StarWars.py Mapscript

Updated mapscript to have TERRAIN_GAS (Gas Giant) and TERRAIN_BARE_ROCK (see the post I made in the Graphics thread) as well as Large and Small sized planets.

Now, it seems the only thing left to do for StarWars is to add more planet names, unless anyone else has suggestions?

Could we make it so that different units spawn depending on what era it is?

Could we make it so that different units spawn depending on what era it is?

What do you mean by "different units spawn"?

Final Frontier has a function that generates barbarian units based on the part of the game it is. I could replicate it for Star Wars, and check based on eras. You'd have to give me a list of barbarian units to create though.

No I mean like the wookie. A different unit in all the eras starts in your capitol.

Oh. :blush:

Yes, I could implement that easily.

Have we come up with better starting units for all civilizations yet?

No but I'm going to ask in the unit thread for everyone elses ideas.

So I have a quick question about the mapscript (I haven't downloaded it yet, I want to keep my perspective as 'fresh' as possible for the moment).

Does it incorporate both land and space? If so, how is this done? Does space simply represent the 'sea' and land planets?

So I have a quick question about the mapscript (I haven't downloaded it yet, I want to keep my perspective as 'fresh' as possible for the moment).

Does it incorporate both land and space? If so, how is this done? Does space simply represent the 'sea' and land planets?

It does not include both land and sea (although, this would all be defined in the XML. All the mapscript does is place terrains defined in the XML as either sea or land in certain places). We've currently implemented it so that both space and planets are land, so that ships can be built in the center of a planet and move into space. However, this causes problems as the AI does not understand how to make "land transports" work. There was a project to make it work, but it was discovered this only worked when a transport and transportable unit crossed paths (the transportable unit was automatically loaded), and the project was postponed for now.

However, if you can make naval units able to move over land tiles as well in the SDK, the Orbital Space and Deep Space terrains can be turned into ocean with a simple XML change, and all space units can be turned into naval units, not land.

I guess this is a pretty important thing to work on... I should have probably mentioned it in the other thread.

What if we used "Air" units as ships instead of Naval units? Or perhaps a hybrid of both?

Land and air could cross land, air and naval could cross sea.

Land = Standard Units (stormies, etc)
Naval = Large, non-atmospheric vessels (Death Star, Capital Ships, etc)
Air = Smaller, atmosphere-capable vessels (X-wing, Y-wing, Tie Fighter, etc)

Most of the code is in place already for allowing transportation using this mechanism. Simply transform space into naval and all types of units should be able to somehow cross from land to land (though Naval will never be able to reach inland, just like in-game). This works out quite well in numerous contexts, from a 2-Dimensional point of view. If we were to go into a third dimension it WOULD require code work, but is definitely possible.

Alternatively, we code in a new domain type, Space. Solves all the issues just puts some work into its implementation.

That was one idea I had had to mess with the Domains. I found out that you had to go into the DLL to do it so I decided not to since I didn't have much knowledge at the time. I'll post what I would like you to do in the DLL Modding thread.

Land = Standard Units (stormies, etc)
Naval = Large, non-atmospheric vessels (Death Star, Capital Ships, etc)
Air = Smaller, atmosphere-capable vessels (X-wing, Y-wing, Tie Fighter, etc)

This seems like how it should be to me. Fighters and bombers should obviously be aircraft.

Top Bottom