Still having trouble editing...

Quasar

elitist custom user title
I haven't touched Civ3 (Gold 1.21g) for quite some time, and now that I wanted to get involved again, I found that all the problems I had more than two years ago, which eventually led to me giving up, frustratedly, are still there.

Aside from the usual Civ3Edit bug wich clears some fields and doesn't save the changes from time to time, I'm now having serious problems with the PediaIcons.txt when adding new units... I don't know what I'm doing wrong; all names, files, paths etc. are correct. The Civilopedia entries created with the units are all spelled correctly, no spaces. The format is correct. And still: Civ3 crashes whenever I want to start/load a game. I know it must be linked to the PediaIcons.txt file, because if I replace it with the original file the game is working again. (The content of Civilopedia.txt seems irrelevant, at least it never caused a crash so far).

Example:

#ICON_PRTO_U-Boot_Typ_XXI
art\civilopedia\icons\units\210UboatXXILarge.pcx
art\civilopedia\icons\units\210UboatXXISmall.pcx

I put the new units behind the originally existing ones, nothing else was changed. Either I'm missing something very basic or the program simply hates me. And don't ask to re-check for typos... I've done that about a dozen times by now... ;)

Any help would really be appreciated.

I'm sorry if a problem like this one has been posted here before, but a search in the forum didn't turn up results that helped me.

The old MacGold version of Civ3 was sensitive to the line endings in edited text files. If you edited the PediaIcons.txt file using a Mac editor without due care and attention you can guarantee to crash it.

Line endings have to be DOS format: CR/LF. Mac editors typically don't do this. They put CR (return) only. Unix editors default to LF (line feed) only.

That's why I created a modded version of TextEdit all those years ago, still linked in my signature. Alternatively, use BBEdit or Xcode and set the appropriate preferences.

HTH

PS Why did you think it might be any different two years later, using the same software?

Well, it seems that the Texteditor I used on my old mac didn't produce this problem, so I never bothered... (which is also why I never heard of your modified Textedit) Back then it was Civ3Edit that chewed my nerves off. ;)

Anyway, I'll try your little tool - it'll probably do the trick.
Thanks a lot AlanH, you're truly the good angel on these boards for all us tormented (yet proud ;) ) Macsoft-victims.

P.S.: I knew that I would feel stupid at some point in this thread... :D

Top Bottom