Starting with extra tech in 2 player games

Slorrin

Chieftain
I have been playing the same person in civ2 for about 4 years. Over possibly a thousand games, he has often started with irrigation, mining, roads, horseback riding, and bronze working. Whereas, i ahve NEVER, EVER, started with any extra techs.

I am wondering what the hell he starts with more techs than me, frequently. 40% of the time. We always quit those games and recconect until he doesn't have any extra techs. but still, why does this happen? it is not related to starting location or anything, as i have often started in horrible lands with deserts and mountains everywhere, without being rewarded by extra tech. Anyhow.

Please let me know. is he cheating? what's hapening here.

we are always playing on deity, always just the two of us, no computers. anyhow. let me know

Do you play always the same color (white?). When starting a game white gets always the best position but most of the times no or little techs. Purple gets the "worst" spot of the 7 civs but might get more free techs.

Perhaps it has something to do that you play with two persons...but I don't know much about multiplayer games.

Do you play always the same color (white?). When starting a game white gets always the best position but most of the times no or little techs. Purple gets the "worst" spot of the 7 civs but might get more free techs.

Perhaps it has something to do that you play with two persons...but I don't know much about multiplayer games.

He always palys as civ6, and i often play as civ7 (the Sioux specifically). But never as the Sioux have i received bonus technologies. And as rome, i've often started in pure garbage lands. but i'll take your word for it, since i hav eno ther explanation to go on.

In a two player game, your starting position doesn't matter. There is a bug in the game which allows the "hosting" player to receive extra starting techs, but the "joining" player never gets any. This was discovered back in the mid 90s, but didn't receive much attention because most people play single-player.

The only way to "equalize" two player games, that I know of, is to take turns "hosting" the game. That won't give both players extra techs per game, but each player gets an equal chance to get extra techs over many games.

It is common to restart the game until the host is "tech-free".

That's what we decided to do upon reading this thread. I am surprised more people dont' play civ2 multiplayer. With a small enough map, you can complete a game in an afternoon.

I am surprised more people dont' play civ2 multiplayer. With a small enough map, you can complete a game in an afternoon.

Hey Slorrin,

It has always been an annoyance to me too and I have long been surprised that nobody has been able to come up with what seems would be a very easy fix. The way it is normally handled is to restart until there is no host tech. So... your friend is definately not cheating, at least not in that way. Also, everybody starts the game with the ability to irrigate, mine and road.

Over the years there have been a good many multi-player players... The numbers have dwindled, but there are still at least a dozen active multi-players today that i know of and probably many more than this. If you were interested i could provide you with the contacts i have. My email and windows messenger is ed_walsh_1 at hotmail dot com and lesser used icq is 210 283 318. I think you would be amazed how much your horizons would expand facing new humans.

Top Bottom