Steph strikes again: Ancient units conversion collection

Iain McNeil said:
If you had asked permission to use our artwork it may have been granted. It was not. What do you intend to do about this?

We are a small independent developer and times are hard enough without things like this happening.

Iain McNeil
Director
Slitherine Software
Developers of Legion, Chariots of War & Spartan
http://www.slitherine.co.uk

Dr. Mr. McNeil,

You have my complete sympathy -- with the caveat that, without Steph's postings, I would never have heard of your games, which look very interesting (imagine, gang, City View screens that work! ;) ) and which I shall now probably purchase -- to some significant degree, they look like what some of the "Conquests" should and could have been.

Best Regards,

Ozymandias

Rufus T.Firefly said:
I hope that mr. McNeil rethink to his decisions. And a little curiosity: how he know CFC and Steph conversion?

The games look to be very Civ-like, albeit centered on a certain area/period. It wouldn't surprise me if some of his people were Civ players.

-Oz

If you would be allowed to post these, I would be giving lots of thanks to both you and Slitherin Software, for these are units which I really need (Especially the Assyrian ones and the Onager Chariot, but, to a lesser extent, the Roman Velite as well). I hope this thing can be worked out for the better. :)

Hmm... I may be able to resurrect the Peloponnesian war scenario...It won't have all the custom units, but hey, these have some good subs.;)

Damned shame old bean. I was really looking foward to those units they are quite brilliant. I have heard of sliverine software before and on many occation thought of buying sparta and wot-not. But i was waiting to get some spare money sorted. Also i was going to wait to see what stephs convertions looked like before I comiited to a purchase. But fear not dear heart I will definitely buy said games as point of pleasure come next payday.

Fare thee well.

Mallek the Seraphim

These are very cool......where/when will we be able to get them?

You should really remove the free publicity that you're giving out to the company, Steph, in the interest of fairness.

As I said, I've send an email to Iain McNeil with 3 options:
- I completly forget it and ask moderators to close this thread
- I release the version of SBB I used to make the conversion with proper instructions, so people who own the games can make them for their own usage.
- They authorize the conversion and I finish it.

I'm waiting for their answer. In the meantime, I don't see why I should remove the free publicity. Whatever their answer, I think their games could be interested for some other people here who are interested in historical wargames. And they are right, I should not have post it in the first place without checking in the authorization suggested by Feanor previous post was more than my own interpretation.

I've always fought to give proper credits to the original creators of graphics in my other conversion, when some thought I made the animations, I won't stop now.

Nope!

Steph said:
I've always fought to give proper credits to the original creators of graphics in my other conversion, when some thought I made the animations, I won't stop now.

Bravo! (and did you know messages now have to be at least 10 characters long? :D )

-Oz

Legion is a great game, if a bit simple, I dig it out every now and then for a play, i was kind of excited to see these units being converted, I hope it does pan out, you never know ;)

Legion though is one of the few games other than CIV and NWN that I have bought and didn't wonder later why I spent the $$ ;)

I really hope things work out. I would love to see these as units.

Good Lord! I had trouble breathing seeing those unit previews!!!! I was ****ting my pants. Going up to heaven...

...and then coming crashing down to something like Earth, purgatory or whatever. DAMN! Now I feel a little weepy! :(

I would never have heard of this Slitherin's company's game were it not for this thread, and I'm likely going to hunt it down at the earliest opportunity. I sure hope they allow Steph to continue with the conversions, though... OMG!!!

Their games do look quite interesting. I'm impressed. Would be a shane still if the units are not converted. I could use a few of these. Like I always say though, these convertions ,when given proper credit, are excellent advertisements for good products. I never knew what War Hammer was till the mod was made and now several of my friends who tried out the mod, including myself are looking into buying armies. Some of my friends already started to. I see no money loss here for Slitheran, and quite possibly a few more customers.

Hm Mr McNeil,
I'm sure you have stopped reading this thread, but if you do Sir.
I was about to buy some of your games. They looked very good and cool.
However if you count pennies like that I wonder if these games would be supported in the future.
I feel for the little company, but consider be great and you will get many more buyers of your games. The publisity you have gotten from this have indeed already given you tons of cash.
Your company has been known by a huge mass of gamers and it will spread even faster than you can think.

It's not only the fine graphics of your units but the game itself I think. It seams to have a lot that Civ3 lack so it will be a good complement to Civ3, or wise versa.
I think games like Total Wars (of all kinds) have a competitor, but not Civ3.
So Mr McNeill be gracious and see what Steph can do for this huge gaming comunity.

Respectfully yours
Cemo

That would be very nice units for civ mods. But it's their artwork, it's their copyright. Making software is a business after all. I don't think anyone can complain that they don't allow the conversion to fit another games format. Common, be realistic. Sure it would be nice to get their approval but that would be an exceptional case, not the other way round.

To threaten not to purchase their games because of this is rather pathetic, Atari would never ever allow something like that and they would not post in a forum either but send their lawyers straight away. German translation anyone...?

I must confess though, if it weren't for this thread I probably would have never get to know their games which look very interesting to me and certainly will be on my shopping list no matter if they allow the conversion or not ;).

Very well said Ariks. They perfectly have the right to allow or not conversion of their games. Making such animations takes time. It took me a full week of work to simply convert them, and I had specific tools to help me! And as everybody knows time is money.

So if they allow conversion, we will all be happy. If they do not, well, I hope you will try their games, enjoy them and be happy to!

Eitheir way, let's be :) , not :(

I'll be :sad: if they don't, but I still plan to buy their games and check them out.

I'd buy their games if I had a pretty good idea that they didn't suck, and if I could find out somewhere on their website what the system requirements are (my computer isn't exactly top-o-the-line). The single Amazon.com review of Chariots isn't very positive. I wouldn't buy the games for the sole reason of converting their units to play on my own personal mod, either. I think I'm going to be more :( than :) because I've wanted pretty much every single unit that Steph posted here more than pretty much everything else put together. Assyrians, the Onager Chariot, Celtic Chariot, Gestatae, Celtiberian, Velite, Auxiliaries, Sea People, Skythians, and more besides! :cry:

Top Bottom