Strategy discussion

I myself consider Mongolia and America easier on 3000bc starts.Mongolia cos China could be harrased by barbs most of the game,and America cos Europe's techs are more on par with yours.
Other civs i'm wondering about whats start is better are Arabia,Turkey,France, and Germany,though i would be happy for others.

I guess it also depends on if your going for UHV or not, too...

If you are going for UHV I prefer:

Arabia and France IMO are better to do a 600AD start. Arabia is easier to research in 600AD start, and France is better because there's less of a chance the Notre Dame gets built by another civ (like if Greece or Persia or Rome is still alive in the 3000BC start.) Germany is good too - since you can get even better production with the AP with Christianity - but it's not necessary since you already have great production.

Both Turkey and Germany have plusses for both 3000BC and 600AD, though I normally prefer to do 600AD with Turkey because I don't want to wait through 10 re-loads from 3000BC - 1280AD if the start isn't good. Like the above poster said 600AD is much more reliable - so for Turkey that's good enough for me.

I always found on 600ad that Byzantium always built Notre Dame.

What about England? Currently i prefer 600ad for them,just cos less time to have to wait for it to load,since nothing in 300bc afects them.Am i right?

I always found on 600ad that Byzantium always built Notre Dame.

What about England? Currently i prefer 600ad for them,just cos less time to have to wait for it to load,since nothing in 300bc afects them.Am i right?

Yes. For England the only thing better in 600AD is that it takes less time to load.
Actually, for 600AD in general, the rest of the Euro civs will be more powerful - that would make the civ you're playing slightly harder, but not too much.

As Arabia, I always conquer Byzantion before they build Notre Dame. Then often Germany, Spain or Netherlands build it. Sometimes Russia or England, but never France...

Has anyone managed to get theology first as Ethiopia with the final version (without "cheating" that is, includes civ switching)?
Seems that any neutral city can get it now (have even seen the Celt cities in France found Christianity) so any Civ collapse adds to potential founding cities :(

What bugs me is that the neighbours UB (Obelisk, assign priests) would be perfect for ensuring the religion but poor Zara is stuck with +culture :D

All in all, the final version has sorted a lot of the quirks although the tech rate is absolutely insane if Rome, Greece or Persia survives. Worst case I have seen was Greece circumnavigating shortly after Portuguese spawn and grabbing Liberalism in 1200 or so.

I never got theology without switching civs.

But if you want to,play Rome,conquer greece and keep your tech tree as far awar as possible from theology.Then switch to Ethiopia.No one will research theology any time soon.

All in all, the final version has sorted a lot of the quirks although the tech rate is absolutely insane if Rome, Greece or Persia survives. Worst case I have seen was Greece circumnavigating shortly after Portuguese spawn and grabbing Liberalism in 1200 or so.

Japan will always be my tech nemesis.
Also I did it with Ethiopia once to get Theology. I forgot how. It involved building a wonder and assigned 2 priests or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usi
Settlers are the best land unit for Persian and Mongolian UHVs.

Funny, in my experience they can't attack and they absolutely suck at defense.

You can capture them, but then they turn into ordinary workers.

That brings me to a new idea: Slave units

If you capture workers or setters they turn into slaves that can give a one-time hammer bonus to a city or they can be used as workers for 10 turns, then they die.

If Natives, Barbarians or Aztecs acquire a slave, they can use them for a one-time food bonus. :p

You don't understand what usi means? Seriously?

Yes, that you can gain more land with founding cities than with conquering other civs.
But I'm not sure he's right about that. Cities like Babylon, Qufu often produce a lot of culture on it's own. So conquering them really helps.

That is not true I'm afraid. The cost of conquering those cities is way higher, while the benefits are low or even negative. There are two reasons for this:

1. You are guaranteed to have a large number of tiles for each city, because nobody will settle in Siberia. The Middle east is always filled with cities.
2. Even if it is not crowded, there are too many water tiles that don't count towards your UHV goal.

So, I think that only Delhi, in the 600AD start that is, may be worth taking, perhaps Sijaris too, and a Central Asian city of course. Any other is a waste of time and resources.

So, I think that only Delhi, in the 600AD start that is, may be worth taking, perhaps Sijaris too, and a Central Asian city of course. Any other is a waste of time and resources.

If you are talking about Mongolia: Did you forget about China?

You have to conquer China anyway, so there's no military unit costs to save.

Is there a trick to getting vassals as Turkey? I'm 500 pts ahead of Russia and suddenly all the small christian civs I've been trying to vassalize all go to him instead. They were all pleased or friendly with me. Any ideas?

That Turkish goal as always a crapshoot. The only viable tactics I know is rush to discover America (and try to warvassalize Aztecs and Inca with your conquerors), and even more generally, play from 3000 BC for more civs.

Having a strong military also increases the likeliness of peacevassals, iirc.

Is there a trick to getting vassals as Turkey? I'm 500 pts ahead of Russia and suddenly all the small christian civs I've been trying to vassalize all go to him instead. They were all pleased or friendly with me. Any ideas?

You might need to subjugate some of your vassals to get the UHV goal. This shouldn't be too hard mind you. The trick is to enable a civ that you have capitulated to remain stable enough to survive until the UHV deadline. This often involves conquering some of their cities and then liberating them (or gifting them back, it amounts to the same thing).

Top Bottom