Subdue Animals mod for RoM

That modcomp sounds useful. After all, raiding another civ's herd is one of the oldest reasons for tribal and clan warfare. Kill the village, take it's herd to your own village, or to the city for slaughter. Is this how your mod works?

That modcomp sounds useful. After all, raiding another civ's herd is one of the oldest reasons for tribal and clan warfare. Kill the village, take it's herd to your own village, or to the city for slaughter. Is this how your mod works?

This mod gives your units the chance of capturing the wild animals instead of killing them out right. There is also a small chance that in stead of capturing the herd animals (Elephant, Horse and Deer) that you will get a resource on the plot they were killed instead.

Currently, these captured animals can be taken back to your cities and turned into a building in that city. The herd animals can build a hunting lodge or a herd building.

That modcomp sounds useful. After all, raiding another civ's herd is one of the oldest reasons for tribal and clan warfare.

I agree, Dancing H has done a great job on what i first had in mind three years ago.:goodjob:

So are you suggesting a mod where you plunder a horse pasture (removing the improvement as is now) getting a horse unit to take back home. Or plundering a horse resource which removes the resource and gives you a horse unit? Or both. Looks nasty to me:D

Both. Not only should you be able to pillage the pasture, but if there is a resource there, you should be able to take that resource and move it to one of your own tiles, or remove it as a resource altogether, by making it a unit.
nasty indeed.

i played on a perfectworld2 map on snail and i deactivated barbarian world option to have sufficient test subjects (wild animals) available for test. but i was unable to subdue a single one before they vanished and only wild humans (barbs) were left. :( how exactly does subduing work? just want to know to have better chances testing this next time.

and i'm still unable to build the hunter. it's close to 1000BC now... :(

Both. Not only should you be able to pillage the pasture, but if there is a resource there, you should be able to take that resource and move it to one of your own tiles, or remove it as a resource altogether, by making it a unit.
nasty indeed.

you suggest that your units will try to wipe out all living horses on a tile when they pillage it? killing one horse shouldn't be a problem but killing them all would require serious amount of time and resources - especially in early times.

yes, at 800 BC i've not seen any animal since more than 2000 years so guess not a chance to test any bit of your mod since i will not be able to build the hunters hut anymore. i guess the AI will not have one either so all i get to see of your mod is just the entries in the civipedia :(

i think the chances are too slim to be able to use your mod in most games. i suggest you make the hunters lodge a national wonder or a certain amount of special buildings. otherwise it will be not possible to build it in most games.

i played on a perfectworld2 map on snail and i deactivated barbarian world option to have sufficient test subjects (wild animals) available for test. but i was unable to subdue a single one before they vanished and only wild humans (barbs) were left. :( how exactly does subduing work? just want to know to have better chances testing this next time.

Just to be sure, you did change the init.xml file in the config folder to include the subdue animals python didn't you?

Normal units only have a 5% chance to subdue animals. Recon units like scout and explorer have a base chance of 25%. This chance is improved by the woodsman and gurella promotions. Also if you have animal husbandry there is a chance that instead of capturing a horse/elephant/deer that you will get a resource where the combat happened instead.

and i'm still unable to build the hunter. it's close to 1000BC now... :(

You cant build a hunter without a hunting lodge. In this release hunting lodges can only be built by subdued animals (horse, elephant and deer).

nasty indeed.

you suggest that your units will try to wipe out all living horses on a tile when they pillage it? killing one horse shouldn't be a problem but killing them all would require serious amount of time and resources - especially in early times.

I agree that pillaging a horse pasture should give you a subdued horse or an horseman but I also agree with Killtech that you should not be able to remove a resource easily.

I think I can code getting a horse(/elephant/deer) unit from pillaging the improvement and StrategyOnly has some code that should make it possible for that unit to create a resource back home. I am not sure about being able to code the removal of a resource even if it were include a unit being unable to move for a number of turns.
Thinking on it I would probably do this as part of another mod - one where spies could steal any growing resource to be transplanted back home.

You cant build a hunter without a hunting lodge. In this release hunting lodges can only be built by subdued animals (horse, elephant and deer).

i know that. and i have no chance now to build one. and i was really looking forward to get this unit and the hawk ofc :cry:

Thinking on it I would probably do this as part of another mod - one where spies could steal any growing resource to be transplanted back home.

Now that sounds like a good modcomp;) I am working on a different one also that you can put certain resources in different places also, but that will take SOME time yet.

really? okay, maybe i set up too many civs. or maybe it's the advanced start option that screwed it. which settings did you use?

I play Tectonics (60% land), standard number of civs, and advance start. Also Barbarian civ and Revolutions.

Edit: I just remembered that when testing I gave myself an explorer which start with woodsman I and guerrela (I will eventually figure out how that is spelt!) promotions each add 10% to the chance of capture! maybe I need to change the probabilities.

@Killtech, below is the python code with probabilities changed. A scout now has 40% chance of subduing an animal. Promotions (woodsman & Guerella I & II) each increase the chance by 5%.

Attached is just the python code it gets (uncompressed and) placed in the python/DancingHoskuld folder replacing the one there.

@Killtech, below is the python code with probabilities changed. A scout now has 40% chance of subduing an animal. Promotions (woodsman & Guerella I & II) each increase the chance by 5%.

Attached is just the python code it gets (uncompressed and) placed in the python/DancingHoskuld folder replacing the one there.

Good, cause i am playing for the first time a Snail game (dont see why anyone can play this darn slow stuff, yuck) and i only captured four animals before the warriors started to appear. (On a 150X79 map)

re:killtech
killing all animals in the area, the herd, is neither necessary nor useful. coralling the herd from one location to another, permanantly, has been done many times historically. As well, the time which passes by in each turn in the ancient era is more than enough time to remove a herd and transplant it.
When resources are valuable in this way, plundering and robbing them can be an excruciating tactic in war!

Question: what would it take to compose some random Events which are tied specifically to hunter units and hunting lodge type buildings. The affect would be the discovery and collection of various animals. Fowl, small game, medium game. etc. These events would pop up as a hunter passes by, regularly, and 'temporary' animal resources would appear on the spot. The duration of the animal resource would not be revealed, only that it is there, it increases trade and food and possibly production on the tile when worked. But sooner or later, it disappears. Petered out. Used up. Or migrated. Many animals follow such patterns, and in modern times we work to make the habitate inviting to such animals, to prolong the game's presence in that location.
EDIT-They would be a fully workable, fully tradeable resource while they last.

Also, there are buildings in AND which double a resource. Such as coal, etc. So you have the resource in the city work area, and the building gives you 2. It shouldn't be difficult to create a building to sustain an animal resource in a city, even after its originating resource tile has gone. Such as Deer Preserve, Apiary, Aviary, Wetland Preserve, etc... Though a random chance should exist to reduce the resource for a time, or wipe it out in the city. Such is the way of nature and disease.

Also, there are buildings in AND which double a resource. Such as coal, etc. So you have the resource in the city work area, and the building gives you 2. It shouldn't be difficult to create a building to sustain an animal resource in a city, even after its originating resource tile has gone. Such as Deer Preserve, Apiary, Aviary, Wetland Preserve, etc... Though a random chance should exist to reduce the resource for a time, or wipe it out in the city. Such is the way of nature and disease.

I did have such buildings but something went very wrong with them, at least on my machine, and I have not had chance to look into them again.

Top Bottom