Steam - love or hate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hate Steam!!!!
It is bloatware. I is no required for rnning of a game. Allow people to install it if they want. Online game servers are for multi players and not for key code verifications.
I have been around the IT industry for over 10 years and so many software providers use better methods than Steam to validate the softare installed.
Steam is Bloatware.

I hate using the internet when i am playing a single player game. i hate even more not having a choice. If i had the choice i wouldnt have a steam account. I wanted to play Civ5 so i had too.

I hate stuff I HAVE to do in general I guess. there is enough of that in life. my hobby's should be optional in every way.

I hate using the internet when i am playing a single player game. i hate even more not having a choice. If i had the choice i wouldnt have a steam account. I wanted to play Civ5 so i had too.

I hate stuff I HAVE to do in general I guess. there is enough of that in life. my hobby's should be optional in every way.

Please read the FAQ on Steam. You don't have to be online, there is an offline mode.

The main goal of Steam is still Digital Rights Management Access Control Technology.

Access control is a system which enables an authority to control access to areas and resources in a given computer-based information system.

It's amazing that people actually like (and love) having this stuff on their computer systems. I guess it's true you can make some people like anything, literally.

The main goal of Steam is still Digital Rights Management Access Control Technology.

Access control is a system which enables an authority to control access to areas and resources in a given computer-based information system.

It's amazing that people actually like (and love) having this stuff on their computer systems. I guess it's true you can make some people like anything, literally.

Oh hey look, I can read from Wikipedia too.

You really have no clue. At all. Can you tell us in which ways Steam enables an authority to control access to areas and resources in a given computer-based information system? Or did you just Wikipedia "DRM" leading to "acess control" and use those scary sounding words to scare-monger against Steam?

People have legitimate complaints about distribution platforms like Steam, but you aren't one of those people.

Oh hey look, I can read from Wikipedia too.

You really have no clue. At all. Can you tell us in which ways Steam enables an authority to control access to areas and resources in a given computer-based information system? Or did you just Wikipedia "DRM" leading to "acess control" and use those scary sounding words to scare-monger against Steam?

People have legitimate complaints about distribution platforms like Steam, but you aren't one of those people.

Scare-monger, scary words... :lol: You sound like a bloated politician making a pointless attack even though you know you are wrong and wikipedia is right.

So; Wikipedia is correct, and yea I grabbed it straight from there. If it is wrong, then make a wikipedia correction and quit your member bashing zimbu monkey-man.

Yet, you won't make a wiki correction, unless you break wiki rules and edit it with your false information.

Moderator Action: Trolling - warned
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Scare-monger, scary words... :lol: You sound like a bloated politician making a pointless attack even though you know you are wrong and wikipedia is right.

So; Wikipedia is correct, and yea I grabbed it straight from there. If it is wrong, then make a wikipedia correction and quit your member bashing zimbu monkey-man.

Yet, you won't make a wiki correction, unless you break wiki rules and edit it with your false information.

My point is that you blindly copied and pasted information without really understanding it.

Access control? This is your Armageddon scenario against Steam?

I mean Jesus Christ... at least read the article fully before jumping in frothing at the mouth and making a post. Why are you even posting here? Civfanatics employs an access control system to authenticate users. Oh my God... so do modern operating systems! Quick turn off your computer! Whoa... you have a lock on your front door! GET OUT THE HOUSE! YOUR FREEDOM IS IN DANGER!

EDIT: I never said the Wikipedia article was incorrect. I said that you don't understand the information and have interpreted what little you did understand in the most outrageous way possible.

Moderator Action: Saying someone is "frothing at the mouth" is a bit over the top. Make your point without attacking the other members. Warned for flaming

I'm having trouble finding where in the wikipedia article it even says that.

Little alone recalling Steam denying me access to any part of my computer.

Steam was created to allow as quick as possible delivery and application of patches to Counter-Strike players, and of coruse now also has a Store selling hundreds of games, DRM to try protect them (not that any DRM works, and as I've said VALVe is aware of that), in and out of game community features, web browser, stat tracking for some games, achievements,etc.

He doesn't understand what the article means.

He read the article for DRM, which links to the article for "Access control" and he copied and pasted from that.

Oh no... a digital distribution system authenticates your identity before granting access to the games! THIS IS THE END OF THE WORLD! Usernames and passwords!? NO WAY! NO DEVIL TRICKS FOR ME!

Oookay then.

There is very little access control in this DRM, you have to sign into Steam, and you don't need to be online to do it either.

Actually, you know what, I'm not even going to bother with tom, no more attention for him, its already getting ridiculous.

My point is that you blindly copied and pasted information without really understanding it.

Access control? This is your Armageddon scenario against Steam?

I mean Jesus Christ... at least read the article fully before jumping in frothing at the mouth and making a post. Why are you even posting here? Civfanatics employs an access control system to authenticate users. Oh my God... so do modern operating systems! Quick turn off your computer! Whoa... you have a lock on your front door! GET OUT THE HOUSE! YOUR FREEDOM IS IN DANGER!

Assumptions from Zimbu the monkey man. I 'blindly'. How the hell do you know if I blindly copied or not. Prove that. So you make a statement that is obviously False, then you make more assumptions that you can't back up.

I never said freedom is in danger or lock your door; I simply stated some facts from Wikipedia. Sounds like you are the fear-monger now with crazy speech like that. A hypocrite also?

Please stay civilized here and avoid statements with false information.

Moderator Action: Trolling is not being civilized
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

If you find something incorrect on that website, correct it with valid information. No one ever said Steam denies you parts of your computer. Zimbu is making it look worse than it is... why is MonkeyMan doing that? No one knows; there's alot of hatefulness coming from poor Zimbu.

I'll just leave this one be. And we will wait and see if Zimbu, who apparently knows so much, corrects Wikipedia that is just (apparently) stock full of lies, deceit, and fear-mongering. :lol: OMG! Too funny. :lol:

Moderator Action: if you cannot post without trolling, don't post

If you find something incorrect on that website, correct it with valid information. No one ever said Steam denies you parts of your computer. Zimbu is making it look worse than it is... why is MonkeyMan doing that? No one knows; there's alot of hatefulness coming from poor Zimbu.

I'll just leave this one be. And we will wait and see if Zimbu, who apparently knows so much, corrects Wikipedia that is just (apparently) stock full of lies, deceit, and fear-mongering. :lol: OMG! Too funny. :lol:

This was your original message:

You copied and pasted a segment from the "access control" article from Wikipedia. You then used that segment as an argument against installing Steam. You go on to say that "it's true you can make people like anything" when there are probably over 50 pieces of software on your computer right now that use "access control", and that's not even counting the websites your frequent that have authentication systems. I want you to explain to us what about "access control" mechanisms is so abhorrent that you find it incredible that people use, like (or even love) Steam.

Stop trying to imply that I find the article incorrect, it isn't incorrect. My argument is not that the information found on Wikipedia is misleading or wrong. Just explain to us in simple terms what you meant with your original post.

EDIT: I find it really amusing that you keep calling me "monkey man" and yet you say I'm the one out of line when I all I want is for you to explain your argument clearly.

No one ever said access control was abhorrent except for you just right now. Furthermore, access control doesn't mean it controls your whole computer Zimbu, you should know that because you use Steam all the time, as do I on occasion. We both know that.

So again, now you magically don't find the article incorrect; so what are you going on about?

Plus, you ask everyone in all of your posts things like:
"What did you mean?"
"Elaborate on what you are talking about?"
"Why did you say that? What does it mean?"
"Explain why you mentioned that?"
"What does that have to do with that?"

It's constant. If you can't figure out things so simple, I'm not going to bother telling you. We live in the age of information, if you can't research information for yourself, then don't expect others to do for you, what you should do for yourself. I won't contribute to laziness (in general, not saying you are).

And I wasn't bashing Steam, just saying it's bottom line is DRM (and digital distribution is a major component); and I'm puzzled how some can like it to the extent that they do (because it's bottom like is DRM only with icing), although I really don't care that much, it was just a passing thought.

I'm going to double down on my previous observation that you don't really have a clue. You can't even tell me in simple terms what about access control you don't like and how Steam uses it in a way that makes you wonder why people like the platform and decide to use it.

This is just sad so I'm going to withdraw from the conversation.

Moderator Action: Please don't troll other users.

I'm going to double down on my previous observation that you don't really have a clue. You can't even tell me in simple terms what about access control you don't like and how Steam uses it in a way that makes you wonder why people like the platform and decide to use it.

This is just sad so I'm going to withdraw from the conversation.

Again more assumptions, hate speech, and attacks. Zimbu always asks the same question "What do you mean", even to simple questions.

Zimbu, seems you can't understand the definition of DRM or Access Control... so if you want to be enlightened, go to school and learn it. I'm not your teacher.

I never said anything bad about Steam, just said that DRM is it's bottom line function. You are making the rest up (lying), making assumptions (lying), throwing out hate speech, and acting like a Zimbu the Monkey.

The definition of Access Control from wiki is in simple terms, yet you can't even understand that. :lol: Hell, read the rest of the wiki article if you want to know what it means! I know it might be hard to ask for help, but at least be honest about it.

In fact, there is very little I dislike about Steam, most of it is fine with me. My main problem is the way some of their subscriber agreements are written up, and some of their terms.

Moderator Action: Flaming/Trolling - warned

I pre-ordered Civ 5, so I didn’t know that I was forced to use Steam. If I had known I hadn’t bought the game.
I loved the Total War games and have bought all, except the add-on for Empire. And it’s because of the troubles I have had with Steam.
So, no more Civ or Total War games for me.
If I buy a hard copy of a game I expect it’s just to install it on my hard drive and then play. Not to be forced to have an internet connection to Steam or any other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom