Strategy for "Power Never Takes..." and "So that we may live in peace"

VetMichael

Chieftain
I was initially worried about the requirements for "Power never takes a Backward Step" ach; not being able to settle another city is a serious handicap! But on the way to unlocking the "So that we may live in peace" ach, I unlocked the "Power" ach as well. Here's what I learned through about half a dozen try-and-fail maps:

1) Blitzkreig scenario is a must; not only do your units move faster, you produce stuff faster, and famous people pop up more often, but you have three cities to start and each has a warrior in them for an instant army off the bat. Be careful, though, your enemies are usually closer than you think, so be sure to replace them ASAP.

2) use the Arabs; IMO they are better than the Zulus, Aztecs, or Germans and here's why: Fundamentalism at the start. Fund gives your warrior army double strength off the bat (3 x 1 = 3 + 3 [+1/unit on attack] = 6 attack, equivalent to a Horseman Army of the opponents. Add "veteran" and the 6 jumps to 9, add infiltration and the 9 jumps to 15, add a general and...well, you get the picture! Not bad for a warrior army you can make by the ton early in the game - all but a well-entrenched archer army in the capital city of your opponents will have a hard time defending against these guys so don't forget other techs as well.

3) target your techs for war: In the winning game, I researched Bronze working, Horseback riding, Mathematics, Feudalism, Navigation, and Democracy (with the ancillary techs along the way). I purposefully did NOT research iron working because I wanted to field armies of catapults early in the game; compared to Legions, catapults win hands down; same defense, but much stronger offense. I eventually wound up getting iron working from my first conquest anyway, so there was no real problem in the long run.

4) aim for capitals whenever possible: take the capitals and fortify the living heck out of them; archers are fast and cheap, especially in capitals since they tend to be the biggest producers on most early game maps. If you feel like it, you can mop up the rest of the civ's cities (usually there's only two others anyway) at your leisure.

5) do not settle a great person: use their talents ASAP to discover hard-to-research techs instantly, build wonders (Samurai Castle, Colosseum, and Leonardo's Workshop), give yourself cash infusions (for hurry production or, to a lesser extent, roads), add population to every city (boost production), and so on. The only exception is if David or Agamemnon appears; settle them in a major production city and crank out awesome units from the get-go.

6) do NOT use a settler - ever! Remember, we're shooting for two difficult birds with this game and settling a new city ruins the "Power..." ach; instead have it join your best production city for a modest production boost. Besides, if you're doing it all right, you're cranking out military units and have already taken at least one enemy city by the time you reach the free settler at 100 gold.

7) Scout around: find the wonders scattered across the globe, especially Confucius' School, Knights Templar, and Atlantis; these boosts of great people, units, and techs are a god send! Also good are the seven cities of gold and the clay army; take the sphinx to prevent other civs from getting Fund easily, if you're so inclined.

8) Abandon a bad map: if one or more of your cities is on an island, restart - the production you put into a galley to transport could produce an entire army of warriors. If you are on an isolated island that requires a galleon to get off, restart - by the time you get off the island, everyone's ready for you. In other words, if your aim is to get both achs (or even just one), then you will need to be able to reach your sister cities to make armies quickly and to be able to reach your enemies when the time comes.

When all was said and done, I conquered the Egyptians, Chinese, Aztecs, and Americans by 450 AD and got both the "Power" and "So that" achs. Hope this helps and I would love to see other people's comments.:goodjob:

I just recently tried to see how quick I could do the "That We May Live in Peace" achievement on Deity. Turns out I was quicker than I expected! I got a 150AD Victory with the Arabs on Deity, very fun game.

On a side note though, I would stop research once you get Feudalism. By that time, you should have the Arab bonus of +1 Horseman and Knight attack and you don't need any superior units. Just switch all production to gold and pump out those Knight armies!

No, I like a challenge and won't abandon a bad map just because I was put into a bad spot. Fight out of it, do anything you can but giving up is a sissy thing to do. I realize your pointers are for folks trying to get the achievements but those are secondary to me. Thinking about achievements reminds me of all the people running around acting like juveniles trying to get achievements for bragging rights.

Of course there are some achievements that are nice challenges though, such as a few in CivRev. Most of which the above mentioned folks will never achieve because instant gratification isn't part of them.

8) Abandon a bad map: if one or more of your cities is on an island, restart - the production you put into a galley to transport could produce an entire army of warriors. If you are on an isolated island that requires a galleon to get off, restart - by the time you get off the island, everyone's ready for you. In other words, if your aim is to get both achs (or even just one), then you will need to be able to reach your sister cities to make armies quickly and to be able to reach your enemies when the time comes.

When all was said and done, I conquered the Egyptians, Chinese, Aztecs, and Americans by 450 AD and got both the "Power" and "So that" achs. Hope this helps and I would love to see other people's comments.:goodjob:

I wish Civ Rev had more challenging achievements. "So that we may live in peace" was probably the toughest one, and it wasn't that difficult for an experienced player. I find difficult achievements add a lot of replayability to the game.

I meant no offense, I just hope you're not one of those who quit during a multiplayer game when you start losing and see no way to win.

I think I may have thought this is what you were implying, sorry.

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion.

Achievements when done right, do indeed add to a game and it's fun to go after those types of achievements. But I was specifically referring to achievements done wrong on other games which is off-topic.

I wish Civ Rev had more challenging achievements. "So that we may live in peace" was probably the toughest one, and it wasn't that difficult for an experienced player. I find difficult achievements add a lot of replayability to the game.

I meant no offense, I just hope you're not one of those who quit during a multiplayer game when you start losing and see no way to win.

I think I may have thought this is what you were implying, sorry.

I take no offense, especially after you explained your reasoning; I also am frustrated at multiplayers who bail after a few turns :mad:.

I think that the wrong map in a situation like this is like having a sandy foundation when trying to build a skyscraper; if the base isn't right, the structure will collapse and you'll have to start over again anyway. Other than going for the ach, however, I absolutely agree with you and the maps are what makes CivRev so replayable.:goodjob:

Well being stuck on an island isn't such a bad thing for your capital. It's isolated so it's defensible in the sense that you can blockade with a fleet in addition to standard city defenses. The opponent has to work at it to take your capital. If you're fortunate enough to have an island with two or more resources, that's a good foundation to build a trireme(galley) and place a warrior and settler on it and find land to establish your empire.

So again, your capital on an island isn't all bad if the island has at least 4 or 5 land tiles with two or more resources on land or in the sea. courthouse and harbor help a lot and with walls and a navy with good defensive units in the city, your capital can be a very good island fortress.

I take no offense, especially after you explained your reasoning; I also am frustrated at multiplayers who bail after a few turns :mad:.

I think that the wrong map in a situation like this is like having a sandy foundation when trying to build a skyscraper; if the base isn't right, the structure will collapse and you'll have to start over again anyway. Other than going for the ach, however, I absolutely agree with you and the maps are what makes CivRev so replayable.:goodjob:

Achievements when done right, do indeed add to a game and it's fun to go after those types of achievements. But I was specifically referring to achievements done wrong on other games which is off-topic.

I know, I wasn't directing my comment at you, I was just saying I wish Civ had more difficult achievements. It had nothing to do with your comments.

Would have been nice... But I think most devs target the achievements at the whiny little . .. .. .. .. .es (10-19+ year olds) that actually care about that sort of thing for bragging rights.

I know, I wasn't directing my comment at you, I was just saying I wish Civ had more difficult achievements. It had nothing to do with your comments.

Now try to do this with the 100% Despotism achievement, and you get some major bragging rights :)

Top Bottom