Suggestions and Requests

Some suggestions about the Chinese area.

1. Starting spot
Civ4ScreenShot0006A.jpg
Civ4ScreenShot0007A.jpg
Why start on the only non-riverside spot when literally every other tile in the BFC is by a river?
Of course the human player can spend 1~2 turns to move to other more preferable locations,
but the AI will always settle on the starting spot.
Why not move it one tile down?

2. City & Resource Locations in 600 AD & 1700 AD Scenario (especially regarding the Confu. Holy City)

- Xian should be moved 1S in both scenarios, as with the starting spot of the 3000 BC scenario.
Civ4ScreenShot0000bC.jpg Civ4ScreenShot0001aAA.jpg
Civ4ScreenShot0003A.jpg Civ4ScreenShot0002AAA.jpg
- Kaifeng should probably be replaced with Luoyang, which is a much older city and the captial of many dynasties including the Han and the Tang Empires.
(Not too sure about this, because Kaifeng was also a huge city from the Song era -in which Kaifeng served as capital- and on, probably bigger than Luoyang in the later eras)
- Nankin (600AD) and Shanghai (1700AD) should be replaced with Qingzhou (2N of Nankin), and Qingzhou should be the Confu. Holy City.
The accurate location of the San Kong. With the lack of Qingzhou in the current version, Nankin and Shanghai are (wrongfully) represented as the holy cities.
Qingzhou as a city would also represent the importance of the Shandong area, which was a major economic powerhouse due to its location at the mouth of the Yellow River.
Not too mention that the close-packed Kaifeng, Nankin, and Hangzhou in the 600 AD makes limits tile uses of each others.
Civ4ScreenShot0009j.jpg
- Move Kagoshima in the 1700 AD scenario 1N1W to Nagasaki, so it won't be settled on Gold and would dispute over the Pearls with Hangzhou.
- A mild suggestion: move the fish 1N1E of Hangzhou 1N, to include it in the BFC of Hanseong and therefore create a cultural border dispute over the resource, as it would be the case with the pearls between Nagasaki and Hangzhou.

3. Core/Historical Area of China
Civ4ScreenShot0004A.jpg
Civ4ScreenShot0004B.jpg
Currently, the row in the pink box turns to core area after China is resurrected after its destruction from Mongolia.
(Not too sure about the Mongols, but it is definitely not core from the beginning, and definitely becomes core after resurrection)
But why should the Mongols, or any resurrections, have to do with anything about those tiles becoming core?
The development and Sinification of the Yangtze riverside was not the result of Northern invasions.
And human players would never have those tiles as core because they would be defeated after collapse.
I suggest that it become core somewhere between 1000 AD and 1300 AD (so the timing is not too much different from the current version).
This would also allow more diverse city placements from players who want their cities to be in core.

Also, in the current version Taiwan is Chinese historical area from the very beginning.
IRL, they were inhabited by distant relatives of the Polynesians until the 13th century when Ming refugees fled to the island from the Mongolian horde.
Therefore I suggest that Taiwan become historical area only after the Mongolian invasion.
This could be implemented by either a fixed date (somewhere between 1200 and 1300),
after China loses a city to the Mongols, or after their resurrection from their collapse from the Mongols.

4. Core Area of Japan
Civ4ScreenShot0008Cc.jpg
Why is the southern area of the Japanese islands not core until the 1800s or so?
I can understand the late transformation into Historical Area of Hokkaido,
but Kyushu and Shikoku should be Japanese core at least by 1600, when the Tokugawa Shogunate was established IRL.

5. Historical Area of Korea
Civ4ScreenShot0010A.jpg
Korea has the smallest number of tiles in Historical+Core Area in the game,
when IRL the Goguryeo Kingdom disputed with China and the Khitai over Liaodong and parts of Manchuria,
and the Balhae Kingdom controlled the Northeastern coasts of the Korean peninsula after the fall of Goguryeo.
I suggest that the Korean Historical Area be extended to cover the Liaodong penninsula and southeastern tiles of Manchuria,
so that it will
(a) encourage the Korean AI to expand towards these area, creating a dispute with China, Mongolia and later on, Russia.
(b) ensure the 4 cities needed for the Korean Historical Victory be inside their Core/Historical Area.

I would also like to make vast changes to the map of China, Mongolia, Manchuria, and Korea to better fit with the actually geography of these regions,
but it is a big job and would take much more time and effort.......

It would be more useful to focus your attention on the new map.

Will the new map replace the old map entirely or will it still be possible to play on the old/small map?

In the short to mid term, it will replace the current map. I have been thinking about making the mod compatible with different kinds of maps but I don't want to make that a requirement for the new map.

Would there be an interest in systematically shortening Varietas Delectat file and/or folder names in order to make life easier for Steamers and other people with long install paths? I propose a concerted community effort to rename all Varietas Delectat folders to be as short as possible while still making sense. The Varietas Delectat folder itself could be renamed to VD for instance, and for all the civ folders we can just take the 3 letter abbreviations already in use for text strings and Modifiers.py.

Yes, I considered this too, but at the very least this requires doing it through Git.

However, I would prefer if someone would investigate first if there is an alternative solution to deal with the long Steam path prefix.

It would be more useful to focus your attention on the new map.
Yes, but wouldnt the new map take another year or so to be incorporated in the game?
That is why I suggested these core/city placement changes because they would take far less time to be actually implemented.

Yes but conversely I don't really want to think about and work on map changes that will be discarded later on anyway.

(Ninja'd by Leoreth)

I would also like to make vast changes to the map of China, Mongolia, Manchuria, and Korea to better fit with the actually geography of these regions,
but it is a big job and would take much more time and effort.......
Yes, but wouldnt the new map take another year or so to be incorporated in the game?
That is why I suggested these core/city placement changes because they would take far less time to be actually implemented.
(Emphasize mine: yes it would take far less time, but this stuff still TAKES time)

Leoreth is currently developing 1.16 (in his free time, while putting up with all of us piling on new ideas. I appreciate that!), and that version will completely overhaul gameplay. Once 1.16 is in the final stage, every single civilization needs to be reworked, because the larger map completely throws all current UHV strategies out of the window. You know, the strategies that require the player to move the army/settlers/workers to points of the map within a certain timeframe. Unless Leoreth also plans to rework the turns and/or the moves/turn for all units.

Lee, You want fixes to make 1.15 perfect. Because it clearly isn't, and several civs and their UHVs are inherently broken, i.e. can't be normally won even on the simplest difficulty level. But the current release is playable and bugfree which is wonderful. I can play with that.

Now, Leoreth can't do both at the same time. If you want to create a 1.15.1 version, you or someone else needs to do the development, especially all the balancing and playtesting. Of course, I would also like to get a "fixed" version of 1.15 (without all the new stuff and without the new wonders, etc.), but I urge Leoreth to leave the perfection-ing to someone else.

Yeah, that's just how my development process works. Excepting game breaking bugs, I develop both fixes and new features at same time and will release them together as the next major version.

I know that the focus has been on new features lately, and a lot of bug reports and improvement requests have been piling up in the background. But I have kept track of them and will return to them while the new content is in the playtesting phase.

I recently played a game with English on version 1.15 and i met a historical discrepancy: Trafalgar Square is available BEFORE Westminster Palace.

Westminster Palace is a medieval or renaissance building, and Trafalgar Square is Napoleonic Era.

I recently played a game with English on version 1.15 and i met a historical discrepancy: Trafalgar Square is available BEFORE Westminster Palace.

Westminster Palace is a medieval or renaissance building, and Trafalgar Square is Napoleonic Era.
The Westminster parliamentary system, however, is definitively post-napoleonic by a few decades. The building only represents the system, I d say.

While we're at it (this is assuming Trafalgar Square's effect is still the same as in 1.15), historically speaking Trafalgar Square was built after the deadline of the English ship UHV. I propose that either the deadline be moved back or the wonder effect is changed to something that helps when you already own a large navy instead of extra experience. How about halved (or no, or -90% or something) unit upkeep from naval units?

Pottala Palace is way after Tibet UHV deadline too, I wouldn't say that the Square should be available earlier.
But I like the naval upkeep reduction idea.

While we're at it (this is assuming Trafalgar Square's effect is still the same as in 1.15), historically speaking Trafalgar Square was built after the deadline of the English ship UHV. I propose that either the deadline be moved back or the wonder effect is changed to something that helps when you already own a large navy instead of extra experience. How about halved (or no, or -90% or something) unit upkeep from naval units?

Maybe it could be substitute Trafalgare Square with East Trading Company to get bonus to build ships faster.
However in my game i used caribbean colonies to build Frigades and i got ship UHV without any bonus help.

That could also be a nice bonus for a new (Venetian) Arsenal wonder.

No, the Arsenal could get the old Trafalgar bonus instead, duh.

main difference of the Venetian Arsenal was that ships in Genoa were privately owned, while in Venice they were produced by the state in this organized Arsenal and then rented to the Venetians. To simulate this ships produced in Arsenal can give gold to the player or they can have no upkeep, I believe it's very appropriate. IIRC Arsenal was also able to produce a ship every day, so a production bonus can be given too.

Top Bottom