Strategy discussion

For conquering China as Mongolia:

- First raze all Chinese cities in you flip zone like Baotou, except Jinzhou
- Then conquer or raze Beijing (I usually raze it)
- Then conquer and defenitely keep: Xian and Qufu
- Then conquer Guiyang and Lasa

- If stability allows it: conquer Hangzhou and Yangzhou

Has anyone tried the persian UHV with the new immortals? Sorry if this is an old question, but I've been away from Civ4 for a while and just came back to it not too long ago...

Anyway, I can get pretty close to world domination at 8%, but it's much more difficult that in used to be... (Didn't immortals used to be horses?) I'm all for the new accuracy though... :)

Finally, do vassal's count as total percentage of land area? I may have just answered my own question, since I just failed an attempt where I had 7.3% plus 1.2% vassals (Egypt and Ethiopia)... Total land area was 8.4% at deadline and I still failed... :-(

It's easier and harder at the same time really... (I'm going to try again tonight.) Easier because of the advantage against archers, i.e. Bayblon and Egypt (if you hit them before they secure the copper.) Harder with the limited movement... Roads are much more important now...

This has probably been asked before, but does anyone know whether Istanbul counts for the Balkan and/or Black Sea cities for Turkey's UHV? I have 3 Black Sea cities besides Istanbul, but I only have Atina and Bosna Saraj in the Balkans, and I'd like to know whether I've screwed myself over.

Never mind. Played past 1700 and the UHV counted. Istanbul counts for both the Balkans and the Black Sea, I think.

How do you found Christianity with Ethiopia?

How do you found Christianity with Ethiopia?

If you're lucky with getting a religion spread to you then you can build a temple and hire a priest and hope that you can get a GP in time for bulbing theology. You could also max out your science output, perhaps with a library and two scientists, and get theology the old fashioned way.
I recall that someone also suggested conquering Egypt and then Jerusalem, but I'm not sure how is that supposed to work (Christianity doesn't get auto-founded in Jerusalem if a regular civ is controlling it AFAIK).

You have to wait for start with already 2 shrines in Dehli. Found cities on coast, build navy, hire mercenaries and conquer Dehli. With 2 shrines you can easy born GP.

Heh you can try it self. ;) Just one of many tactics, and even not mine. Forgot who posted it, but IMO easiest one to get even two religions as Ethiopia.

Does anyone know how to stay stable when settling Africa? I always collapse around 1700-1800. And all my cities had courthouses, jails, and security bureaus.

I meant Ethiopia, because the only guide in the strategy guides section says you must settle Africa to prevent colonization.

You should conquer native cities like Mombasa, Quelimane and Mbanza Kongo and colonize hotspots like Cape of Good Hope and the Sofala-Winburg area.
Just don't combine it with conquering Egypt and Carthage, that's too much...

The UHV was only Sub-Equatorial Africa, so I left Carthage and Mali alone. But I conquered Egypt for the Pyramids, Stonehenge, the Temple of Artemis, the Temple of Solomon, and the Moai Statues, as well as an easy way to get a Great Prophet for Theology (78 turns on Viceroy). And Stone and Marble for the Great Wall and other wonders. And what if you get that one "enemy forces were nice to our wounded, let's make peace" event with the Natives?

Has anyone tried the persian UHV with the new immortals? Sorry if this is an old question, but I've been away from Civ4 for a while and just came back to it not too long ago...

Settlers are the best land unit for Persian and Mongolian UHVs.

Does anyone know how to stay stable when settling Africa? I always collapse around 1700-1800. And all my cities had courthouses, jails, and security bureaus.

You can place units instead of cities (which AnotherPacifist called, "the great glowing wall of Oromo Warriors").

Spoiler :

Heh you can try it self. ;) Just one of many tactics, and even not mine. Forgot who posted it, but IMO easiest one to get even two religions as Ethiopia.
You can start whit Egypt and get some prophet wonders and then capture it with Ethiopia, easiest way I've found (Also one I made up on my own ;))

I found great artists useful for occupying africa as ethiopia. Using them you can get all the area you need with 2 or 3 cities.

It's easier and harder at the same time really... (I'm going to try again tonight.) Easier because of the advantage against archers, i.e. Bayblon and Egypt (if you hit them before they secure the copper.) Harder with the limited movement... Roads are much more important now...

Immortals ALWAYS had the advantage vs Archers, since Civ4 Vanilla 1.0. The old immortals were much more powerful IMHO, since they also had a bonus vs axemen, while the new one have a pretty useless bonus vs mounted.

Top Bottom