Squats, Bench, Deadlift: This is your fitness thread

My bicep and elbow are basically better but I haven't stressed them enough to know. Itching to get back into it but don't want to be premature.

Focusing on reps isn't the worst idea, because consistent strength is necessary to real-life applications. But don't poo-pooh occasionally going through the strength programs that specifically target your 2RM. Anecdotally, I was shooting for a 20RM target on bench and was stuck at the target weight for 14-15 reps for months - multiple training cycles. I did a 6 week 2RM cycle for bench and popped back to 22 reps on the previous target. At 22 reps, it almost doesn't feel like you're doing real work, you're just tiring yourself out.

Back in gym after 5 days off due to whole family being incredibly sick (fever, flu like symptoms, baby could barely breastfeed due to nose being clogged up, toddler was miserable, crying all day & night, I barely was sick but also barely slept)

Feels good to be back but frustrating trying to make gains w **** sleep every night (due to baby, annoying toddler). And can't seem to gain weight to save my life (182lb/82kg), and recently lost a few pounds due to poor sleep, being a little sick. One day light eating I lose 2-3lb

Still I'm gonna stick w my routine and if I'm plateued til kids are over 4yo so be it (altho by then I'll be pushing 50 :old:)

If one can get into this @ a young age before kids, career (not that I really have that) I highly recommend it. I wish I'd gotten serious @ 21 instead of 41 or even better around 12yo when testosterone production just kicking into gear.

Last edited:
Activity: cycling, gravel bike
Distance: 84.82 km
Elapsed time: 03:34:42
Cumulative elevation gain: 823 m
Temperature: 18 °C
Weather: sunny
Intensity: low/medium
Water consumption: 1.6 L
Food: no
Chammy (y/n): y
Spotify: aggrotech

Did 105,4 km today with a total elevation of 1014 m. Perfect temperature; 20-22 C. A bit windy though. Legs are not perfect atm but will be OK again tomorrow.

My girl finally got into being gymrat w me, we take turns now while other parents stays w kids playing in the softplay (indoor playground) attached to gym.

Hopefully her mum can watch the kids sometime so we can workout together at least once a week

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230724-140334.png
    Screenshot_20230724-140334.png
    971 KB · Views: 17
Yes, I think that is a vid I will have to watch a few times for it to really sink in :D. Seriously though, it was interesting because I do what she would call half squats (with a kettlebell) most days when I'm sitting a lot just for a break from sitting. So basically I learned that I've been doing it all wrong. Thanks.

Educational and enjoyable to watch :D

The deep squat is no problem for me. It takes me a very long time to get to a pistol squat. The last time I had a successful rep was a couple of weeks ago on one side. I believe this is a sitting issue (too much World of Warcraft) and I will try to work it out.

Someone sent me an old sketch of me from the back that they'd done @ a school where I worked part-time as an artist model back in 2011. I was pretty skinny back then so I was curious how my back was now compared to then so I asked my gf to take a photo.

Spoiler :

Artist rendition, age 31
TonyBackPaintingAge31.png

Photo age 44 (today)
TonyBackPhotoAge44.png

Certainly I think my body has a long way to go before I reach my ideals, but definitely possible to make significant progress even when older (I didn't really start proper consistent exercise until age 40, just before covid).

Leftie Twitter is doing what leftie Twitter does best: tearing into each other over a seemingly innocuous issue. This time it's the question of whether telling people to exercise is ableist. The ensuing discourse has thrown up some real gems, but one of my favourites is this poster:

20240210_174858.jpg

Leftie Twitter is doing what leftie Twitter does best: tearing into each other over a seemingly innocuous issue. This time it's the question of whether telling people to exercise is ableist. The ensuing discourse has thrown up some real gems, but one of my favourites is this poster:

View attachment 684398
If we must conform to our truly shared common form, it is to be dead.

Top Bottom