1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Stationing Troops overseas

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Demo Game V: Citizens' started by ali, Nov 14, 2004.

1. Sir Donald III

Sir Donald III Emperor

Would you all consider my suggestion then? Creating a Base (Town) on the hills SW of Salzburg as a marshalling point for any future "Expeditionary" actions. The forces would stay in "Whale Hill Base" until such time as they are needed on the Continent. This base would have the Capabilities of sending forces to Northern China and Eastern Russia and the American Enclaves within a short time.

2. blackheart

blackheart unenlightened

Yes, good idea. Same lines as a naval deployment force.

3. Provolution

Provolution Sage of Quatronia

Well, at least I got support for that hill at the minimum :)

4. ali

ali Prince

okay ppl can u please put down your option, no more discussion past this point i intend to poll this now, thank you for your cooperation and interesting insights

5. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Night Elven Ghost Agent

Versailles City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    I agree with the idea of setteling in the areas that are open in these other nations. Thoguh we must ensure that the cities are far enough away to prevent a culture flip.

6. ali

ali Prince

thats not a bad idea id like these settlements to be supported by peacekeepers in america/Russia and hold the basic outline that General Provolotion put on...anyways blackheart and any1 else whom has already stated a option please restate it so i may poll it thank you

7. MOTH

MOTH Emperor

I don't like the exact location of this hill. I'd like to move it one tile to the SE. This will lose the whales but will get a Dyes on cultural expansion. Once we have a harbor and some roads this Dyes will help pay for this base by keeping everyone at home happy.

8. blackheart

blackheart unenlightened

Have a naval rapid deployment force stationed just outside of any nation's water borders in the New World.

9. ali

ali Prince

i know i said no discussion past this point if that plan goes ahead blackheart it doesnt allow much mobility for the navy

10. blackheart

blackheart unenlightened

And I am really puzzled by why you even say this, not to mention the fact that you already put up a poll then say this. Being at sea limits the mobility of ships? :confused:

11. ali

ali Prince

discussion reopened....yes it will limit the mobility of the navy because a number of ships will have to stay anchored off the coast of the new world effectively cutting down the navies operation range and effectiveness for other operations..thus its mobility is negatively effected.

12. blackheart

blackheart unenlightened

Build more ships, have the marine fleet patrol, etc.

13. Ashburnham

Ashburnham King

Exactly what operations do you forsee our navy performing besides stationing off the coast of other nations? To my mind, that is the operation our navy is here to perform.

14. ali

ali Prince

I was thinking on the lines of navy being a coastal defence rather than being a stationary force anchored off the coast of other nations

15. blackheart

blackheart unenlightened

I did say that we could have the ships patrolling the new world's coast. Fortifying them in one place isn't a bad idea either, saves the DP the hassle of moving all the ships and gives us a clear and consistent view of key points.

16. ali

ali Prince

i simply will not accept this idea of a expedient force anchored or patroling off the coast of the new world its simply a waste of naval resources which could be better used in the form of ironclads rather than committing so much on transport class vessals

17. blackheart

blackheart unenlightened

And how do you propose we get troops to the new world under your plan, let them swim? Either way, we need a lot of ships.

Ironclads are a waste of resources, they don't upgrade, galleons do. Before you continue about how such a fleet would be a waste, figure out what we would actually need in order to be an effective stopping force of invasions.

18. ali

ali Prince

when did i say that i never wanted transport class vessals I want only a limited number of them, with my plan a fair amount of troops will be already deployed in the new world. Reinforcements will come only come in limited numbers, thus the plan remains economical, are u sure i was under the impression that ironclads upgrade in the MSAV thread, as me and General Provolution has already stated the operational plans of stoppimg invasions

19. blackheart

blackheart unenlightened

I'm just assuming, as you did with my proposal.

With your plan we would have already expended a lot of time and energy to produce the troops and fortresses to place the troops in, more time than it would take to just make the galleons and troops. Economical security isn't going to win a war. Having a few troops there and sending in a sporadic trickle is going to have the same effect as having a moderate sized ready-to-deploy-anywhere force and having the abilities to quickly bring in reinforcements and ferry back troops.

20. ali

ali Prince

if you look at Gerneral Provolutions plans u will see that we have more than a few troops will be deployed there....my plan if for simply 4-8 fortresses thats not really that many and i dont think 8 divisions every 6 turns is someting to be called trickle reinforcements