Suggestion: An early win if you can get far enough ahead

Southern_Hunter

Chieftain
My problem with the game is that it insists that you play until the end. Which is very boring.

A typical game using Continents will see me take out militarily every other civ on that continent, thus giving me 20 or so cities, against 3 or 4 remaining civs on the other continents. I am WAY ahead on score. I AM going to win. But it would take me another 20 hours or so of grinding just so I can say that I got the win. So I quit the game and start a new one.

Why isn't it possible to win a game earlier, not just domination, but by score or culture or science, simply by being ahead. I can be 15 techs ahead of other civs, which should allow me to get the win (eventually), but why make me play it out?

Well, like you say, you can quit whenever you see the game is in the bag. I do it often.

A possible solution to this would be to allow to set yourself a score limit. So if you are at X score during Y turns, then you win by score.

Obviously it would need to be tuned high, and purely optional but it might help end games that you are steamrolling

so if i read correctly, you are trying to solve a consequence rather than solve the cause.

the major problem every nation in the world got is that the greater they are the harder it is to rule them.

the best way would be to make the science per turn be the average science per citizen. (could also work for culture and faith)

so as an example, a civ with 20 pop and generating 100 science would have a science per turn of 5 while a civ of 50 pop and a science of 200 would have a science per turn of 4

that way, a smaller civ would have some chance to get back in the race.

also if we add the fact that recently capture cities wont freely collaborate with the invader (so dont fully contribute to science for a given number of turn) then capturing too many cities at the same time would result in the science per turn falling quite low and allowing others to take the lead.

in that aspect, you would get an ambivalence science per turn / eureka. a large civ would get a lower science per turn but a higher chance to get the eureka to negate it.

Agree with that and I think the solution is to rework the Diplomatic Victory which should be the one handling that case.

Each civilization would vote for you if you suprass them by x% on all major fields (science, culture, money, military power,...) recognizing that you're the leader and they cannot catch up.

And if let say you're way ahead all civs but 1 which is still more or less not that far from you. You would send a big army to his border, maybe start a war and show him who's the boss if he doesn't understand. And he will have to sign peace treaty with a "OK you win" agreement, end of game, diplomatic victory.

In real world, that's very much like how diplomacy works.

Is solves 2 problems, the one in the OP, and the actual Diplomatic Victory which is a pain. And in the end nothing else can make sense for a Diplomatic Victory.

Top Bottom