Steam pay now policy

Tony.Uk

TonyUK
Ordered Civ 5 from Steam a few days ago and they deduct my account £39.99 now, no receipt sent, I only discovered this when looking at my bank account. I complained to Steam about this deduction, months before the game is released. They say it is their usual practice, but I think this sucks. I am sure Gamersgate do not do this. Anyone else had this problem with Steam? I would usually order from Play.com but this option is not available.

Whatever you do, don't cancel the charge. Steam don't take kindly to that. If you want the money back then cancel your pre-order through Steam.

The advantage of the Steam pre-order is you can download an encrypted version of Civ5 in the week before release and on the exact hour of release it gets unencrypted.

I've read from Steam users, that even should the game not work for whatever reason, you cannot get a refund. And if you cancel the transaction in whats called a charge back, Steam will close your account and you will lose All your games. Don't know what Steam would do in the unlikely case of Civ5 not shipping altogether.

There's usually about a $10 fee from the card provider to the vendor for a chargeback. And CBs are very hard for the vendor to fight, even if they have a very legitimate argument.

Yeah, but that's why it upsets them. They're about impossible to fight; it costs them money; and many of the more more unscroupulous "customers" out there buy product, file a CB saying that they didn't get it, and keep the money plus the goods. It ticks me off too, having to deal with this sort of thing every day.

I don't like the idea of Steam closing out your account and losing access to your games. I'm curious as to the legal aspect of this. According to the agreement, are they selling you a license, the software, or what?

While I can understand the annoyance of receiving a CB, the cancellation of your account seems childish. Until I understand this more, I'm not pre-ording.

Speaking of pre-ordering, what do you mean about the encrypted version? Is it playable, or just a pre-install so when its released, you instantly have a copy of it ready?

When you unjustly file a chargeback against a company, you're in essence stealing from them.

I don't like the idea of Steam closing out your account and losing access to your games. I'm curious as to the legal aspect of this. According to the agreement, are they selling you a license, the software, or what?
I don't know the legality but I'm sure there'll be some clause in the EULA that lets them close your account for any reason they want.

While I can understand the annoyance of receiving a CB, the cancellation of your account seems childish. Until I understand this more, I'm not pre-ording.
Because if they didn't close your account (and I assume no longer allow that card to make payments) then what would happen is people would download a game, complete it quickly, chargeback and get their money back while costing Steam bandwidth and the CB fee.

You can still cancel a Steam pre-order to get a refund, you just do it through Steam and not by a chargeback.

Speaking of pre-ordering, what do you mean about the encrypted version? Is it playable, or just a pre-install so when its released, you instantly have a copy of it ready?
Its not playable, its a pre-install.

When you unjustly file a chargeback against a company, you're in essence stealing from them.

I've never filed a chargeback before and I had to google it to be certain what it was. While I can agree with the above on something you've purchased, I disagree that it pertains to all matters. I can see situations where it would come in handy.

Legally speaking, though the vendor is forced to return the money, I would think the vendor could legally file charges against the individual who filed for the CB.

I'm still curious about Steams return/refund policy. Rumor has it that its bad, but I prefer to hear from personal experience.

Whats the point of initiating legal proceedings to recover $40?

I've no personal experience but my understanding of the Steam refund/return policy is that they don't do them except for pre-orders.

Chargebacks can be abused, but they can be used for valid reasons. It's a tool.

The fact that Steam blackmails you over chargebacks is one of my complaints against Steam, and the reason for my reluctance to spend money beyond bargain bin on them.

The Steam Sunshine Squad would disagree.

Ordered Civ 5 from Steam a few days ago and they deduct my account £39.99 now, no receipt sent, I only discovered this when looking at my bank account. I complained to Steam about this deduction, months before the game is released. They say it is their usual practice, but I think this sucks. I am sure Gamersgate do not do this. Anyone else had this problem with Steam? I would usually order from Play.com but this option is not available.
Yet another reason why I'm waiting until just before the release date before making a pre-order. By that time play.com will surely have the pre-order option (even if it isn't without the cool extra map you get with steam).

Chargebacks can be abused, but they can be used for valid reasons. It's a tool.

The fact that Steam blackmails you over chargebacks is one of my complaints against Steam, and the reason for my reluctance to spend money beyond bargain bin on them.

The Steam Sunshine Squad would disagree.

By blackmail, you mean they take reasonable precautions to ensure people don't steal from them.

Am I the only one who thinks this thread belongs in some Steam/Valve forum? Or at least in one of the million other Steam threads already in this forum...

Don't intend to backseat mod here, but I'm getting a bit tired of new Steam threads now... Especially when they're not even specific to Civ5. Valve's payment policies? Come on.

By blackmail, you mean they take reasonable precautions to ensure people don't steal from them.

A precaution is an action that is taken in advance to head off an impending problem.

What Steam is doing here is more of a deterrent, in that they are threatening a future action (the account suspension) that will happen after the event (the chargeback), and as a response to it. Unfortunately the threat of that action deters all use of chargebacks not just those that are wrongful; it effectively deters customers with valid complaints from exercising their statutory rights.

A reasonable and effective deterrent should deter the illegal/harmful activity without affecting those that are honest and are themselves being treated unfairly.
Steam's current policy may be effective (by some measures) but it is far from reasonable; it also appears to be of questionable legality but until challenged there is no way to know.

Just because something is written in a contract/license doesn't mean it is (or indeed should be) legal/enforceable, i.e. it doesn't matter if you agree to give up your rights voluntarily, some rights you simply cannot give up. Unfortunately (in many countries) the actual facts of a legal case are of less importance than the depth of the protagonists pockets, and corporations (including Steam) use this fact to effectively bully consumers into submission.

In the US organizations like the EFF will support consumers on issues related to digital products but it is an uphill battle. They are active in many areas including intellectual property laws and subjects that have been debated here extensively recently such as those related to the "right of first sale" and unfair licensing agreements.
For example, here is an interesting case being supported by the EFF around the whole ownership vs. license argument for video games. (The link is from last year, but the 9th circuit are due to rule on this next week.)

Intresting read mjs0. I hope they win the appeal. However, if they do, I could see steam starting a new trend of "leasing" games. Pay 50$, then 5 cents a year from then on for your lease. Just a thought.... Lets hope not.

If you preorder game from Steam you can cancel it (before release of that game) via Steam Support and get all your money back.

Steam sometimes allow refunds, but its rare.

Chargebacks arent allowed thanks to people who try to steal from Valve by buying game, play it for some time and after that do chargeback. Another common reason for closing entire Steam account is when user pay for game by stolen credit card.

Also in cases of chargebacks vendor gets hit by fee of up to 200 dollars (most of the time is 10-20 but I know of several cases where it was 200).

I view chargebacks as a reasonable precaution against Steam accidentally adding a 0 to the bill.

3 posts above is my stance on the issue.

Top Bottom