• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Started Playing (pics updating)

Any news on the player colors? Does every Civ still have one specific color, or do they switch off now based on who is on the board a la Civ3?

I know, I'm a jerk for wasting your valuable discussion with pithy comments like this...

Firstly, NDA is something entirely different.

Its something that needs clarification, but in principle, marketers like release dates to be set to work their campaigns around them. As such, stores are not allowed to sell something as soon as they get it in stock (eg. say you are the boss of one chain of stores, and another chain starts selling a product (read: Capturing market share) before the official release date. How would you feel?

Products frequently have different release dates, depending on where in the world the market is.

/threadjack.

There is a significant concern whether different release dates for different parts of the world are not in themselves violating antitrust laws, as they lead to partitioning of the market (same as DVD region coding). Certainly in the age of globalisation, there is no problem with buying a game in one place and transporting it to another.

In short, once the game is out anywhere in the world, trying to impose artificial limits on it being played anywhere else is both futile and likely illegal.

lol, the Christian Coalition is going to dominate all diplo.

Don't think so - I may be wrong, but I think the way favourite religion works, it only rules the first choice of religion the leader goes for when he/she founds the religion. This means that if you have both Isabella and Louis in game, and she founds religion, she will choose Christianity, however then if Louis founds his own religion, he will choose something else, meaning they will go to war nonetheless.

Levee needs a city near a river, the Dike needs a city near a river or be Coastal.

That means the Dutch UB isn't limited in effectiveness, at least, to a handful of riverside coastal cities. I'm certain the pro-Dutch on this forum will be floored. :)

Any news on the player colors? Does every Civ still have one specific color, or do they switch off now based on who is on the board a la Civ3?

I was wondering this too, I hope they some how manage to give every civ their own color...I doubt it however.

Also, do any of the Warlords leaders and BtS leaders for existing civs have their own music?

I'd be interested in hearing about the new Apostolic Palace. What options does it have? Does it add much to gameplay and diplomacy?

AFAIK, it does nothing to gameplay (aside from guide religion choices for AIs founding religions). It could be used for mods though.

yeah but well, if Isabella is the first to Meditation and gets Christianity instead of Buddhism, this means she will have a religion with a free missionary and a much higher spread rate than she would with Buddhism. And if I can choose I will obviously choose Islam. Or am I wrong ?

I hate favourite religions. Adds an unnecessary level of difficulty to the game. Like it's not hard enough to convert your neighbours...

I still have a few more days to wait. Thanks for the preview Dennis! :goodjob:

Some ideas...

Alexander - Greco-Roman Mythos
Augustus - Greco-Roman Mythos
Boudica - Germanic Myth
Brennus - Germanic Myth
Cyrus - Zoroastrianism
Darius - Zoroastrianism
Genghis Khan - ?
Gilgamesh - Mesopotamian Polytheism
Hammurabi - Mesopotamian Polytheism
Hannibal - Mesopotamian Polytheism
Hatshepsut - Egyptian Polytheism
Huayna Capac - Mesoamerican Polytheism
Julius Caesar - Greco-Roman Mythos
Mao (he's still "Chinese Leader") - None
Montezuma - Mesoamerican Polytheism
Pacal II - Mesoamerican Polytheism
Pericles - Greco-Roman Mythos
Ramesses - Egyptian Polytheism
Ragnar - Germanic Myth
Shaka - None
Sitting Bull - None
Stalin - None

Brennus and Boudica would be Celtic Myth, not Germanic myth. The two have little in common, Germanic myth being akin to Slavic myth with Celtic Myth being akin to Roman myth. Since there are two pagan Celtic leaders and only only pagan Germanic leader, I fail to see the reasonableness in giving in giving these two leaders the myth of that people. Likewise, if traditional religions are being used like this, why do Sitting Bull and Shaka not get their Native American myth and Zulu myth? Every human society has or had a body of beliefs we would call myth.

Just because Americans tend to learn more about Germanic and Greek myth doesn't make those two any more important. In fact both weren't religions in any formal proper sense, since they blended into and were mutually exchangeable with other polytheisms that they interacted with. E.g. the first things Romans and Greeks did when encountering a foreign god was to "translate" it; and that the Germans did the same is can be seen in the modern Germanic days of the week.

Anyways, Tengriism could be a suggestion for the Mongols. Or shamanism perhaps ...

yeah but well, if Isabella is the first to Meditation and gets Christianity instead of Buddhism, this means she will have a religion with a free missionary and a much higher spread rate than she would with Buddhism. And if I can choose I will obviously choose Islam. Or am I wrong ?
I think/hope you're wrong. Meditation Christianity has the same spread rate as Meditation Islam of Meditation Buddhism.
And i think that Divine Right Hinduism get a free missionary.

The only benefit is the speed of your Stupa/Cathedral/Academy/Mandir/Mosque/Synagogue/Pagoda.

If you have Copper go for Buddhism, Confucianism of Taoism. You should only go for Christianity or Judaism if you have Stone in your borders. Marble is good for Hinduism and Islam.

Boudica - Germanic Myth
Brennus - Germanic Myth

Neither of these were Germanic. They were (not surprisingly) Celtic. The Celts had their own set of myths and gods. It's sometimes called Druidism.

Oh, and we need more religions!

Since we can chose to pick religions now, there is no reason not to include a bunch. Only seven techs grant religions, so a given game would never have more than seven. But which seven were chosen could vary from game to game.

'S perfect.

Top Bottom