking lots of Keltoi lands), and did not have many Wonders (including the UN) so once I got rocketry as my free tech I went for the stars.

I guess I am learning a lot and I feel like I have a solid base now to play from, I just have to upgrade my skills.

Maybe only the QSC on GotmXXII as I have holidays...

congrats to all who played and Alexman... 10 000+?! Yikes!

By the way... I keep reading everyone's posts about one of their original Greek core cities having both iron and coal... where on the map was that as I did not have ANY coal in the Greek home peninsula/continent? Iron yes to the east of the starting point but coal?

Originally posted by Boyd
By the way... I keep reading everyone's posts about one of their original Greek core cities having both iron and coal... where on the map was that as I did not have ANY coal in the Greek home peninsula/continent? Iron yes to the east of the starting point but coal?
There were actually 2 locations. I didn't notice the 2nd myself, but my brother told me about it (after the game). The 1st (the one I used) was about 5-10 tiles east of the starting location.

The one my brother used was in the mountains S-SW of the starting location.

If I get round to it I might add some screen shots :).

[Edit, screenshot attached]

The 2 locations were so close together that they easily fitted in to 1 screenshot. The Coal/Iron has been ringed in Red. I built the Iron Works in Corinth, which was surrounded by bonus grass. My brother built it in the other location in the mountains, which was even more shield rich.

Note to self...

"Put the crack pipe down."

Thanks Dianthus... I saw the one to the SW but I built Delphi right on top of the eastern coal and never noticed!

(Further note to self: This could also explain why I am not in the top twenty)

Originally posted by Boyd
Note to self...

"Put the crack pipe down."

Thanks Dianthus... I saw the one to the SW but I built Delphi right on top of the eastern coal and never noticed!
:lol:

To be honest though, the only reason I noticed it is because some advisor or other popped up telling me that my people wanted to build The Iron Works, so I had a quick look. I had seen the Iron Works in the 'pedia, but this is the 1st time ever that I've had the opportunity to build it. Having said that, maybe I just missed seeing it on previous occassions :).

Top Bottom