Steam pay now policy

You pay dearly for the pre-order 'Bonus'. In which case it should more clearly be called a pre-order 'Penalty to your bank account' that you pay for now to get nothing for several months.

It's very rare for DVD drives to go bad from spinning a disc. It is what they were made to do. I like having disc's just to have them. I hang them on the wall and use them to set my soda on. ;)

What, I'm silly because I actually like working with my computer? I'm a computer science major hoping to have a career in IT. It would be bad if I didn't like geeky stuff like that.

I'm also the type of person that considers installing windows and setting the computer up for the first time to be fun.

An installation is an installation. Theres no need to romanticise or feel nostalgic for the act of putting a bit of plastic in a drive.

Oddly enough I'm pre-ordering a physical copy myself as theres this Danish bulk buyer that gives ridiculously cheap pre-order deals and I don't value the extra content available elsewhere highly.

Generally, burning DVD's is drive intensive and will cause a DVD to bite the dust much quicker than a drive used just for reading data.

Some claim a few hundred burns, some claim a few thousand burns. Reading data only and the drive should last an incredibly long time. So, having a disc required to play is not detrimental to a drive, it is just annoying to have to find the disc (for me).

I might buy Civ 5 twice, to get the digital deluxe 'Penalties' and at the store to get the box. I will put Civ 5 DVD in my drive while playing even if it doesn't use the disc!

An installation is an installation. Theres no need to romanticise or feel nostalgic for the act of putting a bit of plastic in a drive.

Interesting comment. What do you say about the phenomenon of people posting videos of "unboxings" on sites like youtube?
Putting in a game disc into a PC or console is one part of the initial process someone goes through with a game, when they are excited about it. I'm not surprised at all that someone passionate about games enjoys the act of putting a disc in the drive. Ha, that almost sounds dirty.:lol:
Eating food is mainly about putting fuel and nutrients into your body, yet we romanticize about that and a chef is a professional occupation. :)

Interesting comment. What do you say about the phenomenon of people posting videos of "unboxings" on sites like youtube?
Putting in a game disc into a PC or console is one part of the initial process someone goes through with a game, when they are excited about it. I'm not surprised at all that someone passionate about games enjoys the act of putting a disc in the drive. Ha, that almost sounds dirty.:lol:
Eating food is mainly about putting fuel and nutrients into your body, yet we romanticize about that and a chef is a professional occupation. :)

Thx PoM, as a chef, I salute you :thanx:

I think that the digital downloads like steam on the surface are a good idea to protect the companies making the games and for the user to have their games available without the worry of disks and the like.

Saying that i am now really unsure about steam being used for ciV and TW games which are the main games i play as i recently have bought a cheaper game which didn't work after the download and it took 3 weeks of going back and forth with tech support to get the game working for me.

That is unacceptable, and as such i wanted my money back to buy a game i could play there and then which they just would not do.

But i guess the thing they work on is that enough people continue to use the service so it will continue to be used by more and more companies on release and i really wanna play ciV so ill just probably buy it despite my disgust at they way you get treated if something goes wrong

It's crazy you have to pay for it now and get nothing for several months. Not even a discount.

It's almost like a Kmart Layaway plan, pay the store until you pay the full amount, then get the item. At least with that, you actually get something immediately when paid in full.

When you preorder from Best Buy or Gamestop, do you put the minimum down? Do they charge you for that minimum. Or do you just hope to get lucky they have a copy reserved for you? I'm buying the game anyway, might as well have the money taken now than later when i may not be able to control my bank balance. It also prevents denials of CC's at launch and having users without the means to pay with the game data to distribute.

Pre-ordering through STEAM does help them in the same way pre-ordering from a retail chain is helped by your pre-order. They can use the information to better divert network traffic during the launch of a game to minimize issues at launch. Or even acquire more severs to accomidate the traffic. Plus, while retail buyers are installing, i'll be playing hours before you will be.

Ordered Civ 5 from Steam a few days ago and they deduct my account £39.99 now, no receipt sent, I only discovered this when looking at my bank account. I complained to Steam about this deduction, months before the game is released. They say it is their usual practice, but I think this sucks. I am sure Gamersgate do not do this. Anyone else had this problem with Steam? I would usually order from Play.com but this option is not available.
GamersGate does it too as I am sure any other digital distributor.

Yea, but the difference is; store's have limited supplies. A digital download has no limited supply. Bandwidth can't really be counted as a limited supply. They can have enough bandwidth setup in expectations of sales and pre-orders purchased on their 170,000 servers.

It's just as easy to charge you on the day you receive the product for download as it is to do it several months ahead of time. I understand they want all your money now though, so it makes sense for a place like Take 2 who has ongoing lawsuits from things like back-dating stock options scandals, filing false information to the SEC, and shareholders pressing ahead with civil claims; to do this.

Perhaps they need to pay their lawyer fees.

Top Bottom