1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Stiel´s Capitol Isolating War-strategy

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by WUM, Nov 14, 2001.

1. Gengis Khan

Gengis Khan Deity

Stiel's Capitol Isolation Strategy is IMHO almost useless as written, do to a very important yet unintentional misundertanding.

However, (again IMHO)the biggest advantage to isolating the capitol from the rest of the empire is that cities not connected to the capitol are more corrupt then cities connected. Isolate their capitol & corruption in the rest of the empire will spike(which strangely the strategy didn't mention).

2. axehaxe

axehaxe Prince

I tried the capitol isolation strategy and it doesn't work. Maybe in Steil's game, a resource had been directly underneath the enemy's capitol and when he isolated it, the resource got cut off from the entire empire. Almost in every game I play, resources end up underneath cities.

3. Ringo Kid

Ringo Kid Prince

I think disconnecting the capitol from the trade network only prevents international trade. But thats still a valid tactic if if your enemy is getting a lot of lux's or resources from around the world. Doubly so because it also disrupts all your competition, all the other nations with which he was trading, not just the one you are at war with. And if you happen to have extras of the lux or resource that your enemy also supplies to the rest of the world, you could further add to your war chest by stealing his customers. I like it, its really nasty.

It would be an improvement to the strat, I think, if you also pillaged the road network leading to the sources of the lux/resource at the same time. Or took the town that supplied the lux/resource, even better. Then when you sign peace, you might even have a monopoly on the resource or luxury. In any event you would be in a stronger position lux/resource-wise than when you started the war.
    I think its a strong strategy.

4. Ringo Kid

Ringo Kid Prince

Question: When you break a trade, the human player, because you lose a luxury in combat, your reputation suffers. Does that also happen to the AI ?

5. Wejer

Wejer Mentor

6. JoDasGreat

JoDasGreat Chieftain

Many Capitals have harbors..... they still have trade!!!

7. vmxa

vmxa Deity

That would allow the capitol to have the resources, but not towns without a harbor as they would not be on the grid any longer (there is no grid now). Even with no harbor, the capitol could build units that either need no resources or capitol is sitting on the needed resource.

8. shl7070

shl7070 Warlord

I looked on that subject.
    I don't see how this strategy could work except to raise corruption in other cities. The cities doesn't need to be connected to capital to get resources. In my recent game I gobbled up a small continent with 8 cities and some resources. No city had harbour. The 8 cities shared the resources found on the continent (but not with the rest of my empire). I don't see how isolating my capital could change the goings in them and I believe this work for the AI. In addition in c3c the palace is also a harbor so there is no way to destroy a harbor in coastal capital.

9. CKS

CKS Deity

The cities need to be connected to the capital to get resources that are traded for, not local ones.

10. JoDasGreat

JoDasGreat Chieftain

To Make a point.. I was playing my own mod as the scotts and I was in the ancient era. I conquered every city exept for London and 2 1-plot island cities which I imediately traded for peace w/ english. One time that it works (london had no harbor)