SQ1: Google Earth

Sima... its a .zip file ;)... did you make sure to unzip it before trying to open the save :p

tupaclives said:
Sima... its a .zip file ;)... did you make sure to unzip it before trying to open the save :p

:old: Hey now! I might be old and senile, but I'm still sharp enough to notice that!

Nice try tupac...

Just took a very quick glance at the save, and it seems like a lot of swords are being built. Are we preparing for a showdown with AOL? If we're going to revolt soon I'd say concentrate on markets, libs, harbors, and possibly even courthouses (???).

[offtopic] I think we got a new city name:

Google to Organize World's Courtship Information with Google Romance

Service to offer psychographic matchmaking plus free “contextual dating” option

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif., April 1, 2006 - Google Inc. (NASDAQ: GOOG) today announced the launch of Google Romance™, a new product that offers users both a psychographic matchmaking service and all-expenses-paid dates for couples who agree to experience contextually relevant advertising throughout the course of their evening.

"Our mission, as you might have heard, is to organize the world's information," said Jonathan Rosenberg, Google's senior vice president, product management. "And let's face it: in what area of life is the world's information more disorganized than romance? We thought we could use our search technology to help you find that special someone, then send you on a date and use contextual ads to help you, ya know - close the deal."

Google Romance users who find one another via Soulmate Search™ may then select the Contextual Dating option, which offers an all-expenses-paid romantic evening in exchange for viewing contextually relevant advertising throughout the course of the users' date (learn more). "Our internal projections say Contextual Dating is going to be unbelievably huge, just a total cash cow," said Google CEO Eric Schmidt in prepared remarks placed into the notes section of an executive PowerPoint presentation and intended solely for internal use but promptly leaked onto the web and then roundly mocked on Digg and Slashdot. The product, a beta release currently residing on Google Labs, can be experimented with at www.google.com/romance/.

Sima Qian said:
:old: Hey now! I might be old and senile, but I'm still sharp enough to notice that!

Nice try tupac...

:D Thought I might be able to catch you out.

I believe Tupaclives is still experiencing problems with adviser screens in his Mac version, and putting it down to software deficiencies?

I just downloaded your 210 AD save, installed the mod, set up the /Art/Units/ folders, and loaded up the save in version 1.29b2 on my Mac. Here is the F4 screen. I really don't think it's a generic Civ3 software problem.

PS. I've attached the set of minimal unit folders you need to add your special units. These are the ones I used when I loaded up your save. If you include them in your mod thre's no need to manually duplicate and rename existing folders

Attachments

• SQ-1_210AD.jpg
    SQ-1_210AD.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 123
  • Google Mod Units.zip
    7.5 KB · Views: 64
Question for team
Any thoughts on war with AOL
Currently we are in despot with quite a number of units - though still weak v AOL
A short war with goals of defending at Redmond (leader fishing?), and capturing AOLs 4 towns on our half of the continent. (BTW is gpt deal for tech then demanding they leave our territory or dow - knowing that they are likely to dow - too exploitive for non-evil googlers?)
Risks of war - AOL has many units in our west putting in jeopardy our lux (and iron). Delays further our revolt to republic and GA.
Benefits - clear out AOL from west - if successful. Possible tech for gpt which get out of paying. AOL may well dow us anyway as they have almost eliminated Apple from our west, then they will be looking for a target for their superior military, at least if we control the timing we can hit them first.
edit - if gpt then provoking dow too exploitive / risky we could possibly get a tech from Apple for MA v AOL at discount (then committed to 20 turns of war - I'm not sure we want this)

Quick update
Its 340AD and we are a republic at war with Apple
Had 5 turn anarchy, since then mostly infrastructure builds. We need to consider a site for FP I think
No action in war with Apple. AOL and Apple recently signed peace treaty with Apple kicked off our continent
Oh yeah ... we have Leo's and have put it to use upgrading spears and archers so our territory is a little more secure
No recent trades - initially traded linux 3 lux for invention and ontraded to IBM + some gold for theology
I'm not keen on continuing to supply Linux with lux as they are too advanced

I'll be away from tomorrow till the 18th April so please skip me if I come up.

Eh? There's actually still a safe trade route after war with Apple? I guess Linus must have discovered navigation then...

I think a war with AOL has got to come up soon, our FP will probably make a second core around the southwest, and there's AOL cities taking up space there.

As for GPT deal followed up by the AI declaring war, I don't consider that "being evil" - it is the AI that declared war, after all. Not our fault they're dumb, right?

@AlanH: Thanks for the help!

Sima Qian said:
Eh? There's actually still a safe trade route after war with Apple? I guess Linus must have discovered navigation then...

sneak preview

230AD
Penguins building Magellans

310AD
Penguins building Adam Smith's

Not a particuarly exciting turnset - most of the action was IBT and that mostly builds.

I have hung off trading using min run chivalry to full, but trading opportunity opened up on last turn when Sun finally built a harbour so we can trade silks. This trade has not been done yet.

I have spent come gold shortrushing infrastructure in our core - I have tried to develop primarily our first ring, although have started on a few 2nd ring towns. We are vulnerablke to flips with our poor culture, so libs have been built despite our zero science. I feel they are necessary to both push back our cultural borders and to boost our overall culture relative to our neighbours

The remainder of finances is planned for WC / HM -> knight upgrade in 2 turns which will cost in the vicinity of 800g but give us a force of almost 20 knights. Next player may feel more valuable to spend it on trading ...

Our worker force has been improved to 32 incl 10 slaves. Personally I would go with another 6-8 (3 being built) given the large amount of jungle to be cleared still. Uncovering BGs under the jungle has certainly improved several of our cities - I'm sure there are many more

Military
currently have 11 pikes, 1 spear, 9 swords, 2LBs, 5 archers, 7HM, 9WC (+2 next turn), 6 cats and 1 galley ( I thought I had upgraded spears and archers - must have got distracted part way through :blush: )

Remain at war with Apple and IBM - only 1 fight where IBM sent a sword to Blogger so WW not yet an issue and presumably we are benefitting from WH.
Both will only accept peace for gold payment, I dont think its worth it unless it will improve our trading opportunities.
At some stage we will need to war with AOL - 20 knights might not be a bad time (havnt seen any AOL knights yet, but they have dozens of units in our western area _ currently have an ROP and silk trade to discourage sneak attack - lasts 2 more turns)

Research
Chivalry comes in in 2
If trade for EDU, option of researching PP at max allowed (currently 40% science -> 3gpt surplus making 74 beakers per turn giving PP in about 18. Of course someone may already have researched PP, but if not its our best option for a monopoly tech

Turn log to follow

Turnset

Preturn
Count 35 AOL units visible in our west :eek:
Appear very vulnerable at Blogger (1 archer - no roads), Google (Sw and Sp, but surrounded by lots of units) and at Print (1WC)
Query why building harbour in Print when it will have lots of food after jungle chopped? -> whip lib for cultural expansion and then plan to build workers
Switch a couple of builds to archers for upgrade to 4 attack LBs soon

IT
lots of Apple units killed, Safari razed
Print lib -> worker
Talk worker -> court (I know I'm often guilty of building way too many courts, but this will later be a very powerful city and a court will speed later infrstructure builds - it will take a while, so next player will have opportunity to change if I have failed to convince ;) )

1) 230AD

IT
11 AOL units move adjacent Picasa - hope they have somewhere to go
Googleplex pike -> pike
Froogle market -> lib (for culture expansion - we are under pressure)
Penguins building Magellans

2) 250AD
Gems wont connect this turn as 2 workers roading are slaves :( - have go a turn or 2 without gems
Trade Linux Invention + WM + 42g for furs, silk and gems - hire taxman in Googleplex
Switch Menlon Pk to Leos - due in 2
Trade IBM Theology for Invention, WM + 198g
Trade AOL ROP, WM, 1gpt, 33g for silks (an unbalanced trade, but they may have demanded silks anyway and at least this way they will be less inclined to attack us whilst we remain very vulnerable)
Send archers and spears to rax for upgrading after Leo completes

IT
AOL moves units on to Apple cith Quicktime
Blogger walls -> lib
Yahoo and Big Blues commence Leos - too late suckers

3) 260AD
Whip lib in Orlut

IT
Menlo Pk completes Leo's :band: -> worker
Orkut lib -> worker

4) 270AD
REVOLT - draw 5 turns anarchy
Hire 3 taxmen to keep positive gpt

IT
Apple demand TM + 49g, I refuse and they dow
Quicktime razed by AOL - no Apple cities left on our continent
AOL, Sun and Linux have chivalry

5) 280AD
:coffee:

6) 290AD
:coffee:

7) 300AD
:beer:

8) 310AD
:beer:

IT
We emerge as a republic
Penguins building Adam Smith
Apple -> anarchy

9) 320AD

IT
Googleplex pike -> worker
Menlo Park worker -> market
Scholar pike -> worker
Apple -> Monarchy

10) 330AD
Decide EDU too expensive - 21gpt +548g and no avail ontrades as at war with Macs (wont acknowledge envoy) or no gpt avail

IT
Googleplex worker -> WC for knight upgrade
MV lib -> ducy

11) 340AD
Shortrush market in Menlo Park
IT
IBM signs MA with Apple v us
GMail builds lib -> market
Desktop worker -> worker

12) 350AD

IT
Googleplex WC -> lib
Menlo Pk market -> duct
Web Search duct -> lib

13) 360AD

IT
Frooglr lib -> worker

14) 370AD
shortrush duct in Menlo Pk

IT
Print worker -> worker
Scholar worker -> WC
Video market -> worker
Apple galley pair sail by GMail

15) 380AD
send 4 horses to shadow galleys

IT
Menlo Parkduct -> WC
Froogle worker -> worker

16) 390AD

IT
Pike d IBM sword at Blogger - promotes elite :D
Googleplex lib -> WC
Web Search lib -> WC
Video worker -> duct

17) 400AD
Apple will talk peace but want 160g - have seen no action so decline
Best deal avail for EDU is with Linux (dont want to boost them further, next best is with Sun (? consider after Chivalry researched -> PP)

IT
Menlon Pk WC (sorry just realised had no rax :blush: ) -> lib
Froogle worker -> duct

18) 410AD

IT
Apple and AOL sign peace treaty
Googleplex WC -> WC
Web Search WC -> WC
Linux completes Magellans
Apple's galleys now on east coast going past Googleplex ? heading for Leo's

19) 420AD

IT
Apple galleys reverse direction :confused:
Desktop worker -> worker (too much jungle to start infrastructure on this city yet)
Orkut worker -> worker

20) 430AD
Apple still want 160g for peace
IBM will now talk - they want 120g for peace
EDU costs all gold, WM + 2gpt from Linux
Sun now able to trade lux - will sell EDU for silks, WM and 438g (? give gpt) - I leave this for next player

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads11/430AD_SQ1.JPG

Another thought
We could train our newly upgraded knights against IBM by taking z/OS, then perhaps AOL

Roster:

Sima Qian
tupaclives (away - skip til 18/4)
Andronicus - just played
Tone - UP
Mirc (??? on deck)

Wow, first time I've seen the AI actually put up a wall of units like that. Usually I just see huge stacks.

I think either Talk or Desktop would be a good FP location, but would require the AOL cities to get wiped out before we can make good use of the surrounding land.

Anyone else think we could settle a few of the open spots that remain?

BTW, I think Tone said he won't be back til the end of this week... if Mirc is paying attention I'd recommend him to pick up a turnset here, otherwise we can wait.

Sima Qian said:
I think either Talk or Desktop would be a good FP location, but would require the AOL cities to get wiped out before we can make good use of the surrounding land.
Warner Bros gets my vote - only a small problem in that it is currently owned by AOL, but its nice and central in the western area - would need a leader though. If hand build then I suggest Talk after court build

Anyone else think we could settle a few of the open spots that remain?
I would be cautious as will be hard to defend against AOL when eventually we war with them. Currently Redmond provides nice walled hill site for them to suicide.

Andronicus said:
I would be cautious as will be hard to defend against AOL when eventually we war with them. Currently Redmond provides nice walled hill site for them to suicide.

Good point. Maybe the library being built there could be switched to a barracks? It's way too corrupt to produce any useful science for us I think.

I've never tried "leader farming" before, so I'd appreciate any advice about how it works. And I'd definitely wait until we get pikes (or maybe even muskets) before we get AOL suiciding over there.

BTW, if anyone thinks the turnsets are starting to get too long, just let me know. Personally I'm fine with 20 turns all the way up to the industrial age, but since this is deity level and the AI has tons of units, it could get quite time consuming especially when we are at war.

Still waiting for a "got it" from either Tone or Mirc... (I wouldn't mind waiting til the weekend for Tone to get back)

Sima Qian said:
Maybe the library being built there could be switched to a barracks? It's way too corrupt to produce any useful science for us I think.
The lib build is for cultural expansion - particuarly to discourage AOL from building to Remond's SW and then pressurising it culturally

I've never tried "leader farming" before, so I'd appreciate any advice about how it works. And I'd definitely wait until we get pikes (or maybe even muskets) before we get AOL suiciding over there
Pikes already there :) .
Require at least 2 preferably 3 pikes in Redmond as reinforcements will be hard to reach. Cats to redline units adjacent then knights to knock off red-lined units. Helps to have culural borders expanded and roads on surrounding tiles.

BTW, if anyone thinks the turnsets are starting to get too long, just let me know. Personally I'm fine with 20 turns all the way up to the industrial age, but since this is deity level and the AI has tons of units, it could get quite time consuming especially when we are at war.
I might move to 10 next time - I'm just very slowwww and dislike rushing through the turns.

Sima, I'm sorry, but I have some problems with my Civ3. I don't know when I'll be able to play, so you could get me out of the roster.

Top Bottom