Stop the Presses!

"Since there really hasn't been any technological advances in coding types since Civ4, my guess is that Civ5 is just gunna be a very innovative, fast and pretty-looking Civ4."

Reading thsi in hindsight makes me sad.

I would have thought that the two parts of the quoted sentence are contradictory. (If I understand what "advances in coding types" means)
I would say:
Since there were no new programming ways developed, the new game would not be faster, more hardware efficient etc; at most it would have new gameplay-type innovations.

Actually, it's a new (well actually rather old) philosophy of programming that is required. A philosophy of avoiding bloatware, programs that run on merit of hardware not of programming genius.

That is why I won't even try the new Civ5 mods for some years, but going to try running Civ4 RoM etc. Waay better.

I would have thought that the two parts of the quoted sentence are contradictory. (If I understand what "advances in coding types" means)
I would say:
Since there were no new programming ways developed, the new game would not be faster, more hardware efficient etc; at most it would have new gameplay-type innovations.

Actually, it's a new (well actually rather old) philosophy of programming that is required. A philosophy of avoiding bloatware, programs that run on merit of hardware not of programming genius.

That is why I won't even try the new Civ5 mods for some years, but going to try running Civ4 RoM etc. Waay better.

In coding types I meant coding languages such as Fortran vs C# vs C++ each newer code faster and more versatile than the last. Where from Civ 4 to Civ 5, C++ is still the mainly used coding language. At it's base it is a faster, more innovative and pretty-looking civ4 in the sense that they know more about how to code such a game with C++ than they did with 4. Not only that but they can make the engine take advantage of the computers civ5 runs on to the full RAM, Processor and graphics capabilities of the computer without being forced to hold back. Multithreading is one such capability.

Yeah, I bet civ 5 is faster : less units, less factors to calculate each turn for cities...etc
One can wonder if they made any progress on the coding itself.

Top Bottom