Star Wars: The Mod Awakens

Star Wars: The Mod Awakens 1.11

Thanks! I appreciate the critique on the summary as well as the link recommendation. . . if you give an idiot "do this, and that" instructional I'll change the name of the downloaded file. Life is extremely hectic right now, so uploading this was more or less all the time I can spend on it. I might have some time around Christmas as I mentioned to provide more polish. With that said, any feedback will be noted and when I have time I'll look into!

Once again thanks!
No worries. Sadly there's no way to rename files once uploaded so you'll need to rename your original file on your computer, go to your existing ModDB file download page (link below), click the edit button (pictured below) and re-upload the file again. The new file will replace the old one.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/star-wars-the-mod-awakens-epic-mod/downloads/epicmod

1662623653743.png

I finally got to fire it up. Whislt the scenario now brings the laptop to its knees, it's great and has an incredible feeling of polish and depth. :thumbsup:

It is with much pleasure I'd like to provide an update to the "epic mod" found here https://www.moddb.com/mods/star-wars-the-mod-awakens-epic-mod (should be available for download by tomorrow (Aug. 29th, 2022).

Updates include but are not limited to: some graphical changes, new resources, optimization of turn times (still crazy long but a bit better), numerous new buildings and units (including Ewoks, and fortress worlds). Tweaking of triggers and rules, build paths etc. The Civilopedia has been updated with exception to flavour updates (background descriptions, mod description etc.), basically background information witch won't impact your understanding of how the building tree works. An are which I might not have articulated accurately is you need various levels of star ports for most buildings. As so many buildings require star ports linking them all will cause that hyperlink error, as such read the description of the building if you feel you should be able to build something yet can't, it will explain what is needed.

Units I do remember adding are: Ewok, Jawa, Wookee, Droideka
Buildings I do remember adding are: Rebel Outpost, Endor Base, Underworld, Luxury Apartments, Modular Shipbuilding Facilty, Medical Academy, Fortress World, Commerce Guild Bank, (more???), of special interest is the Galactic Senate (Jedi) and Galactic Senate (Defunct) <-- for when the Empire rightfully takes back Coruscant from the pathetic Republic and those squabbling bureaucrats (please read this last bit in Emperor Palpatine's voice).

Some techs have been altered, some resources I'm especially pleased with are the strategic resource Shawken Spire, and The Maw.

Most ground and naval (ISDs etc.) units have been resized so it is a bit more obvious what you are coming against. No longer are you going to have your ISD coming against some 200m Interceptor IV-Class Frigate and get confused into thinking its anything other than your first catch of the day.

I the "Epic" version of Meteor Man's mod is playable though I need to add some polish to the Civilopedia just to help clean things up a bit. I might have time by Christmas to have a bit of a polish update (though really it won't add much). Longer term if I can figure out why Flintlock's exe mod does not work for my one machine, I was thinking of utilizing some of the features (though I'd need to work on seeing how the ai handles this). Off the top of my head I'm thinking ISDs and similar craft only buildable around Shipyard worlds, having a foundry or something which produces Durasteel by combining Zersium and Lommite. Long time away for those ideas though.

Please let me know if the download works, and I'd be especially appreciative if others (thinking you Blake00) uploaded the "epic" mod elsewhere (I'd hate to lose the work I've put into this).

Once again thank you Meteor Man for letting me muck around with your mod, and thank you for putting your mod together so brilliantly!
The mods so much better with the November update - downtime between turns is about 5-15mn which is very manageable.
I am amazed by the refinement and immersion of the mod :) Hopefully you or Meteorman will find the time and will to do some incremental updates overtime.
Big cheers and big thanks again from me :thumbsup:

Did you just say 5 to 15 minutes? Even TAM wasn't that terrible. Most of the time.

Yup 5-15mn. Maybe on more power rigs it goes on faster, but it's definitely worth the wait ;)

Define ‘power rigs’. I am genuinely interested in this from the technical angle.

No worries. Sadly there's no way to rename files once uploaded so you'll need to rename your original file on your computer, go to your existing ModDB file download page (link below), click the edit button (pictured below) and re-upload the file again. The new file will replace the old one.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/star-wars-the-mod-awakens-epic-mod/downloads/epicmod

View attachment 638834
Will keep these suggestions in mind! :)

The mods so much better with the November update - downtime between turns is about 5-15mn which is very manageable.
I am amazed by the refinement and immersion of the mod :) Hopefully you or Meteorman will find the time and will to do some incremental updates overtime.
Big cheers and big thanks again from me :thumbsup:
Excellent, glad some of my optimization paid off. What is the specs of your machine? Processor speed I mean?

I'm planning on an update for this Easter (unless something comes up).

Thanks ajb, that's great news!
It's a macbook pro 2018 (i7-8850H @ 2.60GHz with 16gb RAM) playing on Bootcamp with Win10.

If I may, I would like to submit some suggestions for the next iteration of the mod, mainly inferred from some Empire at War mods:
- Upgrades of units (not requiring new visuals / GFX): Acclamator Assault / Mk II (lower carrier capacity and more on fighting power and bombardment); Venator Mk II (similar treatment and making them more relevant)
- Add capacity to upgrade Stormtrooper to Heavy Stormtrooper (did not play with Republic / CIS / Others maybe something could be made there too)
- Mandalore:
  1. add Deathwatch elite units (higher stats vs. Supercommandos)
  2. add Mando Crusade great wonder (bit anachronic) that would deliver some additional units if built on Mandalore
- Mercenaries: maybe add a second tech providing higher quality mercs. Why not making them mercs only purchasable instead of buildable with some heavy discounts for Hutts, Zann, Pyke, Black Sun, CSA?
- Heroes:
  1. Mandalore: Boba Fett (overpowered Slave)?
  2. Restored Empire: a super powered Venator?

And to continue on this, maybe add too a bit of incremental static defence to planets maybe add the v-150 / using the same visual as w-165 (mentioned in the description of the w-165 requiring specific resources) supposedly 4 times less powerful (ie 6-7 defence, on par with some land units) that would bridge the gap between the weak DF9 turret and the powerful w-165.

Thanks ajb, that's great news!
It's a macbook pro 2018 (i7-8850H @ 2.60GHz with 16gb RAM) playing on Bootcamp with Win10.
Thanks for the info!

If I may, I would like to submit some suggestions for the next iteration of the mod, mainly inferred from some Empire at War mods:
- Upgrades of units (not requiring new visuals / GFX): Acclamator Assault / Mk II (lower carrier capacity and more on fighting power and bombardment); Venator Mk II (similar treatment and making them more relevant)
- Add capacity to upgrade Stormtrooper to Heavy Stormtrooper (did not play with Republic / CIS / Others maybe something could be made there too)
- Mandalore:
  1. add Deathwatch elite units (higher stats vs. Supercommandos)
  2. add Mando Crusade great wonder (bit anachronic) that would deliver some additional units if built on Mandalore
- Mercenaries: maybe add a second tech providing higher quality mercs. Why not making them mercs only purchasable instead of buildable with some heavy discounts for Hutts, Zann, Pyke, Black Sun, CSA?
- Heroes:
  1. Mandalore: Boba Fett (overpowered Slave)?
  2. Restored Empire: a super powered Venator?
Decent ideas, especially the upgrades (Mk II or similar). If you know of more ships which they can use the same GFX, let me know I'll try to squeeze them in (I've wanted to add the Enforcer-class picket cruiser for the Pentastar Alignment for a while too).

And to continue on this, maybe add too a bit of incremental static defence to planets maybe add the v-150 / using the same visual as w-165 (mentioned in the description of the w-165 requiring specific resources) supposedly 4 times less powerful (ie 6-7 defence, on par with some land units) that would bridge the gap between the weak DF9 turret and the powerful w-165.
^I've wanted this as well; I added the KD2055 (I think it is 8 or so defence). . . . I assume you are good with this :p

This next update (2.0) will be a significant change to how the game is played (should release this Easter). See attached for a small teaser (please note the updated star wars themed constructor actions. . . small change but I'm quite proud of them -- I also have updated fortress, starbase, sector command in-map icons and civilopedia entries/images).

Attachments

• New1.png
    New1.png
    299.8 KB · Views: 37
  • New2.png
    New2.png
    389.7 KB · Views: 35
  • New3.png
    New3.png
    387 KB · Views: 36
I look forward to the next update. In the meantime I'm toying with the idea of changing things so that only troops can capture planets but ships can still move in and through them.

I look forward to the next update. In the meantime I'm toying with the idea of changing things so that only troops can capture planets but ships can still move in and through them.
It would completely rewrite the game but Kobayashi's Civ2 landmark Star Wars: Insurrection worked that way: Space was ocean and ships were... ships, so you needed ground units to actually seize the planets. Cost aside, I was always a little confused what the point of surface units is in this. :p

There are several C3C scenarios and mods working this way, among them the Star Trek Mod and the Space Opera Mod. Leaven designed a fantastic terrain for them. The problem of blocking land-sea intersections in star systems now is solved by Flintlock´s land-sea intersections option (blue line: path for naval units in standard C3C. Red line path for those units with the Flintlock mod).

Nevertheless I think, a space scenario for fixed maps with random starting locations based on only land terrain (with suns as only sea terrain) could be one of the most brutal ways to play a space mod. I made such a mod for Civ 2 ToT with the option of invasions from another galaxy (a second map) and until today this is one of my favorite civ mods I like to play.

Last edited:
I do remember that mod for ToT! I wish I could still play Test of Time. I threw out my CD physical copy years ago and now there is no where online to buy this game. (Not legally anyway)

So I'm not sure I understand correctly. The Mod Awakens map is made entirely of land terrain. Only the stars and nebulae are ocean IIRC. How does the Flintlock mod enable ships to not capture planets? I want only land units such as stormtroopers, walkers, etc. to be able to capture a planet

It would completely rewrite the game but Kobayashi's Civ2 landmark Star Wars: Insurrection worked that way: Space was ocean and ships were... ships, so you needed ground units to actually seize the planets. Cost aside, I was always a little confused what the point of surface units is in this. :p

yes that is exactly what I'm asking. What is the point of surface units? Ships can easily destroy them so TMA kind of forces you to defend your planets with ships not with troops.

So I'm not sure I understand correctly. The Mod Awakens map is made entirely of land terrain. Only the stars and nebulae are ocean IIRC. How does the Flintlock mod enable ships to not capture planets? I want only land units such as stormtroopers, walkers, etc. to be able to capture a planet
Not in TMA, but "conventional" Civ3 mods like Space Opera couldn't do Civ2-style "checkerboard" solar systems properly because NS/EW tiles are treated as contiguous and block naval movement. Flintlock's patch re-enables that strait functionality, so naval (space) units wouldn't have to travel all the way around a planet chain:

Preventing ships from capturing cities is as easy as a checkmark in the default editor; the problem is they'll still defend the cities as ground units.

I'm thinking the mod was designed as 'all-land' to work around this navigation issue (see: hyperlanes can only be built on predefined terrain anyway), but with Civ2-style straits re-enabled, I'm curious whether Meteor Man intends to do an official overhaul with space-as-sea.

Thanks ajb, these updates look great!
The picket enforcer of the PA could work well with the Vindicator GFX, if I recall correctly they were 418 Interdictors refitted by the PA.

Will keep delving into these but I believe that the coming update will be fantastic and full of nice Easter eggs.

I am currently playing through a nice CSA campaign.

If possible having tried Restored Empire, PA, Pentroch, and First Order I would say that Restored Empire could do with a bit of buff as PA tends to swallow pretty quickly RO and FO (playing on Yoda as advised).

Thanks for the love still given to the mod after these years 👍

Top Bottom