Star Wars Model - Y-Wing (4/13/06)

Rabbit_Alex said:
I just tried editing the texture again and I forget how I did it :lol:

Dual, can you tell me how you made the good-looking textures (the red or blue parts)?

That's strange how it's making parts of it transparent. I don't know why it's doing that.

I would try using the same DXTBmp program I use to convert the image into dds form. You can also use it to convert the dds file back into a bmp for editing in other programs. It's a free program, and you can download it here (at the bottom of the page): http://www.mnwright.btinternet.co.uk/programs/dxtbmp.htm

What I do to make the textures is to create a bmp file, and use Photoshop 6 to paint and/or copy + paste the textures onto it. (You should be able to use your GIMP program for that.) Then I open the finished bmp file up with the DXTBmp program, and use it to convert the file to a DXT3 dds file.

I don't add an alpha mask to my units right now, because I haven't gotten teamcolors to work correctly yet. But once I get that figured out, I'll have to start adding alphas when I make the dds file, to show the game where to add the teamcolor on the unit.

For the colored stripes on the X-Wing, all I did was paint them onto the textures in a solid color. Then I selected them with the magic wand tool and added a noise filter to them, to break the color up a little.

I assume GIMP has some way to adjust the hue of colors in a image. If it does, you could just select the red parts of my origional image and change the hue to any color you want.

Thanks Dual! That converter program works well.

So you use the noise filter? That's too easy :lol:

GIMP can do most of the things that Photoshop does. You can't find as many brushes or filters for it though. I found one to convert an image into a flag with ripples on it though, and onethat turns a selection into a lightsaber blade. :goodjob:

And yes, I adjusted the hue to make the color changes. The first time I was just playing around with tools so I didn't get it. :lol:

And here's the Xwing with the blue texture WORKING :goodjob:

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 160
Thanks Dual :goodjob:

Since then I've also made green, dark blue, dark red and gold skins for it (but I left the R2 unit blue). I'm gonna do the Awing tomorrow I think. It's pretty fun making it look right. :)

WOW, I LOVED THIS UNIT!!! I remeber playing it in Rogue Squadron on nintendo 64 and that game, I would always use the xwing or y wing especially to desatroy buildings and i loved those shiny balls falling from it!!! GREAT UNIT DUAL!! keep it up!

This is absolutely gorgeous. And Killamike718, I LOVED Star Wars Rogue Squadron for N64!!!

Those were great games! I played Star Wars Galaxies for the first two years and I loved space combat more than anything because it was just like Rogue Squadron or X-wing vs. TIE Fighter.

senwiz said:
Yeah...How they figured a B out of that one...I'll NEVER know. But, I can't wait to see it. :)

I read that it was the short form of Blade-Wing, which makes kind of sense. But my guess is that they created the model first and then couldn't come up with a name that was both suiting and matching the other rebel ship names (you don't want to confuse your audience, do you?)...

Oh, and cool unit!

Rabbit_Alex said:
Great job Dual! So what will you be doing next?

Thanks. :)

Next I'm working on an E-Wing fighter, which should be ready in a couple days I think.

And after that, I'm planning to re-use parts of my X-Wing model to make a Z-95 Headhunter.

Dual said:
Thanks. :)

Next I'm working on an E-Wing fighter, which should be ready in a couple days I think.

And after that, I'm planning to re-use parts of my X-Wing model to make a Z-95 Headhunter.
Hmmm... I wonder how many various fighters do the Empire and the Rebels have combined... would... umm, I don't know... just off the top of my head, 26 be a good guess? :D

Rabbit said:
Hmmm... I wonder how many various fighters do the Empire and the Rebels have combined... would... umm, I don't know... just off the top of my head, 26 be a good guess? :D

:lol: George Lucas does like his alphabet, doesn't he? :D

Are you going to do any ground units Dual? We could also use a Lambda-class shuttle and a Millenium Falcon for the Star Wars mod :p

Rabbit_Alex said:
Are you going to do any ground units Dual? We could also use a Lambda-class shuttle and a Millenium Falcon for the Star Wars mod :p

I intend to make some Star Wars land units eventually. And maybe those other two also.

But first I want to take a small break from Star Wars after I finish the Z-95. There are a couple of Final Fantasy units I'm planning on doing, and I am excited to get started on them.

Top Bottom