Spring 2017 patch notes

From the patch notes it seems like the Macedon and Persia DLC('s) will be released at the same time as the patch.

Harbour trade route back just for RND - good but not looking forward to managing 20+ trade route again.

Lighthouse +1 food..... This may push my pop too fast now, I have to be careful with those fish. Useful in conjunction with shipyard.

Shipyard - I had stopped building them, now its a bit of a handy tool. Lets say you have a coastal city with 7 pop, with there now being 2 food per sea tile I can send all 7 pop to the water with a click of the gold button for an additional +14 gold... It also helps for warmongers who need the gold but not the production queue... The city will build very slowly. - Not the right option but an option nevertheless

I suspect the restart button is intentionally left out as is the HOF

Last edited:
No "disabled off screen animations"?

Oh well I guess the patch is worth trying out once.

• Added more civs to the True Start Location Earth map.
Does this possibly mean that we could get different city-states when we play on the Firaxis TSL map? I'm getting tired of playing with the same city states

I suspect the restart button is intentionally left out as is the HOF

I agree it is deliberate... but I struggle to understand why the HOF isn't included. As someone who doesn't restart games due to a lack of desired start; that button being missing doesn't bother me. But surely more people than less like to try to beat their past scores. And no one has to go look at it if they don't want to.
I just can't fathom what reason they have for not including it. This isn't little league where you'd expect to find some wanting to protect players from disappointment.

But surely more people than less like to try to beat their past scores. And no one has to go look at it if they don't want to.

Maybe it is that only few people are interested in their previous scores?
I for one don't care about the score after a game. If I win a science victory or whatever with a score of 12, I don't care as long as I won.
The only time I look at the score is during game to have an estimation of strength compared to the other players.

I doubt it....
All kids love getting their initials into the high score on arcade games (though yeah, they're going extinct no doubt) and I don't think many of us drop trying to beat our previous high score even if we don't take it that seriously.

Replace? Build a city where the river meets the sea, next to some coastal resources if possible.
Build harbor next to city and resources.
Build hub next to city harbor and river.
Profit

Finally, a reason to research the Harbor tech. It being a leaf tech really detracted from its viability. Now that Harbors are awesome, its leaf tech status is justified somewhat.

Also, about damages retained on City Center and Encampments "when traded", does this extend to when cities change ownership due to being conquered? I hated how they just go back to full health after one takes them. If they retain their damages post annexation, it would make for very interesting warfare where the city keeps changing hands. Still won't fix the problem with 1-turn razing though.

AI improvements are good. Melee units not attacking embarked units anymore is good. A repeatable Civic at the end of the tree is questionable, because that might force me to pick up Globalization, which obsoletes the +4 gold per trade route card. The AI improvements sound minor, but are welcome regardless.

The warmonger penalty reduction is awesome! Makes much sense too, flavor-wise.

Overall a very solid patch. They are ironing out the issues one by one, and they certainly listen to the community feedback when it comes to game balance.

I agree it is deliberate... but I struggle to understand why the HOF isn't included. As someone who doesn't restart games due to a lack of desired start; that button being missing doesn't bother me. But surely more people than less like to try to beat their past scores. And no one has to go look at it if they don't want to.
I just can't fathom what reason they have for not including it. This isn't little league where you'd expect to find some wanting to protect players from disappointment.

Concerning the HoF, I agree that it's quite nice to be able to look back at past victories, and its useful to see which specific victory types you've won with for a given civ so that you know which ones you haven't tried before for later games, but the scoring system itself is more or less meaningless. I mean, in Civ V, fast domination victories always wind up being the highest score because of the massive bonus from finishing in ~100 turns and beating your high score eventually just winds up being more about doing super 'gamey' things (spamming cities everywhere, rushing wonders you don't really need for bonus points as you near victory, etc,) rather than just playing well.

I miss it, but I don't think its heartbreaking or an obligatory game feature. If they feel the need of bringing it back I'd prefer them to put some effort into it rather than something you'd put together just to stick into a patch - more detailed records, perhaps tools for filtering and comparing scores, and a general overhaul of the scoring system to make it more comparable across the various victory types and playstyles.

I think they think the Steam Achievements had more-or-less replaced the HOF for a lot of people.

Got to admit, had not had much time to play since . . . well, the last patch or two. Are these significant changes?

Decent changes except most of these things had already been fixed with mods long ago :s

Warmonger penalty changes look good though, and the Royal Navy Dockyard change is actually a pretty huge buff to England relatively speaking which was probably needed

A repeatable Civic at the end of the tree is questionable, because that might force me to pick up Globalization, which obsoletes the +4 gold per trade route card.

I hadn't considered that....

Top Bottom