starting with settlers

Hawkster

sorcerer
Does anyone know why some games start with one settler and some with two - is there any reason or is it just luck?

At deity you allways get two settlers. On the other levels I think it depends on the terrain, not sure though. The number of starting techs depends on terrain at least. If this is right, you'd probably get two settlers more often as a purple civ, since they are assigned starting position last.

Deity games always start with two settlers, regardless of what else you have at the beginning.
For games at other levels, you get more free things depending upon how the computer rates your starting position. If you begin the game in the centre of 4 specials then it is very unlikely that you will get two settlers or any free techs. Remember that the civs are placed in a certain order, from white to purple, and that the rating of your position will also include your proximity to another civ. The rating does not take the fact that these nearby civs will be overseas into account though, so you can sometimes be blessed but with no downside. :)
Bear in mind that although the computer may see it as a bad thing, having another civ start close to you can mean that you get some extra cities earlier.
Finally, because of the order in which the civs are placed on the map, and depending upon map size, then you are unlikely to get much free stuff with the Russians but are looking at a potential windfall with the Mongols.

Thanks guys - so other than choosing a civ carefully (avoiding white ) or playing on deity it is a random chance depending on starting location. I was hoping there was a way of controlling the start condition - I like starting with two settlers!

I used to play as celts a lot - now I know why I never seemed to do as well!

Duke you were saying ...
Remember that the civs are placed in a certain order, from white to purple, ...
so what please is the order in between?

:beer: [dance] :beer:

Same way they line up when choosing

white
green
dark blue
yellow
light blue
orange
purple

You can always just restart at lower levels until you get 2 settlers.Doesn't always mean a good thing.Sometimes you'll get 2 when wedged in amongst other civs and bad terrain.Sometimes you end up in the middle of 4 specials with rivers,5 techs and no other civs around.:confused:
The game has some strange algorithim of deciding what is good and what is bad

Top Bottom